FishCommander

Almost A Member
Sep 28, 2008
san diego/california/us
Name
Conor
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 23'
Fished Seeker on private charter. 1.5 day. Only caught about 30 fish on the whole trip. (excluding rockfish which all the people who hadn't caught a fish started fishing for). I caught 2 yellowfin and a yellowtail.

The night before we got to the dock they pulled all the fish and laid them on the deck. I saw all 3 of my fish with the correct number tags. They were even weighing my tuna for the Jackpot and deckhand pointed mine out saying he thought it was the biggest and I told him it was mine.

Anyways I wake up the next morning and they call my number to hand out the fish and they handed me a tiny bag of 1 rockfish. I didn't even attempt to catch a rockfish as this was a tuna trip. So not only did the boat misplace and lose all 3 of my fish but they gave me someone else's rockfish. Obviously I was extremely upset but did not want to make a scene in front of everyone I just got to know over the weekend.

I just want to know what would you guys do in this situation? I have attempted to get in touch with the boat but I do not feel like I got my moneys worth at all. When you only catch 30 fish and lose 10% of them I think thats pretty pathetic. Another guy was complaining as well that he did not get even half of his fish.

The main reason I was so upset is that I had about 30 family friends in town staying on mission bay and I was planning on bringing all the fish to barbecue that night...

Upvote 0

fishfish

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
Email the Owner/Captain and the landing Mgmnt. Our fish spoiled last year on a trip and we all got vouchers for a free trip. But that was 32 people being affected I know, but something corrective yet costly was done about it. They mess up sometimes and you shouldn't be the one to pay for their screwups. They are supposed to be a professional outfit right?

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Fished Seeker on private charter. 1.5 day. Only caught about 30 fish on the whole trip. (excluding rockfish which all the people who hadn't caught a fish started fishing for). I caught 2 yellowfin and a yellowtail.

The night before we got to the dock they pulled all the fish and laid them on the deck. I saw all 3 of my fish with the correct number tags. They were even weighing my tuna for the Jackpot and deckhand pointed mine out saying he thought it was the biggest and I told him it was mine.

Anyways I wake up the next morning and they call my number to hand out the fish and they handed me a tiny bag of 1 rockfish. I didn't even attempt to catch a rockfish as this was a tuna trip. So not only did the boat misplace and lose all 3 of my fish but they gave me someone else's rockfish. Obviously I was extremely upset but did not want to make a scene in front of everyone I just got to know over the weekend.

I just want to know what would you guys do in this situation? I have attempted to get in touch with the boat but I do not feel like I got my moneys worth at all. When you only catch 30 fish and lose 10% of them I think thats pretty pathetic. Another guy was complaining as well that he did not get even half of his fish.

The main reason I was so upset is that I had about 30 family friends in town staying on mission bay and I was planning on bringing all the fish to barbecue that night...
you need to deal with that kind of stuff right there and then 'talk to the deck hand's and go back to talk to the Capitan' that normally take care of you.

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

FishCommander

Almost A Member
Sep 28, 2008
san diego/california/us
Name
Conor
Boat
you need to deal with that kind of stuff right there and then 'talk to the deck hand's and go back to talk to the Capitan' that normally take care of you.

Yeah I agree with you. I was really upset and just wanted to get home and go to bed. Also I didn't want to act upset about the trip in front of my buds family who put the whole trip together (many of these people didn't even catch a fish). Definitely a mistake on my part though.

Upvote 0

jakejake527

Mar 5, 2012
~ ~ ~ Oceanside ~ ~ ~
Name
Jake
Boat
Yeah I agree with you. I was really upset and just wanted to get home and go to bed. Also I didn't want to act upset about the trip in front of my buds family who put the whole trip together (many of these people didn't even catch a fish). Definitely a mistake on my part though.
if you contact them....they'll be asking why you didn't bring up the issue while on the boat

your fault

Upvote 0

FishCommander

Almost A Member
Sep 28, 2008
san diego/california/us
Name
Conor
Boat
if you contact them....they'll be asking why you didn't bring up the issue while on the boat

your fault

I did bring up the issue. Everyone was very well aware of what happened and they definitely remember who I am. They told me I didn't have to pay my galley tab and that was it. They tried to offer me half of a mahi that was caught several days earlier. That was pointless to me as I could have fed 5x the amount of people with the fish that I caught.

