Spooling up for Bluefin

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Steve K, May 12, 2019.

1. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    Help please. I'm gearing up for my first BFT trip in July. What is the theory behind solid braid out fishing hollow?

2. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Some feel that hollow is prone to floating more. Some feel that hollow is larger diameter and drags on the bait more. So they feel there is a benefit of smaller diameter and more natural sink rate using solid. It is also cheaper.

dh515, vegasandre and CV-Wayne like this.
  3. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    Got it. Thank you

4. Sacto John

Sacto John Newbie

Name:
    John Humphreys
    Boat:
    Duct Tape Queen
    This is what I do, and it has worked well for me in the last few years chasing blue fin. Fill my reels almost full with spectra, and then top off with entire 25 yard spool of fluorocarbon connected with a FG knot.

I know that this seems like a waste of a lot of expensive fluoro to most, but in the grad scheme of things, line is fairly cheep compared to what we spend on rods, reels, and other gear. I like having the long fluoro leader as it provides a little more shock absorption than a short 8-10 foot piece, as well as the obvious benefit of putting your bait further away from your visible spectra. It also eliminates one extra connection knot that may fail or add weakness to the line.

On longer trips where the possibility of loosing all my fluorocarbon on a break off or tangle increase with time in the water, or if I was not chasing blue fin, I would probably go back to a shorter fluoro leader to straight spectra. As it is on a 1.5-3 day blue fin trip I just bring extra 25 yard spools of the fluorocarbon I think I will be fishing the most, in case of break offs, as well as some extra spectra and mono with me just in case.

5. The Dr.

The Dr. Member

Name:
    Kenji
    Boat:
    Ranger 521VX
    Just a lil fresh intel...I fished the PQ a few days ago and here's my experience:

The fish were pretty line shy, they only bit the 40lb flouro. After three stops on deep schools with no reaction, I tied on a 4oz sinker to my 40lb kit and was bit immediately. By a JUMBO!

My setup was Metaloid 12ii, 450yd 65 solid, 25yd 40lb Suline FC leader, 2/0 Charlie Brown circle hook.

The fish dumped 300yd in the first run, almost spooling me. I gained it all back over 1.5 hrs. With 50 feet to go the fish finally laid down and circled. At some point, either while under the boat or the deckhands using the Y, my leader chaffed a few spots 10-20ft above the hook, I could see the knicks, but couldn't get them onto my sppol. With the fish 20ft from gaff, the leader broke. major heartbreaker!!! Deckhands estimate the fish at 170-180lbs.

Other anglers hooked six fish on that stop, all were lost to bad knots and light line, within five minutes.

Takeaways:

I would never of gotten that close without the full 450yds of solid braid.

With the correct drag and amount of pressure, I never pulled the hook. I didn't once wish I had a piece of mono..

My connections, the line quality and gear all held up. It was the chaffing on the hull of the boat that did me in..

That and it was a 180lb fish vs 40lb gear. LOL!!

vegasandre, picasso, terryc. and 6 others like this.
  6. BT3Steve

BT3Steve Wishin I was Fishin!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    I wish
    FWIW I stopped by the Izorline knot tying booth at Fred Hall and inquired about which knot was best for tying flouro to spectra. The Asian "gentlemen" proceeded to give me an ass chewing that I will not soon forget! "Why would you want to use that shit?" "Because that's what everyone is doing?" "They don't know how to fish!" "But I thought it was less visible to the fish?" He then went on to rattle off a bunch of science as to how flouro was actually "more" visible to the fish and was nothing more than a marketing ploy for people that don't know how to fish (I'm pretty sure he was referring to me.) "Are you just saying that because you're repping Izor mono?" Big mistake. "We sell flouro too!" "I get that shit for free and haven't used it in years!" I don't remember exactly what happened next as I retreated to my safe place until the beating stopped. The toffee covered nuts in the next booth over seemed so close, yet so far. When he finally had enough he had me tie the simple RP/John Collins knot mono to spectra. 25 feet of mono. I tend to flinch now when I hear the word flouro and am probably even more confused than before the show, but at least my daughter got to color a nice fishy while she waited for me.

spize909, BGFisherman, Ja7935 and 3 others like this.
  7. vinniethefish

vinniethefish ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Name:
    Vince Borrego
    Boat:
    2006 Skeeter
    How many lbs of drag were you running?

8. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    Damn I don't know how we ever caught any fish before flouro .Thank god they developed this new way to extract dollars from fishermen's pockets.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    BT3Steve and shellback like this.
  9. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    fluorocarbon works.
    if for no other reason, its typically more abrasion resistant (harder) than mono of the same tensile strength

Fishybuzz and dh515 like this.
  10. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I don't know if Flouro out fish's Mono 100 %
    of the time, but I want to have it just in case,
    because on one of my trips,
    when Flouo first came out , one of My friends
    borrow A piece from another guy
    on the Trip that had some,
    and he was out Fishing me 9 too 2 on Albie's,
    that made me A believer, that it works,
    my 2 Cents.

CV-Wayne likes this.
  11. The Dr.

The Dr. Member

Name:
    Kenji
    Boat:
    Ranger 521VX
    I couldn't say for certain. I check by hand and have the deckhands double check it.

12. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    I love flat fall fishing with 30 people all with spectra filled reels :cheers:

B407EB5A-09C6-42A3-B86D-A9A403555C76.jpeg FC62C595-100F-4471-999E-B706A5D8CEA8.jpeg

SouthBayKiller and Juanba like this.
  13. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
  14. nu2reels

nu2reels I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None, I like others to drive
    chavid likes this.
  15. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Fluorocarbon works. Here's my story: About 15 years ago I took a trip to Africa to fish for Nile perch. I was fishing Lake Aswan, a dammed up portion of the Nile River. The Nile River is murky, but Lake Aswan is very clear because the mud settled after it was the dam was built. Nile Perch -- a fish closely related to snook and barramundi but much larger -- have huge eyes to help them see in the murky environment. That means, of course, that they can see **really** well in the clear waters of Lake Aswan. To the story: I was fishing on a mother ship trip with African Angler Outfitters. There were, I believe, a total of 12 fishermen on the trip. I was the only one using fluorocarbon leaders. I caught more fish than the entire rest of the party as well as the biggest fish. I'd like to think it was because of my innate angling skill but it just may have been my fluorocarbon leaders.

Mean Gene, Cubeye and jer dog like this.
  16. darrenforeal

darrenforeal Say no to bad info

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    36' Uniflite/Vagabond
    on my 30 to 50lb rigs I try to always have two setups for each. One with anywhere from 15ft to 50ft for fluoro to SOLID 50 and 65lb white izor or JB braid. And then the other has around 100 ft of mono to a 3 foot flouro leader.

the hollow vs solid is something that is really overlooked.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  17. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Prepared by experienced angler passenger load. Wtg San Diego. 3/4 day range. I want to move back. Love the so cal style so rad. So different here but I try and bring some so cal to the scene. I would be freaken if I was still a grom up there. In over froth

I'm sure all the experienced passengers rigged different but sano and smart

Mid May

https://www.sportfishingreport.com/fish_reports/147496/37-trophy-bft.php

Its like the waves of san diego turning into the quality waves of indonesia. As a analogy

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    fishin_kid likes this.
  18. etwizard

etwizard Member

Name:
    solomon
    Boat:
    Free 4 All
    Any preference for spectra color? Manufacturer? Weight? 60# with a 50# flour top shot?

19. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    I found an interesting YouTube video yesterday that's relevant to your question:

Chicago Pete, Cubeye and mackereljoe like this.
  20. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Solomon,

I will have to defer to others on this question. It has been debated ad nauseam over the past few years. Most folks stick with white since it is relatively easy to see and follow and blend in with the pack if you are in a big tangle. Some of the lines seem to loose a bit of strength in the coloring process. In general you should be fine with most any of the name brand spectra lines. JB, Tuff-Line, Seaguar, Berkley ProSpec, PowerPro. I would go with the heaviest line for the purpose if you are chasing BFT. (Too many big fish in the mix not to.)

One downside to solid braid is that it is a little more complicated to splice on additional line, but not a big deal. If I were spooling up I would go with white JB solid, Tuff-Line XP or similar name brand 60 lb.

All that said, I would contact the boat and get their recommendation. Then adjust from there.

Good luck!