SPJ and other Japanese style jigging techniques in SoCal

aztec23

• Aug 18, 2017
    North County SD
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 CC
    I’d be glad to meet some of you guys. I learned this technique while station in Guam and fished all sorts of pelagic fish to include yellowfin, wahoo, dogtooth, mahi, amberjack, and deep bottom fish like monchong. I’ve started fishing out here on my boat and have primarily targeted rockfish due to the season but plan to try for tuna and yellowtail. In Guam we hardly ever fished the bottom for Pelagic fish because it was 3-4000’ deep. I would drop to 600’ and jig up for the yellowfin and they might hit on the drop or down deep while jigging up. I use a sea anchor to slow my drift which helps with using lighter setups for deeper drops.

Anyways, we should start a SPJ group that does meetups to discuss techniques and meet like minded fishermen. My current setups:

-Ocea jigger 2000 with pe2 on an infinity ocea jigger rod rated for 150-500g

-Ocea jigger 3000 with pe3 on an infinity ocea jigger rod rated for 300-750g

-Ocea jigger 2000 with pe3 on a Phoenix titan medium heavy rod

View attachment 1269231

View attachment 1269232

View attachment 1269233

View attachment 1269234

View attachment 1269235

View attachment 1269236

View attachment 1269237

View attachment 1269238

View attachment 1269239
    I’ve been giving sp a whirl recently.
    Like your idea of getting together sometime.
    Maybe some of us could meet at a launch ramp in sd bay or mission bay and fish La Jolla or Pt Loma.

Lexa400Roy

Is so tired of this coronavirus disaster
    Apr 4, 2019
    California
    Name
    Roy
    Boat
    No boat
    I’d be glad to meet some of you guys. I learned this technique while station in Guam and fished all sorts of pelagic fish to include yellowfin, wahoo, dogtooth, mahi, amberjack, and deep bottom fish like monchong. I’ve started fishing out here on my boat and have primarily targeted rockfish due to the season but plan to try for tuna and yellowtail. In Guam we hardly ever fished the bottom for Pelagic fish because it was 3-4000’ deep. I would drop to 600’ and jig up for the yellowfin and they might hit on the drop or down deep while jigging up. I use a sea anchor to slow my drift which helps with using lighter setups for deeper drops.

Anyways, we should start a SPJ group that does meetups to discuss techniques and meet like minded fishermen. My current setups:

-Ocea jigger 2000 with pe2 on an infinity ocea jigger rod rated for 150-500g

-Ocea jigger 3000 with pe3 on an infinity ocea jigger rod rated for 300-750g

-Ocea jigger 2000 with pe3 on a Phoenix titan medium heavy rod

View attachment 1269231

View attachment 1269232

View attachment 1269233

View attachment 1269234

View attachment 1269235

View attachment 1269236

View attachment 1269237

View attachment 1269238

View attachment 1269239
    Nice catches, and set ups, working on one of those myself its gonna take a while though lol, that aside might want to be careful with that jig that has 4 hooks, in california you can onoy have 2 hooks on a line while targeting rockfish

Julio353

Cheers
    Aug 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Johnathon
    Boat
    Parker 2520
    Nice catches, and set ups, working on one of those myself its gonna take a while though lol, that aside might want to be careful with that jig that has 4 hooks, in california you can onoy have 2 hooks on a line while targeting rockfish
    I fish in Mexico for almost all of my rockfishing so it’s good down there. I run quite a few jigs with just hooks on top though which I actually prefer. Only put them on top and bottom on the longer ones unless I’m experimenting.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    I am on a temporary hiatus for a couple of weeks while the boat is being rewired and I help my daughter move home for the summer. Can't wait to get back out.

Things are coming together for our SPJ efforts here. I now have Navionics relief shading on a big tablet. And it is extremely useful. Has already made quite a difference. Having it on a tablet like this allows me to study potential fishing areas carefully and plan for our time out on the water. It is a big ocean.....but this tool really makes finding the right spots much easier.

