Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
lols my 2 cents...

Guy-guy angler: were you prepared to fight a potential rhino sized Marlin stand up style for several hours? With the captain at the helm who was gonna watch your ass when you were headed overboard to your death? Maybe he took a look at you and saw something he knew you didn't have the sack for. I'd think about that before I flamed someone on the BD boards by calling him a weak captain.

I'm no captain, but if I had some kook tourist and only me on board I would do the same thing (to not endanger your life by attaching you to a fish that could take you straight to Davey Jones Locker before you could say "help me I'm a bitch"!) and just let the thing go. Not that you're a kook necessarily...but he may have done you a favor...just sayin' brah.:nutkick:

ps: don't get all butt hurt or anything and I'd be stoked to see an 80w spooled too but if the whole boat meaning a mate or two, an experienced wire-man, and a pro at the helm were not all on board and with the program I'd think twice about attaching myself to anything that could spool an 80w, say, 800 lbs of pissed off fish :).

pps: lols couldn't resist being a dick my bad.

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. I am not a commercial fisherman or charter captain - strictly a weekend fisherman with over 20 years of experience in Hawaii. Hawaii is one of those places that offers the opportunity to encounter the fish of a lifetime anytime you go out - within minute of getting underway. You (boat, captain, tackle, angler and mate) have to be prepared. Going out with any less of a mindset will result in an experience like this one. How fresh is the line on the reel? Is the reel maintained? Is the drag set correctly? Does everyone on the boat know what they are going to do when a fish gets hooked?

I agree with a previous post that everything must go right to get a big fish to/in the boat. Any item not checked in advance could spell disaster.

Although fisherman with lots more experience in battling the giants than me can probably give a reasonable estimate of the size of the fish early in fight, estimating the size of a big fish is tough when it gets away from the boat - other than a qualitative estimate of "damn that was a big one". I use the power and duration of the initial run to get a feel for the size of the fish - knowing what your drags are set to will help with that. Sometimes the big ones never jump, or can be a long way from the boat when they do.

One of the anchored posts in this section discusses what to look for when chartering a boat here in Hawaii. Advanced communication with the captain will give a good understanding of what your experience is and what your expectations are.

grapeavetape

Mar 14, 2007
los angeles
Name
tom
Boat
seaswirl 2901
Don't even worry about it, brah! At least you got to see the fish. Back in the early eightys I fished with my dad on the Kamali Kai Too out of Pokai Bay, Oahu and we had a strike on the 130 lb and got spooled! Never even saw the buggah. It makes for some good "what ifs" , but its something you never forget.

WhItEoUt 23

Nov 14, 2008
pompano bch fl usa
Name
WhItEoUt 23
Boat
Dusky 23
If a fish dumped an 80w, that is a complete and total embarassment for the boat operator. Even a grander plus won't dump an 80w if the operator has a clue. Waste of a fish, and sounds like a wasted skipper. Glad you got back on land ok.
I agree 100 percent there was no reason for that 80 w to get spooled i dont care how much the fish weighed dont matter now becuse that marlin is dead with all that line behind it.

barreled4ever

May 23, 2007
Dana Point
Name
Kyle
Boat
I wish!
LOVE all the responses!

I still have mixed feelings.....

It was an amazing thing to see though....To be honest....I probably couldnt have fought that fish standing up....as I could barely muscle the rod to my belt....let alone keep it in the holder!

barreled4ever

May 23, 2007
Dana Point
Name
Kyle
Boat
I wish!
Would a bad hook set...say getting it tail wrapped/snag...make it harder to stop the fish? Just curious because we noticed the lure was near its back/dorsal area when it jumped a few times...??? IDK...complete big-game newb here...

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Don't worry, with little tension on the line your fish likely threw that hook pretty quick and it probably survived.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Those things have some AMAZING power! crazy shit...
That video is what you need to think about every time before you pick up a rod with a serious fish attached.

LUCKY DAVE

Jan 19, 2007
Leucadia
Name
Ralph Kramden the Invincible
Boat
60' Hatteras sportfish
That video is what you need to think about every time before you pick up a rod with a serious fish attached.

