bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I've recently started SPJ for rock fish in Channel Islands and love it. My current set up is a Ocean Jigger 2000NRHG with 30# spectra and Temple Reef Gravitate 2.

Now I'd like to try SPJ for yellows and schoolie tuna out of SD. I'm not sure my Gravitate 2 is the best option. What other rods would you suggest? Are there better reel options?

Which SPJs and colors would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jason

Exodus

• Jun 20, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Damon's 26' Shamrock..."Solito"
    I asked a similar question and finally ended up with a Temple Reef Innovate 80MH. I absolutely intend to use it for Yellowtail and Tuna, given the right opportunity. Charkbait has them for $350 with free shipping. I will be using 30lb braid to 50lb flouro.

Jason

SergeyS

Oct 8, 2020
    Huntington Beach
    charkbait.com
    Name
    Sergey Smith
    Boat
    Imaginary
    For sport boats the Temple Reef Innovate series is very well regarded, the extra length and backbone of the butt section gives you a lot more control over a fish, especially when talking about offshore species. It will let you maneuver around a larger boat with more people on it more so than any of their other rods. The extra length opens up the long fall presentation which makes it easier to stay vertical in current, or when on a drift. A conventional guide layout also makes it a bit safer for keeping the line off the hull of the boat. An 80MH would be a good choice.

As far as reels go, tall and narrow star drags are traditional and effective but lever drag reels offer a lot of versatility with drag control. An Accurate Valiant 500N SPJ would be a nice choice. Penn Torque/Fathom 15XN's are also a nice alternative although they are heavier. The most important thing is to have a smooth drag, having a large and consistent drag curve is also very helpful. As you lose line the diameter of your spool artificially decreases which will raise the effective drag you're fishing. This is why it is nice to have a lever drag that you can adjust and return to preset rating when you get the line back. Everol used to make it very simple.

Colors of jigs generally tend to matter less than the presentation, but you can't go wrong with having some flash, glow or simply matching bait colors.

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    I asked a similar question and finally ended up with a Temple Reef Innovate 80MH. I absolutely intend to use it for Yellowtail and Tuna, given the right opportunity. Charkbait has them for $350 with free shipping. I will be using 30lb braid to 50lb flouro.

Jason
    I really like my Temple Reef Gravitate, it's a great rod. I'm leaning towards another TR but want to explore all my options. Which reel are you pairing it with?

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    For sport boats the Temple Reef Innovate series is very well regarded, the extra length and backbone of the butt section gives you a lot more control over a fish, especially when talking about offshore species. It will let you maneuver around a larger boat with more people on it more so than any of their other rods. The extra length opens up the long fall presentation which makes it easier to stay vertical in current, or when on a drift. A conventional guide layout also makes it a bit safer for keeping the line off the hull of the boat. An 80MH would be a good choice.

As far as reels go, tall and narrow star drags are traditional and effective but lever drag reels offer a lot of versatility with drag control. An Accurate Valiant 500N SPJ would be a nice choice. Penn Torque/Fathom 15XN's are also a nice alternative although they are heavier. The most important thing is to have a smooth drag, having a large and consistent drag curve is also very helpful. As you lose line the diameter of your spool artificially decreases which will raise the effective drag you're fishing. This is why it is nice to have a lever drag that you can adjust and return to preset rating when you get the line back. Everol used to make it very simple.

Colors of jigs generally tend to matter less than the presentation, but you can't go wrong with having some flash, glow or simply matching bait colors.
    Thank you for sharing such detailed information. I get what you are saying about using the lever drag to adjust the drag pressure, I've used that technique on other species while live bait fishing. Other than my Ocean Jigger being a star drag, which I can adjust as well during the fight, do you think I really should look at getting another SPJ reel?

SergeyS

Oct 8, 2020
    Huntington Beach
    charkbait.com
    Name
    Sergey Smith
    Boat
    Imaginary
    A new rod would give you the most benefit for your money. You've already got a top of the line SPJ reel which you can use since you probably wouldn't need to bring the Gravitate on that kind of trip. And if you want you can always look at purchasing a different reel down the road.

Reactions: bob1825

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    A new rod would give you the most benefit for your money. You've already got a top of the line SPJ reel which you can use since you probably wouldn't need to bring the Gravitate on that kind of trip. And if you want you can always look at purchasing a different reel down the road.
    That's what I was thinking. Invest in another quality rod since I have a good reel as it is.

