SPJ rod recommendation - Daiwa Harrier or Okuma Hawaiian

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
Looking to get into SPJ so I need a rod to pair with my Penn FTHII8XNSD reel. I fish mostly in the 80-150' range (Izors, Horseshoe, 150 areas). Would like to keep it under $300. Charkbait has a couple rods that seem legit: Daiwa Harrier HSP66MB, and Okuma Hawaiian HCSJ-C 63M Conventional. Please let me know your thoughts on these, or any other models.

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    I've seen them both and wasn't impressed with either.
    My suggestion would be to at least get a few SPJ rods in your hands before you plunk down your $$.

Upvote 0

Levelartist

Oct 6, 2017
    Long Beach
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    Susan
    I've seen them both and wasn't impressed with either.
    My suggestion would be to at least get a few SPJ rods in your hands before you plunk down your $$.
    What are some of the things you looks for when comparing SPJ rods(other than price)? Asking because I’m a noob lol. 😝

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    What are some of the things you looks for when comparing SPJ rods(other than price)? Asking because I’m a noob lol. 😝
    I mostly look at the recoil, flexibility/rigidity, and overall craftsmanship.

I'm up in NorCal and the ocean conditions are rough (wind/current/swell) so lighter jigs and the appropriate rods to work them are a tough go out here. I have to work jigs over 200g most of the time, even on good days, so I need a slightly stiffer rig to get the job done.

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    Check out Black Hole. Many videos on the Icy Bay, AK posts. I like their Cape Cod Special SPJ rod best and own a couple. Used the Charter Special which is lower cost and landed 140# halibut and many big lingcod.

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    Any specific rods you would recommend?
    Under $300 I think the Shimano Grappler and Accurate Valiant are what I consider good ones to look at, both slightly on the firm side, but that's what I prefer.
    I still think you should look at some first hand to get an idea of SPJ rods are like, it'll tell you a lot, more than I can type onto this thread.

Good luck

Reactions: fishgrappler
    Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Almost A Member
    Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Skipjack 25 Sports Cruiser
    I’d also say go with a grappler… love mine. and very affordable. I haven’t used the harrier yet but have no reason to assume it isn’t a great rod… I DO own a Hawaiian custom and much like the Phenix titan i find them too stiff to work a jig properly.

Upvote 0

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
    Feb 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Feelfree Lure 11.5
    Goo Fish rods are well regarded for their price point and you can buy on Amazon… I have their orange micro jigger 2 piece rod and I would buy another in their lineup if I was in the market.

Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    I have used a goo fish rod with okuma komodo. i have caught sandbass calico sheepshead and sculpin with spj. i like using a 160 gram savage jig for 70 -130 feet of water.

Were you using the goofish PE2-4 rod ? 160gram 130ft if water? I have one but no chance to use it yet so wondering what’s the optimum jig weight I should

Upvote 0