My fishing buddies and I have bought a fair amount of nice gear as well. My buddy Mike just got a new JDM OJ1500HG with the Fall lever. We tried it out last week and boy is it sweet! So nice I ordered one myself. And a very nice Longfall rod to go with it. I also recently bought a TR Innovate 7-8 heavy and a Accurate 500N. So we have been upgrading our gear to get dialed in for this year. I feel much more confident that our catches will continue to improve.

Jeff

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I've posted a link to this before, but it is a good look into the slow pitch jigging I've experienced on overnight and full day trips out of the channel islands. Definitely fun fishing a one pound setup versus the meat sticks most guys use! And I often outfish the guys with the meat sticks! This is unedited video, so you can see how quickly you can load up on quality fish. I don't get the first one until like five minutes in.
    👍

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Nothing worth reporting lately. We must suck....... My buddy says it isn't us but the region around Dana Point that is off this year. I guess that is possible based on the fish counts the landing has been posting? At any rate it has been disheartening. Especially since we have invested heavily in quality gear. We even managed to get our hands on a couple of JDM Ocea jiggers F customs. And boy are they sweet. But it doesn't matter if we can't get the fish to go off. :(
    We will keep at it. Every dry spell ends....right?
    Jeff

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    Don't limit yourself to just throwing the slow pitch. Micro jigging will work really well for bass and local inshore species.

Try going to the sculpin grounds and fish a slow pitch, but add 5-10 seconds of letting it sit on the bottom in between pitches. Worked really well using a Salas 6x jr, pretty sure slow pitch jigs would kill it.

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    It's still fishing. On a recent multi-day trip, the first day I killed it. Filled a 120qt with bottom fish. Second day, not even one keeper. Bite just totally shut down. Same area, every jig imaginable. They just wouldn't bite. It happens. It's not the technique though. You'll be back in business soon.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    It has been extremely frustrating. I know that SPJ works and we have been getting right on top of spots that have produced well in the past. But for the last 4 or 5 trips we just can't get the fish to go worth a darn. I feel like it may be the wrong currents, etc...down at the structure areas we are fishing. Almost seems like these spots have been picked clean. It is very hard to say.

All I do know for certain is our confidence levels are at an all time low. In all my years of fishing I can't recall ever having such a prolonged dry spell.

On a more positive note I got to try out a new rod. It is the lightest rated Phenix Titan Longfall and I think I am in love. It is super sensitive and I really like the way it feels. If we ever do find some willing fish I am certain they are not going to like it much. Of the rods I have and have used to date this one really feels just right.

Jeff

Upvote 0

sjtufan

• Jan 8, 2021
    CA
    Name
    Jim Fan
    Boat
    Boat
    It has been extremely frustrating. I know that SPJ works and we have been getting right on top of spots that have produced well in the past. But for the last 4 or 5 trips we just can't get the fish to go worth a darn. I feel like it may be the wrong currents, etc...down at the structure areas we are fishing. Almost seems like these spots have been picked clean. It is very hard to say.

All I do know for certain is our confidence levels are at an all time low. In all my years of fishing I can't recall ever having such a prolonged dry spell.

On a more positive note I got to try out a new rod. It is the lightest rated Phenix Titan Longfall and I think I am in love. It is super sensitive and I really like the way it feels. If we ever do find some willing fish I am certain they are not going to like it much. Of the rods I have and have used to date this one really feels just right.

Jeff
    I can totally feel you.. Even at Santa Babara area, the SPJ is fantastic at the channel islands, but if the weather is not cooperating and we had to fish the costal area of SB (which is 90% of the trips), SPJ didn't perform well, or at least not as good as squid/bait. And that can be very frustrating sometimes. So far I can tell that this technique is "area dependent". But I'm still buying and trying new jigs every time I go out.

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    When the target species isn't productive in your area you basically have two options:
    -Target the hot bite at the time.
    -Fish another area.

From what I see right now SoCal & the Central coast RF numbers are down, but you have other options like micro jigging for whitefish or sculpin, maybe ?sheephead? ?Calico? and pelagic stuff like cuda, YT.
    Our Rf limits are pretty automatic up here but we don't have the other options like you do down south.

