Spirit of Adventure 2016

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by alantani, Jun 26, 2016.

1. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    short version - five days on the spirit of adventure, 26 guys from the website, between 10 and 11 yellowtail each, one white sea bass caught by the kid, an assortment of reds and a few lings, some fish at cedros, most fish at san benitos, about 50 yellowtail, assorted reds and several lings at san martin, one idiot in a parker at san martin, that deliberately buzzed the boat and cut off several lines, we shot about 33% from the field, lots of sea lions and busted leaders, 30 pound test was most productive for me, all the rods and reels worked fine, most fish on bait, few on iron, great charter, great crew.

i had to look back to be sure, but my first long range trip ever was on the spirit of adventure in 1997. mike keating and i were both 40 years old, i'd been married for 7 years, my oldest daughter was three years old, another would be on the way in another month, i had just started tinkering with reels a few years before, my arsenal was made up of jigmasters, senators, tld two speeds and calstar rods and i was green as hell! fast forward 20 years and it's a whole different game. only the boat is the same.....

[​IMG]

sunday - 6/19/2016

well, the vagabond is also the same as 20 years ago, just these guys are different! from left to right, meet andrew, jimmer, mark, tim, wes and matt!

[​IMG]

sunday night was dinner at miguel's was fine, but watching the warriors lose was no fun.

monday - 6/20/2016

the next morning was breakfast and denny's, then waiting to board the boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the first thing was to set up the raffle table. boca bearings sent tee shirts and a bunch of gift certificates!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wendy tochihara sent some one pound spools of izor mono!

[​IMG]

sarah from 5 star send a bunch of gift certificates and tee shirts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thomas kanemoto from p-line cut me a really good deal on my favorite jigs, the laser minnows. there are 25 each of the 3 ounce and 4 ounce. i did replace the hooks with some heavier trebles.

[​IMG]

thanks to jeff tseng of phenix for the tee shirts and hats for everyone!

[​IMG]

and we all know mo and scott albertson at pennparts.com!

[​IMG]

once the raffle stuff was out, i did roll call and made sure we took the group photo before these guys scattered on me!

[​IMG]

one of our new guys, steve schuster, donated a beautiful custom rod.

[​IMG]

okuma donated a spiral carbon tech rod, an andros 12 and a cortez!

[​IMG]

our big winners, from left to right, are tomas moffet with the steve schuster custom rod, my brother ed with the okuma sct rod, dave hoffman with the andros 12 and justin stokes with the cortez.

[​IMG]

while we were picking up bait, i had a chance to rig up all the loaner gear. four makaira 10's, four makaira 8's, four andros 5 II's, metaloids and old star drag progear classic series 501's. there were 12 phenix black diamond hybrids, four plain black diamond's, four calstar grafighter 800L's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dinner was ribs, beans, corn and cole slaw. meet the "other" david tang, matt, andrew and johnny bravo!

[​IMG]

we had to deal with a south wind and swell all the way down. it was one of the roughest trips down that i've ever seen.

tuesday - 6/21/2016

first call for breakfast! meet our chef, corey, with eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast. i would gain 7 pounds this week.

[​IMG]

we were supposed to have calico sandwiches for lunch, but with the poor bite we had to settle for jalapeno chicken instead!

[​IMG]

fishing was pretty slow and our skipper was running all over to try to find fish. just trying to kill a little time.

[​IMG]

tim in particular was having a hard day. dang!!!!!!

no one else did any better.

dinner for tuesday night was fajitas!

[​IMG]

meet jimmer, wei, lee, joel and mark!

[​IMG]

meet jeff, steve, warren and my brother ed!

[​IMG]

meet georgia mike, tim, jack and johnny bravo. yeah, i have no idea what's going on either!

[​IMG]

bill, dave and tomas.

[​IMG]

frank and big ed!

[​IMG]

tim, andrew and dave!

[​IMG]

matt, brendan, wes and justin!

[​IMG]

wednesday - 6/22/2016

eggs benedict!

[​IMG]

nothing was happening all morning except for lunch! corey really outdid himself. he put together a killer fish taco bar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

man, these kids can eat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we gave up on cedros and headed out to san benitos where the water was clearer. it was a good move. frank's got a nice one!

[​IMG]

bill stuck a nice one.

[​IMG]

this fish looks a little small, but that's just because ed is so big!

