Split Rings and their uses...

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    All of my flatfall is on a Quick Rig Pro Grade ball bearing swivel. I prefer it over the figure eight. The action is a bit better on it when using heavy leader.

What is the prefered length of these leaders? 36", 48"? Longer?
    I stick to about 36 inches most of the serious chaffing occurs around the mouth if the tuna swallows (LOL) or when they roll over.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    A factor to consider on leader length is private boat or sporty.
    You can go longer on a sporty so that even a very large fish body is rubbing on the "chew" leader. Think tail wrap.
    On a pb longer than 3' can get problematic at gaff.
    Ie swivel at rod tip, rod tip at water level with a worn out angler. Fish 5' under water still... good luck gaff man.

Spear or rod

• Aug 31, 2008
    San Francisco
    Name
    Tommy T
    Boat
    Anything that floats
    Just got some of the figure 8s from PB. This is a pic from their site. On the lighter 60# floro leaders for FF can you tie straight to the top of the 8 w/o crimp? Which knot would you use? Thx.

FC8C758A-0337-48E3-992C-A5534DE9C984.jpeg

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

• Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    Just got some of the figure 8s from PB. This is a pic from their site. On the lighter 60# floro leaders for FF can you tie straight to the top of the 8 w/o crimp? Which knot would you use? Thx.

View attachment 1283962
    Yes...my friends & deckhands tie 100# and under right to the figure 8. (Those of you who fish with me know I cant see the line) the edges are rounded so they don't cut into line

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Yes...my friends & deckhands tie 100# and under right to the figure 8. (Those of you who fish with me know I cant see) the line) the edges are rounded so they don't cut into line

I have to bring my cheaters, to see, to tie.

Upvote 0