SPORTBOAT CAPTIAN IN BED WITH SEINERS?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by zcutbait, Jun 11, 2012.

?

is it ethical for sportboat captains be involved with commercial seiners?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2012.
  1. Yes

33.7%
  2. F*ck NO

66.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarborought

Scarborought Boatless

Name:
    tim
    Boat:
    none
    The bigger and real problem is diversity in diet. Japan consumes 80% of the Tuna caught in the world. Countries will always figure ways to sell it as long as there is a customer. That's capitalism. Reduce the demand and pressure on the product is reduced. Not likely to happen but hey, fast food is all over in Japan now selling burgers. Anyone for a Panko crusted Big Mac? :)

2. Mfish618

Mfish618 Sea Reaper

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19 FT. Searay, 17 ft Champion
    I know the Condor crew would never participate in this activity. Personally, I hate seiners and believe they're the #1 threat to our bluefin stocks.

Everyone needs to make a living, and I'm a former commercial fisher, but I'd like to see our bluefin [they migrate on both sides of the border] get a break for a change.

3. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    :rofl:

They are not "our" bluefin. Are they yours like someone who lives in North Dakota? Everyone wasn't complaining 3-5 years ago when fishing was good. Now, everyone is entitled to "theirs".

Too funny, so free market only works when it's in your (I'm talking to the thread, NOT you) favor?

4. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    I beg to differ.

They definitely are "our" bluefin, as in yours mine and everyone elses.

It's all in the interpretation, but me thinks that's what he meant.

The unknown fisherman:p:

5. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    I have no idea why I'm replying to you because no matter what, I'm wrong...but please explain why we are entitled to bluefin?

WE do what for them? They use our roads, schools, medical, what?

I'll check in tomorrow...

6. Mfish618

Mfish618 Sea Reaper

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    I believe the resources belong to the people [as in ALL of us]. I never claimed they were ''mine''.
    My whole point is that without some solid management THEY will belong to the highest bidder at a fish auction.
    I'm a little baffled I need to clarify this point.

7. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    The word "ours" It's a general statement. It means ours as in all of ours.

Why would I or the other guy need to explain to anybody why we are entitled to bluefin...... why wouldn't we be, should be the more pressing question.

As for this:

So I guess that means you are always right? LOL Silly me for voicing my opinion and not agreeing with you.... what was I thinking :2gunsfiring_v1:

The unknown fisherman:p:

8. johnnylite

johnnylite Never too late to change.

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Triumph 210cc
    I tend to lean toward the Tommy response. Kid with opinions but willing to learn. Really though " Watch your back?" Come on now.
    Who the hell are you?

9. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    :rofl:

I want to be entitled to a WSB. :puff:

10. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Kudos to Zeke for speaking up!!! Good job Zeke! We feel a notion , we bring it up , then we discuss it. We all learn this way. Sorry if any of the girls offended you buddy!!!

11. Shaka760

Shaka760 Member

Name:
    Craig Taylor
    Boat:
    2007 Nitro 482

Gotta agree. Though I think Zeke's rant was a bit premature in general, the whole "Watch your back, pinhead, etc...." does not sit very well with me. I commented on this thread because of what I know are facts in the industry. I too have worked both sides of the fence, and will not back down from my point of view, but the whole watch your back thing is sounding a bit like a bully, which I think is lame.

12. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    I think it's pretty unlikely that someone with a multi million dollar investment in the Shogun really is doing that for just some kinda info as to where he can wrap some immature BFT.

More like he has a stake in the boat and the industry's success, which is good for us. And even more likely that it keeps channels open between them and us.

Now, if you want to start a thread about wrapping immature fish before they have a chance to make more BFT then we can talk about what might or might not be best long term for the resource that YES belongs to all of us equally. But I'd say we each have a pretty small claim individually other than to have a right to be certain they are not completely wiped out, not that we have a fundamental right to kill as many as we can.

Don't stress it OP, it's better to have strong opinions but have a flexible response when you learn things are (as they always are) a definite shade of grey rather than the simple black and white me might see at first glance.

13. Shaka760

Shaka760 Member

Name:
    Craig Taylor
    Boat:
    2007 Nitro 482
    ....BTW, does anybody here realize how many fish are missed on a set? Does anybody know the process that happens after "Let 'er go" is said and the pelican clip gets slammed and the skiff slips back? Point of no return..... Nets tear, fish move, it's always a gamble.... It's a crazy thing jumping off a perfectly good boat, straight into the net not knowing what might be in there to try and keep the fish in the net. Have you seen the choker line snap under 20 tons of pressure and kill your friend? Have you seen the Ammonia tank blow, killing your chief engineer and having to abandon ship because the ammonia fumes were literally burning your lungs? Have you ever had to sew 600 fathoms of net because it got caught on the rudder on the set and spend 72 hours without sleep because of it?..... Believe it or not, the guys on the seiners have to work for it too.... Remember that.

14. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    I had seared BFT for dinner tonight.

Carry on.......................

15. Professor

Professor Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Yale
    Boat:
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    Sounds delish, but I don't want to know who or what you were in bed with.

16. AZTunaBaron

AZTunaBaron Newbie

Name:
    Baron was my dog
    Boat:
    Someday
    Seems to be WFO on Zeek. Little of the bashing of Zeek here has actually supported an argument with any evidence against the original poll/statement and inclination that it may be unethical to be involved with both types of business. If you are going to say seiners are beneficial to sportfishing, some evidence would be judicious. Not just this one time, "they called us in on a school."

Furthermore, it would be enlightening to see evidence that shows feeding (from the surrounding ecosystem) what should be a migrating animal as a long term non-migrating animal has NO impact on the rest of the natural ecosystem. A notion that HAS been put forth here.

And the "watch your back" statement; really? Wow.

17. Mfish618

Mfish618 Sea Reaper

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    There's no question commercial fishing is grueling work, and I've manned a net needle more times than I care to remember. I meant no disrespect to commercials in general...........

18. Shaka760

Shaka760 Member

Name:
    Craig Taylor
    Boat:
    2007 Nitro 482

Weird, how do we get the bait we use to fill our receivers?.... just askin'....

19. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    from the blue MPAs. the arguement of bait for recs vs bait for pens is different from the OPs' original ethics "poll". While the bait for recs vs feed for pens is not our call in Mexican waters, it IS a major issue in regards to future mariculture in california.

anyway, back to "ethics" and tunas pens and sportboat operators.....I remember back a decade or so when the pens got going strong. The sport fishing financiers involved were more than just the one that the OP mentioned. ;)

I didnt vote in the poll cuz someone elses professional ethics isnt my call.

20. Shaka760

Shaka760 Member

Name:
    Craig Taylor
    Boat:
    2007 Nitro 482
    Trust me guys. When I went to work(on the "Dark side") of seiners, I felt like I was betraying my roots as a recreational fisherman, but my family has been involved in this business before I was born. I felt I owed it to my parents to at least see it and live it for myself..... That being said, I understand where many of you are coming from, but to be honest, without the commercial fleet here in San Diego first, there might not be a long-range, or any sport fishing fleet in San Diego period. Do you think in the 1920's a guy on a skiff found the W. Fly?.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.