[​IMG]

we were having a HUGE problem with sea lions. i was getting bit plenty, but i lost a bunch because i was fishing 30 pound test and i couldn't horse them in as fast as others. i decided to play this one to keep the dogs busy and give others a chance to land their fish.

[​IMG]

it was nice to finally see things bust open!

we really lit 'em up in the afternoon! here are georgia mike and warren!

this is tomas' first long range trip. from the looks, you would have thought he was a veteran.

dave lost one in the prop.

https://youtu.be/yW8gjk9NpvM

johnny bravo!

https://youtu.be/9VpWGbDoqVY

and the kid gets schooled!!!!!

https://youtu.be/EozpWJvZZlM

thursday - 6/23/2016

fishing was alot slower. just couldn't get them to bite. we had until late afternoon to stick as many as we could, then we had to start gaining some altitude. we would fish benitos the rest of the day, then san martin on friday.

we had a nice yellowtail dinner in the evening.

[​IMG]

friday - 6/24/2016

woke up to huevos rancheros and a surprising 49 yellowtail that we added to the slammer!

after that idiot in the parker ran over our lines and killed the bite, we headed off to another spot for reds and ling cod.

https://youtu.be/nDBanYr7UeQ

it was just like fishing at home, only the reds were twice the size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dinner was flat iron steak, broccoli and a baked potato!

[​IMG]

saturday - 6/25/2016

we were back at the dock at 5am, ahead of all the other boats, and had out gear off loaded by 5am. the SOA crew tossed the fish into the carts and the 5 star crew pushed the carts up to the driveway and on to their processing facility. we had breakfast at denny's, then filtered over to 5 star.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ed and i were on the road at 9:30am, we dropped off the fish to mom and dad's place at 3:30pm, had a light lunch and were home by 7pm. what a day!

i want to send out a big thanks to all the the companies that donated prizes for our trip - boca bearings, izor, 5 star, okuma, p-line and pennparts.com. thanks to steve schuster for donating that beautiful rod, thanks again to sarah at 5 star for taking such great care of our fish, thanks to the captain and crew of the spirit of adventure, and to all the guys from the website that signed up and put up with all the craziness to make this such a great trip! alan

2. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Great report.

Great reel tutorials.

Thanks for both!

Bill W and Workplacesafety like this.
  3. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Wow, great report, pictures, thanks for posting!

4. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    As we all know, every trip is different and attitude is everything. Looks like your charter was a true success and a lot of fun Alan.

5. Shooter

Shooter Member

Thanks for the report..................reeeeel nice.

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Love your fishing reports....lots of photos and lots of fun.....Hmmm there is another David Tang....scary....lol

Anglewood and Workplacesafety like this.
  7. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Congrats on a fun trip, Alan!

Thanks for the report,

- Jeff Burroughs

8. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Thanks for sharing!!! Any sign of Tuna as you worked your way down? Seems you guys stuck to the island/yellowtail theme. I hope to get back on that ride next year for a 5/6 or a 7-9 day

9. Josa1

Josa1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Red Rooster III
    Hey Alan,

Nice report and fun trip. Isn't this type of fishing great. One of the best things of long range is multiple days to just relax, fish, eat and have a good time.

josa1

Fishybuzz likes this.
  10. calicopro

calicopro Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
    I was on the Shogun, and we were at San Martin the same day you were there on the Spirit. I thought that parker was going to do the same thing to us, as he charged the boat pretty hard, but he ended up just sitting in the chum line. He seemed like he thought better about being aggressive towards us, also didn't hurt that the Spirit warned us about him beforehand.

Nice write up!

11. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Congrats Alan on another successful trip. Your reports are always a pleasure to read. Thanks for taking the time to share all the details. We need to fish again very soon!

12. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    The "talk" Capt. Brian gave us was that the BFT were out there but so was a lot of bait. Could burn time chasing BFT or hedge our bets for YT and get better counts. Capt. Brian went with the latter.

Although our counts were not as high as the 2015 trip, he made the right choice IMHO.

13. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Yeah I believe you are correct. All the bluefin in the world is cool but if they are all stuffed and you can only get a couple to go thats a lot of driving for little return. Now if there were great numbers of albacore or Yellowfin around I'm sure option A would have made more sense...

14. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Looks like some good grade Yellowfin being caught but further south than 5 day range. Let's hope that fish moves up!

15. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Nice report Alan, thanks for taking the time.

-Connor