kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    All the fish pictures you see from half day trips and up to muti day trips where the fish is gaffed and the crew is holding it soooo far away from the body to Enhance the size of the fish, When the gaff is literally horizonal to make a 5 lb fish look like its 20lb and so on. People can't see the gaff horizonal and away from the body????.You could do the same with a sardine with the camera up close and make it look huge. To me, it's a form of misleading advertisement. What ever happened to the days when the gaff was vertical showing the true size. It's the same as the landing telling you the fish are 15-30lbs, When in fact their only 5-10lbs if your lucky with 1 or 2 fish close to 30 lbs (more like 20lbs). What else are they bull shiting about???

Upvote 0

Brass_Slacks

Oct 30, 2014
    Name
    Hank
    Boat
    Public
    Dude the deckhands hold it like that because it looks better. It’s not some sinister conspiracy to defraud the recreational fishing community. Believe it or not the surly dude with the hangover who throws bait and untangles rent rods probably isn’t capable of building or even participating in something that complicated.

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany
    Upvote 0

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
    Jul 5, 2004
    Dublin, CA
    Name
    Harold Head
    Boat
    1971 BW Menemsha
    I'm a lousy fisherman, but all my fish are huge! (I only keep the big fish pics).

And I take the shots from the grassy knoll....

Upvote 0

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
    At least they haven’t employed Mackerel Man in their efforts.

602DE5B4-C605-4D27-9C99-D4558D3CAE8B.jpeg

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Just try and relax and fish...

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    Most pics of fish suck, and they look way smaller than in person, doing this helps with picture quality. Sometimes they take it a little too far though.

Upvote 0

hronk

Almost A Member
    Jul 26, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    18' Tracker
    Look at the guide pics from Crowley Lake.... The clients fingers look like they are 2lbs each

Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 14, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    n/a
    What bothers me more are those tiny fish being kept...

Totally agree that if it were me personally, I wouldn't have kept those fish unless they were not release-able.

That said...if it's legal to keep then to each their own. For all we know that person had a group of friends/family ready for a fish fry when they got home. I hope they did, those are some tasty critters.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    Totally agree that if it were me personally, I wouldn't have kept those fish unless they were not release-able.

That said...if it's legal to keep then to each their own. For all we know that person had a group of friends/family ready for a fish fry when they got home. I hope they did, those are some tasty critters.

The vast majority of rock fish cannot be released safely unless you know how to send the fish back down, and I expect less than 1% of party boat passengers know how to do this.

That said, I also advise people to stop crying over small rock fish. It's actually better for the species that the small fish are kept. People who high grade end up doing more damage than people who just grab their limit and go, because the risk of a failed release is high and the big fish are critical to the preservation of the species.

It's like bass fishing in those lakes where they tell you to take the 1 pound fish, but leave the 5 pound alone. Same logic, and what I hate to see these days, is not people keeping small rock fish, but people throwing dozens of the small fish back to feed the birds for every large fish they keep.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sdrepairman
    Upvote 0