Heartoak

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Went again yesterday to the same spots as last Friday's success. Was hoping for similar results. But we had a little too much wind and could not stay over these relatively small spots. By the time we could get down we were off the fish. This game seems to be about surface conditions as much as actually finding the fish. Frustrating to say the least. Weather and sea conditions have been all over the place the last couple of months. Not at all typical for this time of year.
Jeff

jowo

Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
I picked up this 20 1/2# bad boy out of Ventura on my buddy's boat. On... A sabiki! After targeting lings and such on slow pitch almost exclusively for the past few years, it figured that my PB eats a sabiki I was fishing for sand dabs! Came up with no sinker and only the top hook, in the skin on his lower lip. Better to be lucky than good in this case! Can't believe he didn't break off!

20200908_125955.jpg

20200908_153521.jpg

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
the ol' sabiki trick. hell of a job

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
I picked up this 20 1/2# bad boy out of Ventura on my buddy's boat. On... A sabiki! After targeting lings and such on slow pitch almost exclusively for the past few years, it figured that my PB eats a sabiki I was fishing for sand dabs! Came up with no sinker and only the top hook, in the skin on his lower lip. Better to be lucky than good in this case! Can't believe he didn't break off!

View attachment 1204281

View attachment 1204282
Got to love that!

Sometimes I try to force the true conditions into doing something I have as a notion. When we arrived on the spots yesterday I knew there was a bit too much wind. Maybe 4 to 5 mph. So far the spots I have found and marked have been quite small. Last week one of these spots cranked out quite a few fish. But that was because we had no wind or current to contend with. Yesterday no such luck.
So we ended up heading inshore to make a few drifts for halibut etc. in about 40' of water. Second drift thru my buddy hollars out WTF! I look over and he is bit big time on 15# gear. The fish peels off at least 100 yards of line before we even understand just how big it is. I ended up following it with the boat until we had it directly below us. Unfortunately it was snagged into a rockpile by then and broke off. This area holds quite a few large Black Sea Bass......and it was almost certainly one of those that pulled this little trick.
When I finally let the prevailing conditions make my decision we anchored up and enjoyed a wide open surface bite for Calicos and Bonita. That lasted a good 2 1/2 hours until a seal lion showed up.
Conditions.....conditions....I really need to remind myself to pay more attention to the conditions.
Jeff

Reactions: Pacific Jigger

Proteus

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
The charter with the best price.
This game seems to be about surface conditions as much as actually finding the fish.
This goes back to something I said early on in these SPJ threads, CONDITIONS. That's why this took off so easily in Florida and is still trying to get a foothold here on the west coast. I posted a link to this website before but I'll do it again:

If you click on "waves" it gives you a really clear view of what the conditions are all over the world, peak at the Gulf or SE Asia, it makes it obvious. That said, I think the Channel islands and Sea of Cortez are the two places with potential to be SPJ hotbeds out here.

We'll just have to tough it out and find a way to make it work in our less than ideal conditions.
Keep at it Jeff.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Got to love that!

Sometimes I try to force the true conditions into doing something I have as a notion. When we arrived on the spots yesterday I knew there was a bit too much wind. Maybe 4 to 5 mph. So far the spots I have found and marked have been quite small. Last week one of these spots cranked out quite a few fish. But that was because we had no wind or current to contend with. Yesterday no such luck.
So we ended up heading inshore to make a few drifts for halibut etc. in about 40' of water. Second drift thru my buddy hollars out WTF! I look over and he is bit big time on 15# gear. The fish peels off at least 100 yards of line before we even understand just how big it is. I ended up following it with the boat until we had it directly below us. Unfortunately it was snagged into a rockpile by then and broke off. This area holds quite a few large Black Sea Bass......and it was almost certainly one of those that pulled this little trick.
When I finally let the prevailing conditions make my decision we anchored up and enjoyed a wide open surface bite for Calicos and Bonita. That lasted a good 2 1/2 hours until a seal lion showed up.
Conditions.....conditions....I really need to remind myself to pay more attention to the conditions.
Jeff
I’m going to try to help out on this issue...
I think it’s fair to say that because we can’t control the conditions, boat control is the number one issue we face, especially when jigging. Absolute control can turn a no-go day conditions wise into an easily fishable experience. It was my number one issue and focus for years as I was using light braid and jigs for deep jigging long before SPJ was around. I wasn’t doing SPJ at that time but the issues we solved are exactly the same as trying to slow pitch jig. I have absolutely no idea how to help the guys fishing from sportboats, but for guys running their own boats, I can definitely help you.
What size and type of boat do you fish from?

