Name
Yusef
Boat
None
GENERAL
Cachan gringos illegal fishing
  • Comments (0)
  • By Gerardo Sánchez, The Watcher
    The Navy detected Americans fishing in Mexican waters without permits and although they said sport fishing catch quotas exceeded established by law.
    Therefore, in case of surprise others in those conditions be detained and seized their boats, said Matthias Rydalch Arjona.
    While participating as a guest of the Group 21 Secretary of State Fisheries and Aquaculture, said the situation was reported to the authorities of the United States, including a meeting on the subject in San Diego, California was held.
    The purpose, said the state official is warning all those doing sport fishing must have the appropriate permissions to enter into Mexican waters and subject to catch quotas established for anglers.
    He indicated that a review by the Navy Department found several boats in Mexican waters, it was detected that some were made without permission and in some cases exceeded the limits for fishing.
    In one of the reviews, said Arjona Rydalch, a boat carrying 74 copies of tuna, which is well above the provisions made for sport fishing who was intercepted.
    Secretary of Fisheries and Aquaculture said that in that operating no arrests and only many "warned", but since the agreement with the authorities of the neighboring country to be established to report sports fishermen that will each receive strong sanctions if they fail to Mexican law.

Inform EU
    The Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture said the situation was reported to the authorities of the United States, including a meeting on the subject in San Diego, California was held.

Upvote 0

carcass

Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
There were many boats down there. If true ,word will get out as to what boat it was.

What would send a serious message is banning one of the long range boats from even entering Mexican waters for the rest of the year.

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
There were many boats down there. If true ,word will get out as to what boat it was.

What would send a serious message is banning one of the long range boats from even entering Mexican waters for the rest of the year.

I think that is coming. Possibly pulled the boat in question mexican boat permit.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Just typing out loud...pure speculation....

I'm thinking who ever it was that got the warning was very lucky. With the humanitarian crisis going on at our southern border, could you imagine the political blowback if a boat WAS confiscated and American citizens hauled off to a Mexican courtroom???

"Tonight on The O'riley Factor we'll update you on the American Marine being held in a Mexican jail, sensationalize the Central American orphans at the border......and get a load of this, now the Mexican Navy is DETAINING American fishermen and confiscating their boats because they caught a few too many TOOOOONAFISH (add O's sarcasm)!!!! They can't police their northern border but they can police TOOOOONAFISH????"

Personally, I was hoping the anglers DID get BUSTED and got the book thrown at them because what THEY did was nothing short of sticking fingers in the eyes of every angler both American AND Mexican.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Lacey Act

Today it is primarily used to prevent the importation or spread of potentially dangerous non-native species. The Lacey Act also makes it unlawful to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase in interstate or foreign commerce any plant in violation of the laws of the United States, a state, an Indian tribe, or any foreign law that protects plants.

I don't see anytihing there that would cause the Lacey act to be invoked by sport fishing not illegal in the US. Not that there isn't some law but this doesn't seem to be it.[/quote
Lacey Act

Today it is primarily used to prevent the importation or spread of potentially dangerous non-native species. The Lacey Act also makes it unlawful to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase in interstate or foreign commerce any plant in violation of the laws of the United States, a state, an Indian tribe, or any foreign law that protects plants.

I don't see anytihing there that would cause the Lacey act to be invoked by sport fishing not illegal in the US. Not that there isn't some law but this doesn't seem to be it.

I'm not a lawyer, but the DFW warden asked for my mexcian license. I asked him why he was interested. He said by the powers of the lacey act he is able to check and fine for fishing without a mex license

Upvote 0

stucktip

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 3, 2011
OG Spring Valley, currently- North Park, San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
Whatever
I hope every one of those boats that are keeping bluefin get busted. Especially the sport boats. They know damn well they cannot take bluefin. Not only are they risking getting fines and boats seized and screwing it up for the rest of us but they are also putting their passengers at risk. Who knows what the Mexican authorities could or would do. They deserve what they get. There was plenty of warning and it is no secret or misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

GoldChops

Fish fetchin' dog
May 8, 2014
San Pedro
Name
Chops
Boat
Yes
Its going to be like an action movie where boat names and CF #s change throughout the day to smuggle BFT.:imdumb:

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
What's the name of the boat that is confiscated?....

