SPIRIT 7 DAY

Dec 5, 2011
Santa Monica, Ca.
Name
Tony O'Connell
Boat
Hardcore
IMG_1394.jpg
I just returned from a run to the Rocks and the upper ridge. We had 31 hoo the first afternoon at the Rocks but most were caught trolling and on 40# bait and it was a tough battle to get them away from the ever present sharks in the 73.5 water. We were unable to make macs out on the Bank but did manage about 9 yt to 39# over night on dropper loop. The 5/0 Blacktail circle hook worked well on 100# droppers for the sardines with at least 16 oz sinkers. The next day we managed another 11 hoo before we took off for the Ridge. We managed near limits of mixed grade yellows to 28#s with good action on dropper loop and yoyo. I had big time fun on the 7X in mint and sardine colors and caught most of my fish on top on 40#. Bait, weather, boat, and crew were great as always. I would make up plenty of 44# and 58# leaders (or better titanium 40+50) with 2/0 hooks and would try to stay with 50# to pull the fish thru the sharks. We fished kelps coming home but did not fish the bluefin at all as we needed the extra day that an 8 day provides.

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
View attachment 1303885I just returned from a run to the Rocks and the upper ridge. We had 31 hoo the first afternoon at the Rocks but most were caught trolling and on 40# bait and it was a tough battle to get them away from the ever present sharks in the 73.5 water. We were unable to make macs out on the Bank but did manage about 9 yt to 39# over night on dropper loop. The 5/0 Blacktail circle hook worked well on 100# droppers for the sardines with at least 16 oz sinkers. The next day we managed another 11 hoo before we took off for the Ridge. We managed near limits of mixed grade yellows to 28#s with good action on dropper loop and yoyo. I had big time fun on the 7X in mint and sardine colors and caught most of my fish on top on 40#. Bait, weather, boat, and crew were great as always. I would make up plenty of 44# and 58# leaders (or better titanium 40+50) with 2/0 hooks and would try to stay with 50# to pull the fish thru the sharks. We fished kelps coming home but did not fish the bluefin at all as we needed the extra day that an 8 day provides.
Great report. Short and concise.

Just curious. Does Deckhand Mark Clark aka Jethro still work on the boat?

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2011
Santa Monica, Ca.
Name
Tony O'Connell
Boat
Hardcore
No he has be gone for a few seasons now. My good friends Scotty and JP are also off at this time but I hope they return for the whale watch season. Bluefin 24 hours a day is a young man's game and many of us are having problems playing. T

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2011
Santa Monica, Ca.
Name
Tony O'Connell
Boat
Hardcore
The largest Nomad MadMacs in pinks and purples were bit well but I think tracking properly is more important than color. I rigged them as simply as possible with 3' of 400# sevenstrand and loaned them out to others since I don't troll. I would use your heaviest gear because of the sharks. I left one for boat so the crew should be able to give you fresh advice. Most of our hoo were caught on 40/50 # bait. It was tough to get bit on jigs/bombs. Please give us a report upon your return. Good Luck. T

Upvote 0