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Penn Fathom 40n 2 speed w 80# bread (565 yrds ) ($240 Walmart or amazon ) paired with Okuma pch 801xh or 741 XXh - Rods are $170 to $240 if you shop around you could handle some big shit with that . The Okuma PCH are sick carbon fiber set up with the ALPS reel seat best bang for the buck with that set up you could fish it with a 30 , 40 , 50 or 60 pound leader and could catch tuna to to 150 to 180lbs. it cover alot of ground ...

Reactions: bob1825

streetnfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 7, 2009
    south pasadena
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    Float tube
    I think your Gravitate/Ocea combo is just fine for yellows and schoolie tuna "IF" SPJ is the technique that you want to use. The Innovate will be longer and a bit stiffer in the butt section but it still won't be a fast action rod. If you WANT to by a new rod than by all means the Innovate will give you a different feel and will be easier to use for long fall if you get the 80MH. But it's not going to be that much of a difference.
    Same for reels. The Ocea is more than fine for what you are asking. If you WANT to buy another reel then the Accurate is a good reel but not really better than the Ocea. I have both and they are interchangeable. You can go down a rabbit hole about which has more plastic or better gears blah blah but given a single day with a well maintained reel, they are both an par with each other. As far as lever drag vs star again its gonna be personal preference. You asked about yellowtail and schoolie tuna so for that application both should be fine. If you set your drag correctly, you should only be making very slight adjustments during the fight if any anyway
    I have 3/4 of the setups you are asking about (Black Hole vs Gravitate) and have caught the fish you are talking about so thats my 2 cents. I'm sure you'll get a lot more advice about how to spend your money so have fun.

Tight lines !

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    I think your Gravitate/Ocea combo is just fine for yellows and schoolie tuna "IF" SPJ is the technique that you want to use. The Innovate will be longer and a bit stiffer in the butt section but it still won't be a fast action rod. If you WANT to by a new rod than by all means the Innovate will give you a different feel and will be easier to use for long fall if you get the 80MH. But it's not going to be that much of a difference.
    Same for reels. The Ocea is more than fine for what you are asking. If you WANT to buy another reel then the Accurate is a good reel but not really better than the Ocea. I have both and they are interchangeable. You can go down a rabbit hole about which has more plastic or better gears blah blah but given a single day with a well maintained reel, they are both an par with each other. As far as lever drag vs star again its gonna be personal preference. You asked about yellowtail and schoolie tuna so for that application both should be fine. If you set your drag correctly, you should only be making very slight adjustments during the fight if any anyway
    I have 3/4 of the setups you are asking about (Black Hole vs Gravitate) and have caught the fish you are talking about so thats my 2 cents. I'm sure you'll get a lot more advice about how to spend your money so have fun.

Tight lines !
    Thank you for your insight. I was planning to keep using the same reel, I really like my Ocean Jigger. Interesting take on the Gravitate...I was looking for a little more backbone in a rod but I know that's an oxymoron when it comes to SPJ rods/technique. The Gravitate works great for rock fishing but I'd personally like something a little heavier for yellowtail and tuna.

What are some other brands of SPJ rod manufacturers I should look at? Also, should I be looking at MH, H, or M rated rods? Thanks again.

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    So far the Temple Reef INNOVATE 801MH is the only rod for now being produced that adapted well for crowded sportsboat fishing socal style. Thanks to Capt. Benny’s 8-years experience on Slow Pitch Jigging on US waters. Importance of length & power factors are explained well by Sergy . Of course plus how the rod action impart on the jigs.

Unless you are fishing on private boat most of the time then most of those shorter SPJ rods work well. Or once SPJ specific trips on open party boats becomes popular then it work as well. Most of this SPJ rod now being use heavily in Florida and recently creeping into Socal scene are shorter and are use mainly on private boats.
    I think this SoCal specific SPJ rod is still evolving. Just my opinion and could be wrong.

So get the TR INNOVATE 801MH for your OJ reel. Then later on just buy another reel for your Gravitate. For sure you will see the difference and the merits on the length and power of the rod on sportsboat.

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    So far the Temple Reef INNOVATE 801MH is the only rod for now being produced that adapted well for crowded sportsboat fishing socal style. Thanks to Capt. Benny’s 8-years experience on Slow Pitch Jigging on US waters. Importance of length & power factors are explained well by Sergy . Of course plus how the rod action impart on the jigs.