Adaptation might be the path to more action.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    It has been a Catch 22 season for us so far. Earlier this spring it was too windy to even bother trying and now the wind is more cooperative......and the fish are not. Combine that with a stubborn old guy who thinks it is a matter of "cracking the code" and the frustration kicks in. Then consider that we have a lot of new SPJ gear to try out........ and well we just got to keep on trying until we figure it out.

There are miles and miles of very steep drop off shown by Navionics relief shading within easy reach. The fish have to be along that ledge somewhere. There is no way that 10 to 20 miles of it is barren of life. They must be holding deeper than last year and perhaps in unexplored spots. And then there is a whole new depth range available that has not been tapped for 20 years. Up till now we have not spent much time on depths much over 250' to 300'. The top of this ledge pretty much averages 300'.........and then it drops very dramatically. Which means it is rocky.

Stubborn me wants to spend some time hunting there. This drop off is probably not an area the party boats will ever pursue. Given any sort of decent conditions we should be able to get some controlled drifts on it. Just need to find the fish.
    I may be frustrated but I am certainly not ready to throw in the towel. :-)

Upvote 0

sjtufan

• Jan 8, 2021
    CA
    Name
    Jim Fan
    Boat
    Boat
    Nice catch, all those fish looked of good size, but i have a question why didnt you use the rod to lift the fish onto the boat? Ive seen a lot of people doing that on videos
    The temple reef innovate has an extremely slender and sensitive tip. I just don't want to risk breaking the rod.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Temple Reef has a new video on this subject specifically. It makes particular sense to me on two piece hybrid action rods like the Innovate series. Of course it is also subject to the anglers ability to control the landing conditions. Fishing from the relatively high bow off an open party boat often be a distinct disadvantage when it come to landing a fish.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    New species acquired on SPJ: California Rocksole.

Nice video bro, keep it coming!

I still hold my breath everytime you inadvertently touched the rod on the rail 😉….i don’t know if wrapping about 3”-4” above the foregrip with winn grip helps on those situation….I had it done before with my previous non-TR spj rod.

Reactions: sjtufan
    Upvote 0

sjtufan

• Jan 8, 2021
    CA
    Name
    Jim Fan
    Boat
    Boat
    Nice video bro, keep it coming!

I still hold my breath everytime you inadvertently touched the rod on the rail 😉….i don’t know if wrapping about 3”-4” above the foregrip with winn grip helps on those situation….I had it done before with my previous non-TR spj rod.
    I put something like this under the blank, so the load is evenly distributed on the bottom part of the innovate, which doesn't flex when fighting a fish :)

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    I put something like this under the blank, so the load is evenly distributed on the bottom part of the innovate, which doesn't flex when fighting a fish :)

cool….thanks brother i’l try this & price is great..…I think I saw jowo @jowo using this?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

sjtufan

• Jan 8, 2021
    CA
    Name
    Jim Fan
    Boat
    Boat
    Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Yes, I leant it from him @jowo

This is the one I bought. Fit innovate quite well
    great…I’m ordering one now… it seems theres no option chosing your foam color though

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Fwiw I think that something like this is fine as a line keeper. But to lay these rods against the rail and lift a fish would seem to be just asking for problems. And it really should never be necessary. I would think you might want to rethink this practice. Might even want to run it by the people who make the rods themselves.
    Again this is just my opinion.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Fwiw I think that something like this is fine as a line keeper. But to lay these rods against the rail and lift a fish would seem to be just asking for problems. And it really should never be necessary. I would think you might want to rethink this practice. Might even want to run it by the people who make the rods themselves.
    Again this is just my opinion.
    Jeff
    Or maybe try the newly release Temple Reef GRAND CRU or maybe the PROJECT X for this unavoidable or occasional laying the rod on the rail…🤔

E8FE61DF-B883-4A6E-9EF6-D4FE52DFB10A.jpeg

AB502E88-D884-45BD-9CF7-33E1A68B9A98.jpeg

Upvote 0