• Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    Hi everyone
    Hopefully all is well for you and yours

Hopped on the 3/4 day boat Spitfire out of MDR with 4 hours of sleep.
    Now it's been about oh 10 or so years since I ve been on a 3/4 day boat out of this landing .
    Lets just say I was pleasantly surprised. We left MDR with bait already on board. Great Sized bait , big bait. I wish we would have this sized bait on the Toronado last week. If we did I know our counts would have been considerably higher. All the bait was 5" or bigger and in fair to great shape. If anything it was a little too big.
    In any case we made the hour and a 1/2 trip to the PV/Rocky point area. We started off with Bonito,Yellowtails and Bass. Most of the yellows were rats with a few BIG 1 's mixed in. A few guys got busted off on jigs and the Del Mar next door had a fish on for 30+ mins. with the right kind of tackle ( big jig stick) that eventually busted off. I ended up taking jackpot with a 5 ish Bonito. There we're a few around, enough to keep it interesting without it being annoying. I flylined all day with a 20 fluro/25 setup. I ended up pretty much getting a fish a cast all day with this setup. We stayed at the 1st spot for a couple ,3 hours. I ended up with 5 bonito and a limit of Calico's at this spot, with quite a few released . After awhile it slowed down and we went to Rocky point.
    It was an aquarium in the kelp bed. We saw a bunch of Calico's in the kelp fronds but they didn't want to bite with any enthusiasm. After 45 mins. of that we left. Rocky point lived up to it's name and claimed the anchor ( ouch ). That was the 1st time, actually the 2nd time I've seen the rope part. The crew busted out a second anchor and we we're off to the next spot. We did a drift and the Bass cooperated with a few Bonito mixed in. We tried another drift but it wasn't the same,we couldn't get the same drift. The crew got the anchor reattached and we went to another spot. The results were eh a fish here and a fish there . We try another spot with the same result a fish here and a fish there. We get to the last spot . It starts with a bunch of Bass mostly shorts then Bonito and then a fleets worth of just short Barracuda. They we're nuisance every bait was a fish ,with an occasional bass and 1 or 2 Bonito. In a year we're going to have a nice run of Barracuda assuming they survive. This went on for an hour and then we had to go and came in 30 mins. late.
    I can't say enough about the crew. Customer service oriented and the Capt. came down at every stop to see how it was going. I'll definitely go on this boat again. It was the best surface action (as far as the 3 b's ) all summer and that includes 5 trips to Catalina.
    Thanks for reading this and have a great rest of the week.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

kichigai1

Almost A Member
  • Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    ohh sorry about that ..there we re no bees honey or otherwise
    i guess i should have put