aquaholic

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
If a split ring is rated at “x” strength and you are fishing a drag setting less than that, shouldn’t you be ok? I want to change out the hooks and rings on my snipers and the owner hyperwire size that resembles the stock one is rated at 80lbs. I’ll probably go up a size just to get a stronger ring but is it really necessary? I’m talking tuna fishing.

Robert

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Owner Hyperwire split rings are really excellent. I use them all of the time, they are my go-to for replacing the factory rings. You can rely upon them to hold their shape and do their job at the power ratings that they are given. I also use Owner solid rings, inserting them into the split rings so that I can connect the line to the solid ring. That also adds considerably to the strength of the connection. I have never lost a big fish (tuna, billfish, whatever) because of the split ring or solid ring failing. I get cut off, but that's fishing . . .

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Ok,,,,,, after much testing here are what is recommended, Go to the Owner Ultra split rings they are the strongest split rings available for the size. They are almost 2X as strong as the owner hyperawire for the same size. For detailed information see the link below ( Split ring testing) under
    "Similar Threads" Those Utras are super strong the absolute strongest available.

My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
    Walt

Last edited:

goldfinger81

Almost A Member
    Feb 18, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    None
    OP brings up an interesting point I never really considered. If I'm fishing 50lb line with 15lbs drag, what difference is a split ring rated at 70lb vs 120lb going to make?

Is it something where the split ring ratings are the lbs at which it will break, but in reality they will start to deform at much lower pressure?

Reactions: yessokk
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Walt is right, there are stronger split rings than the Owner Hyperwire. If subtle presentation is really critical, and you are targeting a really strong fish, then you can go down a size, maybe two sizes, and still fish with confidence. I use them, but rarely. To my mind, it's like hunting deer with a 7mm Magnum. You can, but . . .

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    and make sure you have a GOOD pair of split ring pliers for those bad boys
    Absolutely. "GOOD" doesn't mean most expensive. Get ones with a big ass tooth on it.
    My favorite is the blue handled ones from Texas Tool. About $15...

Skip ones with a tiny tooth at any price.
    The right pliers made what I previously considered a huge pita a piece of cake.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Shimano makes a HD split ring plier that will open #10 Ultrawire split rings with ease...

Upvote 0

aquaholic

Almost A Member
    Sep 19, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Anderson 22
    and make sure you have a GOOD pair of split ring pliers for those bad boys

I have a pair of hpa’s that can pretty much split anything :/). Yeah they are pricey but sure do make attaching those heavy duty rings a breeze. I have both hyperwire and ultra rings and have actually caught some pretty big tuna with stock hooks/rings and never lost one due to a split ring or hook failure. I did have a stock sniper treble bend on me but still boated the fish.

I’m getting ready to rig for a few upcoming trips (changing out all the stock hooks and rings) and was just wondering if I had to go with such a beefy split ring when the rating of the smaller ones was way higher than any drag setting I was ever going to use. I do braze some of my connections but split rings are so much faster and easier to do out on the water if needed.

Anyway, that’s why I proposed the question. Just wondering if overkill was really necessary.

Robert

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
    Aug 15, 2004
    Central Texas
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    I have a pair of hpa’s that can pretty much split anything :/). Yeah they are pricey but sure do make attaching those heavy duty rings a breeze. I have both hyperwire and ultra rings and have actually caught some pretty big tuna with stock hooks/rings and never lost one due to a split ring or hook failure. I did have a stock sniper treble bend on me but still boated the fish.

I’m getting ready to rig for a few upcoming trips (changing out all the stock hooks and rings) and was just wondering if I had to go with such a beefy split ring when the rating of the smaller ones was way higher than any drag setting I was ever going to use. I do braze some of my connections but split rings are so much faster and easier to do out on the water if needed.

Anyway, that’s why I proposed the question. Just wondering if overkill was really necessary.

Robert

I think the selection has more to do with how you rig your jigs.
    ie: I like to bridle my FF's to a solid ring, so in reality is the split ring is only holding the jig but not direct to tension. If I was rigging with the hooks on the end of the jig, then the SR becomes everything in your connection.
    IMOO

Upvote 0