aquaholic

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
Going on a 1.5 leaving Sunday night from SD. The wind on the tuna grounds looks to be 15 to 20. Any tips for fishing bluefin in the wind? I have a private boat and have fished in worse so not worried about the weather, just wondering what’s the best way to get bent from a sport boat in the wind.

Thanks for any help
Robert

Reactions: Shewillbemine

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
I hate wind. I just won't get on the boat if the heavy wind conditions are 100 percent sure thing to happen. In my 50 years of fishing i hace never caught a fish when it is "victory at sea" conditions

aquaholic

Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
I hate wind. I just won't get on the boat if the heavy wind conditions are 100 percent sure thing to happen.
That would certainly be the case if I were running my private boat. If I wouldn’t lose my deposit I might consider rebooking this trip too. Took the time off work, my kids did too so I’m going. Been looking forward to it for a long time (annual trip we do) so to hell with the wind. It does suck though because it’s harder to fish and harder to find them too.

Robert

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
If the winds in your face - you're in the right place

aquaholic

Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
Ha. Yeah I’ve fished enough to know you don’t piss into the wind but fish that side of the boat. I was more asking for specific advice on how to fish when it’s windy compared to the norm.

-Robert

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Ha. Yeah I’ve fished enough to know you don’t piss into the wind but fish that side of the boat. I was more asking for specific advice on how to fish when it’s windy compared to the norm.

-Robert
when the wind is blowing more then 10 Knots,,
it really screws up the Kelp patty Fishing.

aquaholic

Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
As SouthBayKiller stated I’m sure I’ll have to throw heavier jigs and add a few oz to my sinker rig. I’m guessing tossing a flylined bait for distance will be difficult other than the downwind corner.

-Robert

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Going on a 1.5 leaving Sunday night from SD. The wind on the tuna grounds looks to be 15 to 20. Any tips for fishing bluefin in the wind? I have a private boat and have fished in worse so not worried about the weather, just wondering what’s the best way to get bent from a sport boat in the wind.

Thanks for any help
Robert
What boat?? I just got off an 8 dayer on the shogun with constant 20-30 mph winds for a few days and it was a little rocky but was still fishable

finsane

Jabroni
Oct 11, 2005
California
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
The old days of albacore and Morro Bay? Among other things...
San Diego, big wind and swell. Limit style yellowfin, and dorado bite. Hook a fish and while walking up to the bow seeing the fish in the swell riding along side the boat. One hand on the rod, the other on the handrail.
barf

Reactions: kevina

aquaholic

Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
What boat?? I just got off an 8 dayer on the shogun with constant 20-30 mph winds for a few days and it was a little rocky but was still fishable
Pac Queen. Been doing an annual trip with my sons for awhile now on the Queen. Been really lucky with the weather up until this trip :-). I’ve definitely fished in worst (albie fishing from my private boat). Gavin and crew always find the fish if they are around. Just wondering if there was anything different about fishing the wind. I’ll just fish a little heavier and go from there.

-Robert

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Pac Queen. Been doing an annual trip with my sons for awhile now on the Queen. Been really lucky with the weather up until this trip :-). I’ve definitely fished in worst (albie fishing from my private boat). Gavin and crew always find the fish if they are around. Just wondering if there was anything different about fishing the wind. I’ll just fish a little heavier and go from there.

-Robert
Just watch Out for the bait tank ,
Because it will drench you on the starboard side, when it’s rough.

Reactions: Let em eat 74