Unless you are fishing on private boat most of the time then most of those shorter SPJ rods work well. Or once SPJ specific trips on open party boats becomes popular then it work as well. Most of this SPJ rod now being use heavily in Florida and recently creeping into Socal scene are shorter and are use mainly on private boats.
    I think this SoCal specific SPJ rod is still evolving. Just my opinion and could be wrong.

So get the TR INNOVATE 801MH for your OJ reel. Then later on just buy another reel for your Gravitate. For sure you will see the difference and the merits on the length and power of the rod on sportsboat.
    It looks like the Innovate may be the way to go. I agree with you that the SoCal spj scene is still evolving and will continue to grow as manufacturers begin to see the market developing here.

Might be time to post an "I want to buy" ad.

Reactions: FlatPack

streetnfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 7, 2009
    south pasadena
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    Float tube
    Thank you for your insight. I was planning to keep using the same reel, I really like my Ocean Jigger. Interesting take on the Gravitate...I was looking for a little more backbone in a rod but I know that's an oxymoron when it comes to SPJ rods/technique. The Gravitate works great for rock fishing but I'd personally like something a little heavier for yellowtail and tuna.

What are some other brands of SPJ rod manufacturers I should look at? Also, should I be looking at MH, H, or M rated rods? Thanks again.
    I hear ya. It takes awhile to get confidence using slow pitch gear. Your mind keeps telling you that you need more back bone, longer rod etc. If that is what you are looking for then the Innovate will give you that. However, you still won't be horsing any yellows around with it. As for the length, I've found it negligible.(except for long fall). I fished sportboats for years with short jigging rods with no problem. However, I follow my fish and look out for other anglers lines BEFORE I'm in a tangle and take appropriate action (over/under).
    I guess what I'm getting at is that the different setups will have slight advantages. The Innovate is a TWEAK that has been done by the designer which has some slight advantages as well as slight disadvantages in certain areas. It doesn't mean that it is light-years ahead of other gear in the applications you are asking about. Sounds like you WANT to get the Innovate and I'm sure you will love it as I love mine but it's not as far a stretch as some make it seem.

Reactions: yessokk and bob1825

Exodus

• Jun 20, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Damon's 26' Shamrock..."Solito"
    I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but plan to use my 1st Gen Diawa Saltiga 20, with the Temple Reef Innovate 80MH. The reel has plenty of drag for what I plan to use it for. This is my one and only (for now) SPJ set-up. There isn't a giant selection of this gear, locally, and this rod was easy enough to get. 20% off on the Charkbait FH promotion sealed the deal for me.

IMG_5554.jpg

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but plan to use my 1st Gen Diawa Saltiga 20, with the Temple Reef Innovate 80MH. The reel has plenty of drag for what I plan to use it for. This is my one and only (for now) SPJ set-up. There isn't a giant selection of this gear, locally, and this rod was easy enough to get. 20% off on the Charkbait FH promotion sealed the deal for me.

View attachment 1265397
    That's a great deal! Too bad it's not still going on?

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    I hear ya. It takes awhile to get confidence using slow pitch gear. Your mind keeps telling you that you need more back bone, longer rod etc. If that is what you are looking for then the Innovate will give you that. However, you still won't be horsing any yellows around with it. As for the length, I've found it negligible.(except for long fall). I fished sportboats for years with short jigging rods with no problem. However, I follow my fish and look out for other anglers lines BEFORE I'm in a tangle and take appropriate action (over/under).
    I guess what I'm getting at is that the different setups will have slight advantages. The Innovate is a TWEAK that has been done by the designer which has some slight advantages as well as slight disadvantages in certain areas. It doesn't mean that it is light-years ahead of other gear in the applications you are asking about. Sounds like you WANT to get the Innovate and I'm sure you will love it as I love mine but it's not as far a stretch as some make it seem.
    Want versus need is what drives the fishing manufacturing industry and why I have so much gear that I never use. Hahaha. No, SPJ does not fall into that category...yet. mostly. :)

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    Jason - your current setup will work well for YT and schoolie tuna. Working the jig is all about the rod, and fighting the fish is all about the reel. The Ocea 2000 drags are smooth and strong - you should be fine...