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Yes I will continue to work at it. An electric trolling motor with spot lock would probably make a huge difference but the boat I am using does not belong to me. The boat I am using is a 23' Center Console.

The biggest thing I have been fighting with is related to the size of the spots of fish I have found so far. They have been quite small which makes it difficult to stay over them in 200 plus feet of water. This added to the goofy weather we have had the last couple of months has made it tougher than it should be. I need to keep searching for larger concentrations of fish and not waste too much time on these smaller spots. I am sure they are out there and now that I have new electronics to work with it will just be a matter of time until we can get more consistent results.

Last week when we found the fish we had no wind or current to contend with. It was almost too easy...... :D We got them good. Kind of gave me a false sense of confidence. This week I should have paid more attention to the wind conditions and fished inshore early on and offshore later in the day when there was no wind.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Yes I will continue to work at it. An electric trolling motor with spot lock would probably make a huge difference but the boat I am using does not belong to me. The boat I am using is a 23' Center Console.

The biggest thing I have been fighting with is related to the size of the spots of fish I have found so far. They have been quite small which makes it difficult to stay over them in 200 plus feet of water. This added to the goofy weather we have had the last couple of months has made it tougher than it should be. I need to keep searching for larger concentrations of fish and not waste too much time on these smaller spots. I am sure they are out there and now that I have new electronics to work with it will just be a matter of time until we can get more consistent results.

Last week when we found the fish we had no wind or current to contend with. It was almost too easy...... :D We got them good. Kind of gave me a false sense of confidence. This week I should have paid more attention to the wind conditions and fished inshore early on and offshore later in the day when there was no wind.
Your comment on the bow mount with spot lock in dead on and the easiest way to do things if you can. However, there are two additional ways we’ve found and one works great on boats that aren’t yours.
The first way is with a kicker.
You’ll need a modem four stroke high thrust kicker mounted so that the tiller is directly under your non rod hand when fishing. If you fish right handed, your kicker will mount on the starboard side, left handed, it’ll mount to port. Any brand will work, the only requirement is that the shift lever has to be on the tiller within inches of your hand. We’ve found the Yamaha 9.9HT to be perfectly suited to this. Your hand has to jump back and forth between the tiller and your reel. Once you do this for awhile it’ll be second nature and you won’t even think about it.
By simply watching your line angle and kicking the motor in and out of gear, you can maintain a vertical scope on your line. It sounds much harder than it actually is, it’ll become unthinking after 2 or 3 trips.
Oh, and most important, you’ll be backing down into the wind, stern to wind, bow downwind. Lot less work this way.

The next way is with a drift sock. I’m sure everyone has seen and is familiar with the smaller units that can be purchased from many different suppliers but that’s not what we’re talking about here.
We’ll build socks about 96” in diameter out of TPO material. This material is the same stuff used on the roof of most commercial buildings and is available from quite a few roofing supply companies. It’s welded using special high output heat guns available from the same suppliers.
Cordura webbing is available on eBay for building the harness, sailmakers needles are used for the stitching.
Here’s the trick... weight the lower third of the sock around lip so it sinks. Small cannonballs clipped along the edge work well. This way, you can change weight to suit conditions and the setback you’re using that day.
The key to making this work is depth. Because the water near the surface moves with the wind direction, you need to pay out between 50’ and 100’ of line when you deploy it. Due to the weighted lip, it sinks pretty deep, and that is the key to stopping power with a sock. Sometimes we’ll have it 100’ back and 50’ deep.
It can turn 10-15 knot winds into easy fishing if deployed correctly. It has to be seen to be believed.
Oh, and don’t forget to install a trip line for retrieving the sock. If you do forget, you’ll only do it once!😁

