Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    After a couple of seasons focusing on SPJ here near the SF bay Area I've expanded my jig arsenal and have noticed myself gravitating towards certain shapes and even avoiding others, either for my own fishing style, enjoyment, or simply productivity.

We all know that using the jigs that produce is paramount, and using whatever shape will do that is the rule, but what say you?

tV8CS9i.jpg

If you go by the original templet laid down by SFC there's 5 general categories:
    -Backsliding (long slim like speed jigs) SFC Messiah, Coltsnipers, Laser minnows.
    -Spiraling - SFC Spunky, Daiwa SK
    -Irregular -SFC Cranky, SeaFalcon Z slow, Savage Gear Squish, Jigging master UFO
    -Wobbling - SFC Gawky, Nomad,
    -Falling Leaf - SFC Rector, Tady slow jig

Although I've caught using all shapes, I definitely go to my irregular shapes the most. They've produced the most and I enjoy the technique needed to get them to do their thing, seems to fit my fishing style. I don't use slim jigs much and spiraling has been hit or miss for me, I have to admit I don't enjoy Rector shapes much, and wobbles I don't have any strong feeling either way.

Maybe I'm being too analytical about it but any of you have strong preferences either way?

Upvote 0

Justin Joy

Sep 7, 2019
    Vista Ca
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    None
    Nice Write up I am just getting into SPJ and getting my arsenal of jigs set. I will follow along to see progress and give some input when I get out and test some jigs for myself.

I have a Bunch of tady's as you have above. and a couple Diawa jigs and a few other brands and waiting on my order to come in this week I ordered 10 more various jigs. ranging from 80-230grams

Reactions: Proteus
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Good topic.
    There are a lot of different shapes and those shapes combined with the way they are worked and current etc make things interesting. I think there is a place for all these different actions.

If you have fished the first series of Tady TSPs you should have noticed that they can produce some extreme darting actions. They are in my mind not at their best when fished vertically. Try casting them a good distance out and working them as they sink. They have a very pronounced horizontal darting action.

I recently picked up a couple of new 120gr Tady tsp tuna jigs. These are a similar shape but are more compact and weighted very differently from the original jigs. My gut feel about them is they will be a much better vertical jig than the other design. Tady has a long history of producing great lures for the SoCal fisheries. I would not be surprised at all if this is another.

Many of the jig manufacturers have produced some hybrid designs with very subtle differences. I particularly like the action that the Majorcraft Jigpara lures produce. It combines the irregular with a good side to side wobble that can be deadly.

The more I get into SPJ the more I feel that there is no one perfect set up to use for this type of fishing. Every day presents different conditions .......and learning to read the conditions and make the correct presentation is what it is really all about.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    I will try to get some photos posted here this week. I have some jigs I really like and while they may be knockoffs in some instances they get the job done.
    I am a life long jig aholic. :food-smil I always keep my eye open of jigs that I think might do well. One of the things that made SPJ so attractive to me is that I can fish the entire water column using this technique. In the past most lures where made to fish specific zones such as surface Iron. Using SPJ lures and tackle I already know that it works across the entire water column. I have seen it time and time again. As long as you maintain good control over these jigs they will produce. And yet just like surface iron as an example, they are not all created equally.

Jeff

Reactions: Cubeye and Proteus
    Upvote 0

Justin Joy

Sep 7, 2019
    Vista Ca
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    None
    So far my best producing Jig came from Walmart for 3 bucks 3 oz shaped like a tady or salas but kills fish. I love that little jig. I have caught Bonito, rock fish, ling cod and a yellow tail on this little jig color came off after the first fish but it is a Producer so I am okay with knock offs as long as they work, which so far I am a Believer in some more than others.

Reactions: robn and Proteus
    Upvote 0