Desert Fisherman
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix,Az
Name
Drew
Boat
None
Hey everyone,
I have an older TN14 Trinidad. I noticed that the spool assembly has some horizontal play in it. My other reels are much tighter. The spool does not move far enough for an opening to appear, but you can slide it side to side with your finger. Is this a problem?

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
That's normal, it just means the spool tension knob isn't adjusted properly and needs to be tightened. The cap of that knob contacts the spindle when tightened, tighten too much and you loose free spool, too loose and you have side to side play. The adjustment range over which this occurs is barely a few degrees, so tighten til just lightly finger tight, then back off slowly till you get your free spool back completely. You may go to far and need to repeat the process, tightening and loosening til you get the feel for it. A youtube video on how to adjust a baitcaster will show you all this.

That is unless there's some additional mechanism in the Trinidad I am unaware of, but it sounds almost assuredly that that's what you're experiencing.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Spin the spool while its spinning adjust the bearing knob until it stops the spool.
Now back it off just a hair and you should be good to go.

Reactions: Saponi73
Upvote 0

Saponi73

Desert Fisherman
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix,Az
Name
Drew
Boat
None
That's normal, it just means the spool tension knob isn't adjusted properly and needs to be tightened. The cap of that knob contacts the spindle when tightened, tighten too much and you loose free spool, too loose and you have side to side play. The adjustment range over which this occurs is barely a few degrees, so tighten til just lightly finger tight, then back off slowly till you get your free spool back completely. You may go to far and need to repeat the process, tightening and loosening til you get the feel for it. A youtube video on how to adjust a baitcaster will show you all this.

That is unless there's some additional mechanism in the Trinidad I am unaware of, but it sounds almost assuredly that that's what you're experiencing.
Awesome! Yes, the tension knob was turned all the way back. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0