Indeed.
If you're an experienced long range angler and think catching a 250 pound yellowfin has you prepared for a big Marlin.....that you've "been there, done that".... you're in for a nasty surprise.
It's a whole new ball game with a jumping 800+ blue on the other end of the line. A fish like that makes a big Ahi feel like a sand bass on a spinner.
These things are dangerous.

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
to the guy who started this thread:
- you admitted you are a newbie
- you criticized the captain to the point of being rude
- you have NO IDEA about marlin fishing from what you have written
- I do not know the cap't or the boat but I know an idiot (defined as someone who doesn't know what he doesn't know) when I see one (you)

you should apologize for attempting to judge a situation you witnessed (yes, that is all you did as it doesn't sound like you were taking any actions like clearing lines that would have enabled the cap't to back down) and then bagging on the captain on it

and, any of you others from CA that have said there is no excuse for getting spooled on an 80 have no idea either - I have not been spooled but have been damn close and I know some of the best in the game have been...it comes w/the territory when you are trolling in water w/ big blue marlin around

:1041677399:

canyongear

Big Game Tackle Supply
Jun 15, 2008
Jupiter, Florida USA
www.canyongear.com
Name
Tim
Boat
50' Custom
Was there a mate on board?

Doesn't sound like it, if not, lay of the deck would be..

just Capt'n..you.. and your new wife..

standup rod or trolling rod?

trolling rod..80W..no chair..

therefore..No angler..

if he hooked you up somehow to a trolling rod 80# class with a poor standup belt..you would either be in hospital with injuries or taking the big permanent swim.

Cappy made the right decision..the safe decision to let the fish run.

You should be thanking this guy for not being a hot dog..he thought of your safety first..and said..screw the fish..

be thankful..you were on this guys boat and not another charter that may have handled the situation diffrently.

Out..

LUCKY DAVE

Jan 19, 2007
Leucadia
Name
Ralph Kramden the Invincible
Boat
60' Hatteras sportfish
With the right 130, the right Captain, the right mate, the right angler and the right boat, a really large Marlin can spool you in under a minute. Everyone has to be on the top of their game to prevent it. Even then, often the fish wins.......
With the wrong (any of those things) it's guaranteed.
And yeah, I'm a Haole.

Fred Archer

Big Game's the Name
May 16, 2004
Laguna Niguel/Cabo
Name
Captain Fred Archer
Boat
36 Custom (Cabo)
Lots of conjecture and opinions here and that's all well and good, but I am of the opinion that one should have a good deal of experience dealing with BIG blue marlin before he opines negatively about the skipper and how he went about his work. It seems unfair to me to criticize a man when you haven't walked in his shoes.

Big blue marlin, fish that are possible in Hawaii year-round and not many other places, are right at the apex of the biggest, fastest, strongest, baddest, jumpingess (new word, I think) fish in the world. To opine that getting spooled on an 80W represents some kind of idiocy is a sure sign of someone who has not experienced what a big brute of a blue dishes out and instead, applies what they know of "big game fishing" to what it really is.

Just one example of the inequity and sillyness of the comparison - the recommended strike drag for 80# line is 27#...and a lot of people who fish 80# do not, in fact, set their drags that high. Part and parcel to that is that the drag increases substantially the more line that is off the reel.

The recommended strike drag setting on 130# is 43#, which is a helluva lot more than the 80# drag setting. Plus, the 130 reel holds far more line than the 80W. This can vary according to the type of line used, but we're talking at least 400 yards, which is roughly a third of a mile more line. So there is a huge difference in the capabilities of the two sets of tackle.

Of course, big blues can be caught on amazingly light gear, as evidenced by Stewart Cambell, the fellow in the video getting yanked overboard by a grander. He is a very good friend of mine and although he was using heavy stuff that day, he owns dozens of world records for big marlin on light tackle, the twenty or sixteen pound line fish being an eight hundred pounder! But he is a world class angler with a world class boat and crew and is an exception to the general rule.

Goodly numbers of Hawaiian anglers have the skill and ability to land big fish on both big rigs without using the chairs that were designed for fishing them from, and with lighter tackle, stand-up style. But here too, it is a rare "average Joe" who can do this. These guys, mostly small boaters, are exceptionally talented fishermen who are rarely found elsewhere.