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Pacific Jigger;
Thank you for your ideas on boat control. The first time out on these spots I was able to use the boat motor (300 Yamaha) to help hold us close to the spots. Bumping in and out of reverse seemed to work. I do have a small drift sock but as you mention it needs to be larger and weighted. And I think these spots we have been fishing are so small I would be off them before I could deploy a large sock.

For several weeks the electronics on the boat were on the fritz. We just got a new Raymarine Axiom 12 installed and it is a much better fishing tool than what I was trying to use. I think it is just a matter of time before we find some larger spots that are holding fish. Really in my mind that is going to make the difference.
Now that I have a few decent marks on the chart plotter I should be able to build on that. I just have to put the time in. We are going again on Thursday and the forecast looks very good for the area.

Jeff

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Tomorrow's forecast looks very promising for the area we have been fishing. So far I have found a few small spots that have some fish on them.....but I know there are several others nearby that I need to get on and get WP's on. The depth ranges from around 210' to over 260' in this zone. Hopefully finding some of these other spots will be our first order of business.

I think we will fish it with two different techniques to begin with. A 250g slowpitch jig on one set up and a 7oz homemade Tai Kabura jig on another rig to see how effective one style may be over the other. I have a feeling the heavy Tai Kabura will reach the bottom a bit quicker than the SPJ but I have been wrong before. If the spots we find are all small getting down quickly may make a difference....? We will have to see how this idea works out. It should not take to long to assess if we get on the fish.

Jeff

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
It was a lake out there on Thursday. Beautiful conditions. Found a couple of larger spots. All the fish were small. It seems like Tai Kabura jigs and slow pitch jigs fished pretty evenly. Pretty much fish for fish. On one spot in about 220' of water we got a pretty cool surprise in the form of large Bonita. We got bit on our way up about 40' below the surface. I was fishing a homemade Tai Kabura type jig and my buddy had a Buffalo jig on.
Fun stuff on these light rigs. The fish were in the 7# to 10# class and they fight real good at that size. Super fun to get stopped on the way up! My buddy was pretty impressed at how well this light gear performs. I can't wait to get into some yellowtail with it. It is only a matter of time.
Jeff

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
How do you count colored line for depth?
Almost all of the manufactures of colored line changes color every 10 meters or every 32.81 feet. So you just start counting the number of color changes adding 33 ft. for every color change. I just use 30 ft. or just say to myself every three colors is 100 ft. . Then adjust for the variables.

Walt

J-BRAID™ MULTI-COLOR
For deep drop fishing. Color changes every 10 meters for easy depth indication, line movement, and quick programing into Dendoh reel memory for maximum readout accuracy.

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
I am not sure I see the need for metered braid when fishing the depths we have been fishing. With these very light set ups I find it is pretty easy to have a good idea of where I am in the water column. I can see it when fishing over 300' depths.

I have been having fun introducing my 3 fishing buddies to this type of fishing. It has been cool to see the looks on their faces when they pick up on how often these jigs get hit on the sink. Or hear the comment....it never even hit the bottom! It really only takes a few hours until they learn the basics and get excited to go again. Very addictive stuff! :-)

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Hey Guys;
So what is your favorite 20# to 30# braid for SPJ. I am using Powerpro right now but I lost a couple of hundred feet on one trip and am trying to decide what to reload with.
It would be great to hear your ideas on what makes for the best line.
Thanks, Jeff

Proteus

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
Hey Guys;
So what is your favorite 20# to 30# braid for SPJ. I am using Powerpro right now but I lost a couple of hundred feet on one trip and am trying to decide what to reload with.
It would be great to hear your ideas on what makes for the best line.
Thanks, Jeff
Sufix 832 or Daiwa J-braid 8 strand have served me well. I just prefer the smoothness over 4-ply braids.