Upvote 0

oh da shiz

did you say go pheeesh
Jun 13, 2006
Escondido
Name
Jason
Boat
Ranger Z21
This reminds me of the US sportie that was fishing todos santos islands a few years back for YT after the agreement was passed not to fish the islands by the US fleet. It only takes one arsehat to ruin it for all.....

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Anyone remember (from the 60's) the James Bond toy car ? You could push down on the antenna and the license plate would change...

Bluefin tuna fishing aboard the Bluefin Killer, wait, Fisher 911, wait, Chicken of the Sea...

Upvote 0

Kenchisan

May 20, 2009
Thousand Oaks
Name
ken
Boat
I found out the hard way about boats
I have parsed it to the best of my spanish and my native neighbor and we both agreed the article sounds more like a shot across the bow to anglers...

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I have parsed it to the best of my spanish and my native neighbor and we both agreed the article sounds more like a shot across the bow to anglers...

I read it as a Baja California official taking a meaningless yet aggressive stance in front of an anti-American audience to gain political points...which the internet article can help him achieve. Not so much a shot at the US, but rather a way to look tough and strong to what he believes is his constituency.

Remember to whom he was actually speaking. If the "meeting" in San Diego had been that big a deal (Big Shot Mexican politician comes to California and rattles the Mexican saber), I am pretty sure we would have heard about the meeting...

Reactions: junkyarded
Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
I hope every one of those boats that are keeping bluefin get busted. Especially the sport boats. They know damn well they cannot take bluefin. Not only are they risking getting fines and boats seized and screwing it up for the rest of us but they are also putting their passengers at risk. Who knows what the Mexican authorities could or would do. They deserve what they get. There was plenty of warning and it is no secret or misunderstanding.

There's a post on all cost that detailed how the sporties are trying to get a cover in case of an inspection and BFT was found in possession. I can't believe they would stooped so low to be poachers. And the post referenced with pictures a well known and respected sporty too. I am done with SD long range boats. There is no integrity there anymore. I fished for sports not meat damn it..

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Don't see anything in the article about carrying bluefin tuna. Only paper work and over limits. The limits are set and easy to understand, except the 'species'. I always thought it is 5 yft and 5 albies. I don't remember my biology that well but YFT and BFT are of different species hence the ability to keep 5 of each in mexico, no more than ten total.

That said the sport boat was busted for over limits and papaer work, not the species it was carrying.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Im thinking the original post is bullshit,why do it ?

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Its obvious by the posts here and elsewhere the sportboats kept fishing bluefin in mexico and called them "tuna" instead of bft or yft. What a joke. Lets hope the penalties are for individual boats and not for everyone.

Upvote 0

carcass

Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
Don't see anything in the article about carrying bluefin tuna. Only paper work and over limits. The limits are set and easy to understand, except the 'species'. I always thought it is 5 yft and 5 albies. I don't remember my biology that well but YFT and BFT are of different species hence the ability to keep 5 of each in mexico, no more than ten total.

That said the sport boat was busted for over limits and papaer work, not the species it was carrying.
As already pointed out, having one bluefin is over the limit. People probably had 6 or more "yellowfin" which is over the limit. You can have 10 fish, but only 5 of one kind such as 5 yellowfin and 5 bluefin. Having 10 yellowfin is over the limit.

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
As already pointed out, having one bluefin is over the limit. People probably had 6 or more "yellowfin" which is over the limit. You can have 10 fish, but only 5 of one kind such as 5 yellowfin and 5 bluefin. Having 10 yellowfin is over the limit.
ok, there are no details and no mention of bluefin. we can speculate, but may never know. tomorrow I am hunting for 5 yft and 5 albies.

Upvote 0