Upvote 0

Delta Mike

You like soup?
Feb 18, 2013
Cleveland/Steubenville/Yuma
www.semperfidelis.com
Name
Darren
Boat
"I wish"

your fault
Not true with all boats. I recall last year, I got my 1st Bluefin(35lb) ever on the American Angler 1.5 day plus a bunch of YT. Got everything cut on the boat and collected my bags at the top of the dock. Got home 3 hours later and sorted through the blue bags from hell. All YT. Called Lori and told her my situation and she said she'd handle it. Next trip out, Bill the regular caught a 40lb'er for me and shipped it next day, vacuum-packed to my house.

Upvote 0

jakejake527

Mar 5, 2012
~ ~ ~ Oceanside ~ ~ ~
Name
Jake
Boat
Not true with all boats. I recall last year, I got my 1st Bluefin(35lb) ever on the American Angler 1.5 day plus a bunch of YT. Got everything cut on the boat and collected my bags at the top of the dock. Got home 3 hours later and sorted through the blue bags from hell. All YT. Called Lori and told her my situation and she said she'd handle it. Next trip out, Bill the regular caught a 40lb'er for me and shipped it next day, vacuum-packed to my house.
that's nice....I would have asked for a free trip....

I want to eat what I catch

Upvote 0

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
I would have taken care of it right then and there. Let the person who was handing out the fish know you wanted to speak to the captain. Did you pay to have your fish filet? Right there they should know how many and what you had
. Sounds like one of your new friends made off with your catch or somehow the numbers got mixed up. If you would have said something maybe the person with 40 extra pounds of fish might have pointed out that they have more then they cought.
Isnt Tommie Lee running that boat? He is a good captain and I am sure he would have done whatever he could to resolve the situation.

Upvote 0

FishCommander

Almost A Member
Sep 28, 2008
san diego/california/us
Name
Conor
Boat
I would have taken care of it right then and there. Let the person who was handing out the fish know you wanted to speak to the captain. Did you pay to have your fish filet? Right there they should know how many and what you had
. Sounds like one of your new friends made off with your catch or somehow the numbers got mixed up. If you would have said something maybe the person with 40 extra pounds of fish might have pointed out that they have more then they cought.
Isnt Tommie Lee running that boat? He is a good captain and I am sure he would have done whatever he could to resolve the situation.

I don't remember the name of the captain but Im pretty sure that wasn't him. I did not pay for my fish filet. By the time I went to get my car and and get ready to leave half the people already left with their fish. There was really no chance of finding it amongst everyone else's fish. Someone definitely ended up with mine though. They can't really offer me a free trip as it is a charter only boat... If nothing else let this post be a warning to those fishing party boats. Try and stay awake during the filet process and make sure your fish is being properly tagged and bagged. After seeing the fish on the deck with my tags I thought there was no way they could mess that up.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot

That is customer SERVICE right there. Kudos to the AA!

Upvote 0

FishCommander

Almost A Member
Sep 28, 2008
san diego/california/us
Name
Conor
Boat
I don't remember the name of the captain but Im pretty sure that wasn't him. I did not pay for my fish filet. By the time I went to get my car and and get ready to leave half the people already left with their fish. There was really no chance of finding it amongst everyone else's fish. Someone definitely ended up with mine though. They can't really offer me a free trip as it is a charter only boat... If nothing else let this post be a warning to those fishing party boats. Try and stay awake during the filet process and make sure your fish is being properly tagged and bagged. After seeing the fish on the deck with my tags I thought there was no way they could mess that up.

They finally returned my call. Being refunded for the trip!!! Thank you seeker!! that is some great customer service

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Your statute of limitation ended when you drove away from the landing....well leave it at that.

Upvote 0