Reactions: yessokk

Proteus

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
What tackle shops in Southern California carry slow pitch rods?

I don't know what their stock on rods looks like right now but I've ordered JiggingMaster & SeaFalcon jigs from them and I've been happy. They are the only shop I've found on the west coast that carries legit SPJ gear.

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Thanks. I have heard good things about J braid. Guess I will try some out on one of my reels to begin with. That way I will have something to compare it to.
Jeff

Kin

o_O
Oct 10, 2010
San Gabriel
Name
Kin
Boat
ODC 420

I don't know what their stock on rods looks like right now but I've ordered JiggingMaster & SeaFalcon jigs from them and I've been happy. They are the only shop I've found on the west coast that carries legit SPJ gear.
They have relatively abundant stock on their rods. However, once it's gone, it's gone for good for the most part. If you see something you like, you shouldn't wait on it.

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Boy did we stink it up yesterday. Conditions were perfect for 5 hours. I got us on one good looking spot after another. These spots looked to be loade up with fish too. Drop after drop....move after move and all we got were total dinks. Must of got 30 or more that were smaller than the jigs we were using. OMG! I have no idea what the larger models were doing or feeding on down there. I even tried dropping live bait on them........
A very frustrating trip to say the least.

Jeff

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Went into Turners yesterday to pick up a some terminal tackle and was pleasantly surprised by something they had on the racks. I picked up a handful of Nomad Gypsea jigs in the 200gr weight. We have had good luck with their Buffalo jigs and look forward to trying these out. From what I have heard they are really deadly on yellowtail as well as rockfish. Can't wait to try them out next week!
Jeff

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Went into Turners yesterday to pick up a some terminal tackle and was pleasantly surprised by something they had on the racks. I picked up a handful of Nomad Gypsea jigs in the 200gr weight. We have had good luck with their Buffalo jigs and look forward to trying these out. From what I have heard they are really deadly on yellowtail as well as rockfish. Can't wait to try them out next week!
Jeff
Orange worked great for lingcod in AK!

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
This goes back to something I said early on in these SPJ threads, CONDITIONS. That's why this took off so easily in Florida and is still trying to get a foothold here on the west coast. I posted a link to this website before but I'll do it again:

If you click on "waves" it gives you a really clear view of what the conditions are all over the world, peak at the Gulf or SE Asia, it makes it obvious. That said, I think the Channel islands and Sea of Cortez are the two places with potential to be SPJ hotbeds out here.

We'll just have to tough it out and find a way to make it work in our less than ideal conditions.
Keep at it Jeff.
You are right,,, the Sea of Cortez is a bonified "Hot Spot" . Have have had serious success jigging for Yellow Tails fishing out of San Carlos, Mex. After a couple of trips there thought for sure the success could be duplicated on 1 to 2 day trips out of San Diego. My success here has been less then miserable .Jigging has worked very well for rock cods or any bottom dwellers for that matter, but In the last 3 years have only caught a total of 4 YT jigging. I bring my Jigging Gear on every trip and spend at least 2 hours at it. Normally in 1000 - 2000 ft. of water jigging from 80 down to 200 ft. how ever deep the pelagics are being marked. My only catch of note was a 110lb Blue Fin Tuna caught 190 ft. down at
9 p m. . Which compels me to highly reccomend metered line especially for open water jigging. IF going to the bottom on every drop its not necessary but when fishing the abyss you need to have objective information not an educated guess on your depth location. Yes the colors will fades but there is always noticeable change of color to gauge depth by. Would also suggest marking solid colored line every 50 ft. . anything to indicate depth accuracy when fishing open water.
My comments for your consideration .
Walt