Having said that, if your planned platform is sportboats, then you'll have to be mindful of getting tangled with others and/or rubbing the hull with a good fish in the death circle - especially with the thinner braids used to maintain vertical contact with the SP jigs. Shorter/softer rods make this more challenging - but can be somewhat overcome with good technique (and an empathetic group!).

The best combo I've found is the Innovate/Ocea 2000. I happen to like the instant 'engage' feature if I sense that I've been bit on the drop while freespooling. And the Ocea's drag curve is not so abrupt that a slight dial up of the star results in a dramatic difference - so it's fairly easy to control. Nothing against Accurate - I have a 500N for speed jigging and love it...

Whatever you're using, you want to be careful how you pick your scenarios for when to break out the SPJ setup. Sliding in on a foamer is probably not the best time. A pick bite, where everyone is relaxed and spread out, and you can move to the 'wrong side of the boat' by yourself is best. Use steady pressure and try to control where the fish goes - kinda like walking a dog. Keeping him up towards the bow and away from others will improve your chances of landing him dramatically.

BTW, if you haven't already, you should check out some of the posts in the Jigging/Popping board... (if you can find it!)

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Jason - your current setup will work well for YT and schoolie tuna. Working the jig is all about the rod, and fighting the fish is all about the reel. The Ocea 2000 drags are smooth and strong - you should be fine...

Having said that, if your planned platform is sportboats, then you'll have to be mindful of getting tangled with others and/or rubbing the hull with a good fish in the death circle - especially with the thinner braids used to maintain vertical contact with the SP jigs. Shorter/softer rods make this more challenging - but can be somewhat overcome with good technique (and an empathetic group!).

The best combo I've found is the Innovate/Ocea 2000. I happen to like the instant 'engage' feature if I sense that I've been bit on the drop while freespooling. And the Ocea's drag curve is not so abrupt that a slight dial up of the star results in a dramatic difference - so it's fairly easy to control. Nothing against Accurate - I have a 500N for speed jigging and love it...

Whatever you're using, you want to be careful how you pick your scenarios for when to break out the SPJ setup. Sliding in on a foamer is probably not the best time. A pick bite, where everyone is relaxed and spread out, and you can move to the 'wrong side of the boat' by yourself is best. Use steady pressure and try to control where the fish goes - kinda like walking a dog. Keeping him up towards the bow and away from others will improve your chances of landing him dramatically.

BTW, if you haven't already, you should check out some of the posts in the Jigging/Popping board... (if you can find it!)
    Thank you for the info. I hadn't thought about the line rubbing against the side of the boat. I'm sure I would have thought of it has it happened!

As for when to fish the SPJ, I would definitely wait until we were drifting or anchored up. I'd probably be throwing a colt sniper or stick bait on a foamer.

I found an Innovate from a BD brother which I'm picking up tomorrow so I'll have the Ocean Jigger 2000/Innovate combo that you have.

Which jigs do you like for pelagic? Colors and weight?

Thanks!

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    Jason, Like the others have said, I don’t think there’s another rod for spj to look at.
    Most are 5’8”-6’3”. That said there are long fall rods in the 7’ range. I do not own one so I can’t comment whether it’s a viable option.
    I do own a Heart Rise that I will be using this year on the grounds. Thing is I have my own boat so the length isn’t a problem.
    As for the reel, your gtg. Unless you wanted a 2 speed your jigger blows anything out of the water comparison wise. I bought a Valiant for a new set up and I’m looking to get another jigger to replace it as soon as I can secure one.

Dave

Upvote 0

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Jason, Like the others have said, I don’t think there’s another rod for spj to look at.
    Most are 5’8”-6’3”. That said there are long fall rods in the 7’ range. I do not own one so I can’t comment whether it’s a viable option.
    I do own a Heart Rise that I will be using this year on the grounds. Thing is I have my own boat so the length isn’t a problem.
    As for the reel, your gtg. Unless you wanted a 2 speed your jigger blows anything out of the water comparison wise. I bought a Valiant for a new set up and I’m looking to get another jigger to replace it as soon as I can secure one.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

Thank you for getting back to me. I ended up buying a Gravitate 2 and an Innovate to pair with my Ocean Jigger. I've been out a couple of times using the Gravitate and love it. Haven't had a chance to use the Innovate yet, maybe this weekend. Just not sure how many SPJ set ups I need.

Upvote 0