SpirIt 8 day 9/11-9/19

Dec 5, 2011
Santa Monica, Ca.
Name
Tony O'Connell
Boat
Hardcore
With 21 on board we picked up a load of excellent bait and set a soft course for the Rocks. Brian was running a relief trip for Evan and it was great to have my good friend Scotty back on as well as Jimmy, Mike, Greg, with Ely and awesome new addition Augie in the galley. We bent towards the Ridge when the Excel decided to run the Rocks. Starting on the 13 and working down to the 23 we worked hurricane influenced water up to 79 degrees for only a handful of wahoo over the next few days. It was nice not to have a shark problem.

The largest Nomad Madscads were bit well but 4 fish shook off for guys right next to the boat so I am going to explore re-rigging them with 7691's. The best fishing for school grade tuna was in the dark with jigs. After dawn it was a constant process of fighting off the hordes of scad, skippies, and small dorado to get a better grade tuna using 40# and a 2/0 hook. More yellows were caught on dropper loop than jigs. We got limits of yft and near limits of yt, with quite a few grouper and a few pargo thrown in.

My friend fireman Doug had a lifetime trip catching a big jackpot 36# yellow, a 42# grouper, a nice ling, and winning the $50 raffle. I luckily got 2nd with a bomb caught hoo but did manage a good tail on a JRI 4 surface iron which made my trip. Fireman Bill Travis took 3rd with a 32# yellow. My novice buddy Jeff got a nice red for lunch on the ride home. It was a good group of guys on board and the crew as always was great. The weather dictated what we could do on this one, but I think our Nov trip should have a good shot at the hoo on the Ridge and at the Rocks.

1_IMG_1435.jpg
2_IMG_1436.jpg
3_IMG_1434.jpg
4_IMG_1437.jpg
5_IMG_1431.jpg

E
Eharri
While the fish may have been a bit on the smaller side it was fun fishing with a great group of anglers. Nearly everyone caught their limits and if one didn't it was likely that they ended up with limits from donations from others.
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great Report and pics/info. NICE FISH all
    Looks like Doug got a load of tasty meat?
    Glad you all had a great trip on the SOA.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Was it MadScad or MadMac that were being fished? I bought a MadScad and fished it, it wouldn’t stay in the water on the troll but I had it wired up and used it with good success using it dropped back after a jigstrike.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

Toadpole

Toad
    Aug 7, 2017
    Yreka
    Name
    Jim Todd
    Boat
    State of Jefferson kayak
    Scotty is back? Sweet. I hope that he is there in a couple weeks. I love playing “name that tune” with him.

Upvote 0