Spitfire MDR 10-16

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Needed to suppress the fishing monster so took a quick 3/4 day at Del Rey. Called Sportking but they were chartered and Redondo local boat hadn't fished anything but rockfish in months. 20-ish anglers, not too bad except a few of the usual slack liners. Baited up in advance, left on time, and hey, we'll be driving for a bit so eat a burrito. Whopping 1 foot swell, basically no wind, and surprising amount of fog. Not zero-zero but pretty dense, around 100 yard viz or better. Thinned out for awhile and got sunny around midmorning when it was like a sauna. Thought there might be a little santa ana blow today but it was too weak on the water to do anything but make fog.

Still eating my burrito when we dropped the hook and someone got an instant yellow. Down low, too slow on my part. Fed a couple fish small mackerel mixed in the bait. Bites were like: pick it up; drop it; repeat, until they eventually pulled or shook the bait off the hook. Sardines were trout sized and lively, much to the delight of small bonies and barrons, and mostly small calicos. Action was basically non-stop but hard to hook fish with the bigger baits (not complaining here). At one point got in a tangle with a slack liner and of course was absolutely hammered. Nothing I could do about it but watch the rod load into a deep bend then snap back-twang!-as the hook failed to find a home. One other yellow on this stop. Nice ones, like 20 pounders or so.

Next spot, a few seabass swam through a couple of times. I think we got three of five hooked. Shallow, with lots of kelp and rocky too so you had to pull on them pretty good (it looked like). They weren't all that big but I certainly would have liked to get one. There was one damned overachiever who got two of the three. The barrons chewed the shit out of my leaders so I had to retie almost every bait for a spell, and ended up having to replace with new leaders. I kept screwing them up somehow because I broke off two of them (one might have gotten frayed in a rock. Never broken any of those connections before (RP)--must have been losing my concentration. With those and constant reties, was a little frustrating. After redoing the braid connection for the third time we were about out of bait, right around noon. BTW, warm greenish water with really weak downhill current and fat sealions at both spots.

We ran back a ways to a sculpin spot in deeper water; 8-ounce sinker was recommended. I said F bottom fishing and besides, I needed to rest my foot. So I took a couple ibuprofen and vegged out on the sun deck, watching the hot sculpin action. As I felt better I remembered one of these spots have a bunch of sand bass (there were already a couple calicos caught). So I stumbled down, grabbed the 15 pound outfit, and tossed out what used to be a smoke gold sparkle fishtrap on a 3/4-ounch head. It's been in a bag with other colors for a couple years so now it's a sort of dirty brown olive with blackish gold flakes. Current here was like fishing in a river, so I let out a shitload of line and did a slow grind. Rod loaded up and I dragged in about a 2-1/2 pound sandy--totally snarfed the lure down into its gullet. Did the same thing again and immediately got another about the same size. Then we headed in.

Nice day, fun fishing. Beats rockfishing any day and there were definite chances at game fish. Geez though, I seriously gotta pick up my game a bit.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Cheers, dudes! Pshuh, haha. Don't get out as often as I'd like so when I struggle a bit and don't capitalize it sort of gets to me. All good though! Take the good days with the even gooder days.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

Dannyak

Oct 25, 2018
Torrance
Name
Steve Dann
Boat
Vibe Yellowfin 130T
If you remember that orange kayak, fishing in that area, that was me. I saw the spitfire. Paddled through that fog and popped out on the spot to see the fleet at the spot. New Del Mar was there too with a ton of private boaters. Lot's of bonies and one of those fat sea lions took me for a ride and tried to drag me into a diving boat. Busted him off with a good bonito and my $20 lure. Was there a couple weeks ago and just sat in a boil for hours picking off fish with no other boats to be seen.

Reactions: Noah & Scoot
Upvote 0