sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
So I guess your opinion is more meaningful than a captain of a sport boat who does it for a living. There’s no incentive of saying albacore on 976 tuna website. When he’s sold out either way. Yellowfin or yellowtail. Still sold out. Yah..... your post is bull shit. There’s some truth to this confirmation.
When we're these albies caught by the Grande? I thought they were in the yard getting a new bait tank?

Iron Mike

Experienced
Sep 30, 2009
SAN DIEGO
Name
Mike
Boat
35 Cabo Express
Never posted Tanner or Cortes is in Mexican waters, I know they are not just as i know you did not surf Cortez bank in the 60's however old you were or who your brother was or what boat he worked on. Stick to fish stories or I will feed you to my boys on Surfer Mag posts and have chime in here at how ridiculous your claim is
FEED AWAY !

keenfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 5, 2003
Newport Beach
www.pbase.com
Name
Dave
Boat
6'5" CI Flyer
Not True I was in my late teens by bother and his friends all in their 20s all worked rock cod tuna boats back than ,.,.and you say not True ? and this is coming from the one who thinks the Tanner Cortez is in Mexico ! yea right ....Try again .
So Iron Mike, let me get this straight. You were paddling into waves at Cortes Bank back in the 60's 100 miles offshore with no support vehicles like the modern day ski's that are there whenever an expedition goes out there to try and achieve this with film crews and the like in tow.

You are a straight up liar. Never happened pal. You should retire your handle here after this claim because no one will ever believe your fish stories ever again.

Here are two quick vids that catalog what it's like out there when that wave actually breaks and it's really not all that often and it certainly rarely finds the conditions even remotely good enough to actually take a run at it.

I'm sorry buddy. If you would have said SCI I might have bought it but no way on Cortes Bank. Do you have a unicorn in your barn?

bassnet

Nov 30, 2003
OC
www.bassackwardsoc.com
Name
Chris
Boat
2007 Champion 183
So Iron Mike, let me get this straight. You were paddling into waves at Cortes Bank back in the 60's 100 miles offshore with no support vehicles like the modern day ski's that are there whenever an expedition goes out there to try and achieve this with film crews and the like in tow.

You are a straight up liar. Never happened pal. You should retire your handle here after this claim because no one will ever believe your fish stories ever again.

Here are two quick vids that catalog what it's like out there when that wave actually breaks and it's really not all that often and it certainly rarely finds the conditions even remotely good enough to actually take a run at it.

I'm sorry buddy. If you would have said SCI I might have bought it but no way on Cortes Bank. Do you have a unicorn in your barn?
would love to hear more about the surfing at Cortes back in the day- Todos blew my mind in the early 90's- maybe Bishop Rock breaks on some smaller days that aren't XXXL? Our islands have some quirky breaks... Heard of guys surfing pukey @ N island back in the day, how does that even happen? Maybe it doesn't. Have seen ride-able ledgey waves on the point at Pyramid, never seen anybody out there- anybody surfed the runway?

Iron Mike

Experienced
Sep 30, 2009
SAN DIEGO
Name
Mike
Boat
35 Cabo Express

Never said we had jet skis never said we need support craft we had in late 69 I was 19 friends in their mid 20s Bishop breaks at 4 to 6 foot ..gezz never rode anything larger out there so I dont give a shit it was what it was really retire dont think so .

Iron Mike

Experienced
Sep 30, 2009
SAN DIEGO
Name
Mike
Boat
35 Cabo Express

In the summer of 1961, surfer Harrison Early of Oceanside, California became one of the very first people to surf a wave at the Bishop Rock. In around 1973, surfer Ilima Kalama, father of big wave surfer Dave Kalama, nearly died when the abalone fishing boat he was aboard sank on the Bishop Rock in the middle of the night.[18]

LOOK IT UP !..done ..............

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
I used to do a charter a year to cortes bank and jumped on a lot of others.95% of the time you wake up at clemente,lol.
Everything has to line up for just getting there,let alone during a good bite or big wave occurence.

Tar Pit

Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
For those who remember how we used to fish for albacore drag a zucchini around until the boat would get a strike and bring the school to the boat. Throw a lot of chum and hope for the best. I do remember a lot of trips with little or no fish. Today bring on the side scan sonar.
I remember those boat rides on the Holiday.

Reactions: mike mitchell

Iron Mike

Experienced
Sep 30, 2009
SAN DIEGO
Name
Mike
Boat
35 Cabo Express
would love to hear more about the surfing at Cortes back in the day- Todos blew my mind in the early 90's- maybe Bishop Rock breaks on some smaller days that aren't XXXL? Our islands have some quirky breaks... Heard of guys surfing pukey @ N island back in the day, how does that even happen? Maybe it doesn't. Have seen ride-able ledgey waves on the point at Pyramid, never seen anybody out there- anybody surfed the runway?
As a Kid was there one time in 69 winter when it is more predictable it wasn't big next time was mid 70s and 80s than had to stop to many back Surgery's Howard Benedict long time friend and water man surfed Todos it finally got him one day and held him under and he passed a few weeks later great read about him in San Diego free divers I do not know how Pukey would hold surf never seen it that Big nor had I ever seen Cortez BIG ! other then on Film ...seen La Jolla and Black over 20 but never ventured out nor would I ever claim to want to go out ...back in the 60s all I can say the Fishing was fantastic at the Cortez Tanner ....and Its not like it used to be ......

Reactions: bassnet

trunk777

Jul 24, 2006
yorba linda
Name
mike
Boat
yours
Not sure what to think of this considering no sport boat has been out for how long ? Almost sounds like a"Let's talk Hookup" fish report,always wide open and the best its ever been.
its turned into a infomercial

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
hb ca usa
Name
gary
Boat
n/a
Back in the Day, I always wonder what day, as someday this will be back in the day and yet now all we think about is someday.

bassnet

Nov 30, 2003
OC
www.bassackwardsoc.com
Name
Chris
Boat
2007 Champion 183
..seen La Jolla and Black over 20 but never ventured out nor would I ever claim to want to go out .
October 87 epic fog swell!- so said the path to uppers for years. Blacks was pumping during that one and sketchy not being able to see 50 yards. Sorry Seal! Iron Mike appreciate your stories! Love reading this stuff. Sorry to hear about your buddy at Todos- many fun days out there when I was much younger. Never been to Cortez but had good fishing for albies and forks at Tanner

Reactions: Iron Mike

rick Jackson

"Carpe diem"
May 28, 2015
Name
RIP Jim Peterson
Boat
Glasspar Avalon/SeaQuest
Cortes gets gnarly. Had a Rogue Wave send 93' foot F/V First String sideways
in the middle of the night on a 2-day. Spent the whole morning cleaning up
Colonel Cook chili he left of the burner off the ceiling of the Galley.

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen