Spirit of Adventure 7 day =Bigeye

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by fishforfun2, Nov 18, 2017.

1. fishforfun2

fishforfun2 Hunter Gatherer

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 18
    I got back on thursday morning off SOA 13 day that turned out to be a 7 day because of weather. We fished Guadalupe for 4 days of pick yellowfin tuna up to around 150# and the captain informed us that we were calling it and headed towards Colonet for a 1/2 day of yellowtail fishing. Leaving the Lupe after a jalapeno bacon cheese burger lunch most of us were hunkered down for the ride and 45 min later the throttles are pulled back! I get my sandles on and go up and Danny the cook is pointing to tuna blowing out of the water next to the boat! Mike the captain Yells Get a line in the water! Its wide open,every bait that hits the water had 90# bigeye boiling on it. There's a few already going and people are showing up from sleep,reading WFO for about 20 min. We ended up getting 17 of these Beautyful 60-90# longfin Bigeye's onboard,total chaos with tangles,gaffing,fish on deck,yelling=Awesome! The fish hung with use for another 30 min or so but never had a re-bite. Mike is always on the hunt and said he noticed a Hard temp break of .7 deg which doesen't seem like much to me but he checked it out and found this Ball of what he thought were about 50 fish. I think every one that was on deck had a fish on at the same time! I never took a pic but I know a couple guys did and will try and get a couple posted. We ended up going back to Island for another night and morning for a couple more fish then trying to find them the next day,no show. Finished at Colonet for some YT.
    The Lupe was slow but we ended up with over 50 YFT with only 1 the was 1/2 eaten by GW shark,Pete hooked it on a PL-68. I fished mostly 60# pink flouro about 6' but I did see a guy,Dennis,get spooled on 80# on a long soak and he knows how tho fish! He had 3 the first eve we got there.
    I haven't seen Bigeye since I fished on the Indian over 20 years ago, talk about pulling a Rabbit out of your Hat!

IMG_7912.JPG IMG_7904.JPG IMG_7923.JPG IMG_7929.JPG

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  2. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    Wow that's awesome bummer about cutting short but you got to pull on some quality fish. We were on the Vag next to you last week for our last and your first day the weather was building while we were there we ended up pretty close to you guys as our anchor pulled a few times.

3. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Bigeye. Wow. Haven't seen those for a long time. During those good albie years used to get a few trolling inside after albie fishing. Nice job. Sucks your trip got shortened

Olddog8 and Bottom Line like this.
  4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Was it just shitbox weather or a hurricane spinning up the coast? Guess it’s like Steve Loomis used to say, if you go to enough baseball games you can sit in all the seats. Good times no doubt, I see Salas as well. Only saw Bigeye on my trips in ‘99 and 2000. Crazy stuff!

5. fishforfun2

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 18
    The plan was to do a couple days at Lupe then head to The Rocks them Lower Banks. Capt. Mike explained to us that the weather was blowing and going to continue for maybe the next week. He said the Excel I think was at Rocks since they didn't have permits to Lupe with less then a fish per angler(20 fish) and if we went there it would just make it harder on them and us. Lower Banks was not biting well either as far as Wahoo. He gave us credit or refund for 6 days. Plus since we didn't plan on going to Hurricane that he was going to save fuel so Anne Marie didn't charge us for Lupe permits,Mike picked up the tab! We had a good time! I landed 8 big yellowfin and 2 Bigeye mostly on 60# and a sardine.

Toro-X, Bill W, terryc. and 5 others like this.
  6. riverplayer

riverplayer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
    Best big eye bite I ever experienced was with Mike on the SOA about 1995 or so. Same thing, 1 hour of every bait in the water being hammered. We may have decked 50 or so. Blood bath!

7. makomiko

makomiko makomiko

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

I was at 5 Star Thursday morning picking up my fish from the previous 11 day trip. Heard you guys came in early, but had some nice Bigeye, Sweet. I fished the 7 day Tuna Chasers in late September when whitey was relentless. Glad they backed off for you. Mike aka "Keebler"

8. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Man, I’d love it if someone would post the bigeye pics!

plj46, surfaceslinger and Rubberhook2 like this.
  9. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    Where are the pics of bigeye? I only see YFT....

plj46 likes this.
  10. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?

:cheers:

Chrisben likes this.
  11. fishforfun2

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 18
    They look alot like Yellowfin but these look exactly like Bigeye! The crew new what they were as soon as they hit the deck. Bigeye have longer pec fins and shorter sickles,when they hit the deck they also have different strip pattern

B eye 17.JPG Bigeye 17.JPG

12. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Those are the ones

13. themacs

themacs Member

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    none
    Best bigeye bite in almost 20 years I would guess!! Leave it to Mike Keating to find them.

14. PUDDLER

PUDDLER John

Name:
    JOHN
    Boat:
    235 Triumph "High Spot"
    Liver is still the best way to confirm imo

15. waldocod

waldocod Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Legend
    A6C495E0-920E-4F2E-9BC0-D711D2EC2A38.jpeg

16. fishforfun2

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 18
    Those are the stripes I'm talking about near tail.Too much chaos to get a picture.You got a nice one!

17. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Bigeye? This is fantastic! Congrats to all who were able to participate. Awesome.

- Jeff Burroughs