SPJ in freshwater?

davidpratt

Jul 28, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
David Pratt
Boat
Not yet
Anyone ever try this? I don't fish freshwater that often and when I do it's usually using the fly fishing gear or topwater for largemouth. I feel like I read reports of people saying stripers at places like Lake Powell will hold really deep and it seems like SPJ could be a great way to fish for those deep fish.

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
it's been done. I've seen pics of some stud lake trout caught on them

Upvote 0

wadeatl

May 28, 2018
Roswell, GA
Name
WADE JENSTEAD
Boat
Grady 275
My fishing partner caught our first Striper of the day last weekend on Lake Lanier with a SPJ and using a Gravitate G1 rod.

For striped bass I think you need to have the summer pattern when they stack up in the deeper water for the technique to be successful. We will continue giving it a try this this summer.

Side note .... it seems that the micro jigs 80 grams and under have had some success on spotted and large mouth bass.

We are both new to SPJing this year and had some success in Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
The lake I fished not very deep so my test might not be the same with other lakes. I am mostly a Small Mouth Bass guy so fished once using SPJ on humps ….. a few follow but no taker.

Upvote 0

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
I just picked up a goo fish orange spj rod to use for vertical jigging here in Oklahoma. This morning I ended up fishing a kastmaster jig, so not a true spj style jig, but was just jigging along the bottom while drifting and did ok (2 striper hybrids, a largemouth and a smallmouth) from one spot in 20-30’ of water. I think I need to get thinner braid to keep the jig more vertical, but definitely had some good action where I was was marking fish.
022DC02A-B4EC-4638-BC65-A4207056DEB1.jpeg

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The basics of slow pitch jigging goes back to the very start of using artificial lures. Look up the first fishing lure patented in America. A man was fishing from a dock and dropped his lunch spoon and as it fluttered down in the clear water he saw a big fish come out from the shadows and eat it.

Of course you can't defend a fishing lure patent from imitators, any more than Eli Whitney could keep people from making copies of his cotton gin. But a fluttering piece of metal which imitates an injured or dying small fish is an ancient and honorable way of catching fish.

Upvote 0