Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    BD,
    Any recommendations on a good set of splicing needles. I would prefer a full set and not come up short when I need it.
    OR
    It doesn’t matter because they are pretty much the same.

Thanks

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    I might as well ask this now.

Is there any other equipment or supplies for splicing, loops, wind on‘s, serving or dressing etc. that you can highly recommend?

Thanks

Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
    Jul 7, 2016
    oro valley az
    Name
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    One may find that they only need a folded piece if thin solid leader wire for braid and to develop the knack of poking the plastic inside the braid for a "windon"

T
    Tsmithson
    There are locksmiths that use a pick set and then there are guys with experience and talent that can just smash the ends of a couple paper clips and open the same locks.

I‘m guessing your the latter.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    If you look into the nail knot / nub technique, loop needles, cheap 15lb solid braid for nail knots on lines less than 50lb, cheap 30lb solid braid for lines 50+ lb lines, one puller, and super/tac glue can allow you to avoid a serving rack and bobbin.

Can secure connections sitting at a galley table. Only one puller on the tag end is needed since the nail knot line spool functions as the second puller on the opposite side to the tag end; line is trimmed off the spool only after the nail knot is tightened.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor

Is there any other equipment or supplies for splicing, loops, wind on‘s, serving or dressing etc. that you can highly recommend?

Thanks
    You can start here:

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    One may find that they only need a folded piece if thin solid leader wire for braid and to develop the knack of poking the plastic inside the braid for a "windon"

Yep all one needs is a a doubled over 5' length of 28# solid stainless wire.....perfect for splicing and making loops JMO

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none

Thanks
    Charkbait has there Toro Tamer splicing needle as well. Search You Tube for different techniques. Master one you like.

Reactions: Tsmithson

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
    Jul 10, 2003
    Orange County, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat

Reactions: Tsmithson
    Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Toro Tamer here. Got the FULL set during Fred Hall LB time at Charkbait's store sale. If you don't need the needles before March 2-4, 2022, wait 'til then.

T
    Tsmithson
    I need to start practicing now.
    I am definitely going to the show this year if they have it. Never been.

Leave the credit cards at home?
    Upvote 0
    A
    Amadeus
    FYI, Charkbait doesn't do Fred Hall; Mark, the owner, said himself the $20K booth fee (in 2018) wasn't worth it. In the past, Charkbait has instead offered a "FH" discount online with the same and other specials if you go to their physical store in Huntington Beach.

Peruse their site for the sale notice as FH gets nearer.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Had a set of needles, sold them. Preparing the end of the leader material is key. Sand down to a bullet shape, really what you want inside the spectra when you’re all finished whether you insert with a needle or not. Opening up the spectra is key and once that is done, you can insert the leader without a needle. The only needles I use are a couple of loop needles from Charkbait, for inline splices. But you can do those with a folded piece of solid wire.

Or, as Fishy and Bill have said so many times, just learn the FG Knot. I’m an old guy, don’t learn new tricks very well. But I think this winter, will find me working on the FG Knot and the 3 turn Uni.

Should get a couple of likes there. ;)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    I have Toro Tamer and Daho needle sets. I use the Daho… The tip on the Daho is shaped bullet where the Toro Tamer is shaped a bit more conical.
    I tried the toros in a couple sizes a few years back because they were a little cheaper, and noticed the same thing. The more conical point was much more likely to pop back out of the weave when I didn’t want it to. I returned the toros and have the complete daho set…

Guys use the doubled over single strand to make loops and such, but the latch needle works really well and is much easier to store - I toss all the needles into a single, capped 1/2” tube…

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    Is there a real need for a serving tool?

Will a bobbin from my fly tying equipment work just as good?

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster

The Nail Nub knot serve is what I used last time I inserted. I moved on to the FG. But to complicate things from your point of view, the expert servers use a weighted leader material to get the serve tight. So I would say your fly tying bobbin will not be enough tension.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor

Maybe.
    It needs to have enough mass (weight) and the ability to put tension on the line that you are using to make the serve.

Amazon product
    Less expensive ones are also made.

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL

Thanks
    yes, a cheap bobbin from amazon for like $20 and you don't need the clamps shown in the video. I caught fish up to 295# with this knots, it's 2-100% knot and have not failed me yet.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    A couple of observations -

1. You cant efficently build windons without needles. Yes it can be done but, it increases the time to build them greatly.

2. Wire is great for making end loops and inline splices but useless for threading mono and fluorocarbon.

3. The correct bobbin has to be used to make a pressure serve in a double wall constructed windon or topshot. The Shimano bobbin is the best made. It was designed for making the PR knot not for windons.

4. The video is nicely done. There are several issues for me with the way the windons are being constructed.

Those wood working clamps suck for making serves.

Its a PR bobbin not a pressure serve bobbin.

1/2 hitches and Rizzuotos making a pressure serve windon? - just tye an FG. No tools needed.

If you really pull hard. Actually fish high drag pressures. All of these little things matter. I have seen too many nice fish lost on incorrectly made windons.

Want to build your own windons that wont fail?

Dont do a double wall - do an inline insertion. Go in 4-5' and serve it however you want. 1/2 hitches, pressure serve, PR bobbin.
    No loops - do an inline splice to make the connection.

5. I can make a professional windon. I learned from the master.

I dont - I use BHP windons. Much easier to pick up the phone BS with Basil about basketball, MotoGP, F1, food. Then order some windons (I can go to the shelf and get them but then I wouldnt talk to BHP).

Carry on - and remember its fishing! We are not splitting atoms.

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    For looping, Basil say's a 24 inch piece of AFW .012/0.30 mm SS wire works well

Last edited:
    Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0