And I don't know him, but I seriously doubt that the captain tried to intentionally lose the fish. In fact, I find that supposition laughable. After all, besides missing a nice, fat sale at the market, that would also wind up with him losing a big spool full of expensive line and very likely an expensive lure to boot. And let's not forget the publicity that a big marlin generates for a charterboat. That is important in the chartering business. Plus, I have never met a charter captain who was willing to endure that kind of expense just to make an amatuer angler comfortable. I'm sure he tried to catch that fish, within the constraints of the situation and just met up with an unexpected monster fish with an inexperienced crew aboard (one of the charter captain's frequent problems) and the fish had its way with him, fast and hard, blue marlin style, something that those in the know have already noted is an all too common event when it comes to those magnificent creatures.

Hawaiian fishermen go about their fishing the way that I do and I admire the heck out of them for it - unlike many other places, they gear up for the biggest fish that they are likely to encounter, not the average ones. They beat up the little guys in order to be ready for the big, dream fish when they come along.

And so, when it comes to chartering boats in Hawaii and other venues where truly big fish roam, I agree with some other posters here and advise people to research the boat and gear, rods, reels and chairs or lack of same in particular, and be prepared to spend the money that it rightfully takes to fish from one that is truly ready to rock.

As always, you get what you pay for, and as I have always written in my books on big game fishing, leave the squirrel gun at home when you go hunting in elephant county.

Maholo!

Attachments

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
While I have never fished for large marlin in Hawaii I did find myself hanging onto this 453lber while fishing out of a 22' panga while fishing the outer Gordo Bank out of San Jose Del Cabo. I should have known that trolling a pair of 8 pound yellowfin tuna that things could get interesting in a hurry.

No, I was not prepared for a fish of that size as I had only a pair of 2 speeds with 50lb line, a Shimano TLD 30 and a Penn 50 International, and would need both to land the fish. No fighting chair either in a panga so it was stand up in 100 plus degree heat while trying to maintain balance in the V bottomed bow area. We ended up shutting off and kicking up the motor and the fish pulled the panga backwards for over an hour and a half. I will never forget the wake coming off the bow as I was being pulled in the other direction.

45 minutes into the fight the dog spring goes out on the Shimano causing the handle to spin backwards as line is pulled from the reel. It was all I could do to lock my right arm down to keep the handle from spinning backward while at the same time making it impossible to get a forward crank and gain line. I don't speak spanish but Hugo, my panga Captain kept saying something like "Basura" which I am sure meant you have some fine equipment there...LOL.

He motions to the Penn International and begins stripping the 450 yards of 50 pound off by hand as the fish continues to pull us down swell. When he gets half the line off the spool he drops the engine, starts it, looks at me and says "Freespool" then accelerates out ahead of the fish while I am dumping line off the Shimano full speed. We get out ahead of the fish some two hundred yards when he turns back into the fish, stops the boat, grabs the 50 pound line with this fish on the other end, bites it off with his teeth, and hands it to me to hold. I about shit myself. I will never forget Hugo's hands shaking as he threads the line through the guides on rod number two, splices the line and looks at me and says "Wind". After frantically winding the line finally comes tight and the blue leaps clear of the water not twenty yards from the boat.

Before anyone busts my balls for taking this fish the truth is the fish came up dead and went on to feed many local families who showed up on the beach when I returned. To be honest, after a grueling 3 1/2 hours in that humid heat better the fish to expire than me. It really could have gone either way.

The last part of this tale is when we hit the beach at 25 MPH and slid the panga up on to the sandy beach (yeah, thats how they do it down there) someone looked into the mouth of the marlin and asked if I had been trolling a dorado for bait. There, sticking out of the fishes throat, was the tail of a 20 pound class dorado. When the dorado was removed from the fishes mouth it was in perfect condition leading us to surmise the marlin was actually feeding while I was up getting my ass kicked. Yes, the dorado was cleaned and the locals ate that too.

The moral of the story was even though I was not prepared the credit for the landing of this fish was due to the experience and quick thinking of the captain, Captain Hugo of the panga Caiman at Palmilla Point. It was a day I will not soon forget...

Attachments

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
A Whale of a Tale, awesome!! :D