Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
Hi Members,
Asked a question about Casting to Spiral conversion few months back and now here I am asking for opinion again. Please be patient with the rookie here:-):-):-)

1st picture is I didn’t put pressure just letting the line treat-through the guides. Line is touching 1st guide at 3:30 o’clock.

2nd picture I put pressure and line is touching 4:30 (if really loadup pressure it will at 5 o'clock)

thoughts? Things I have to change before epoxy ?
FB9F59B4-0FEA-44DF-A41E-880428C18FC6.png

D7B1A5DD-12F6-4776-9F54-3A744E6C966D.png

Last edited:

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
The stripper guide looks like it should be at a slight angle. And the rod doesnt look like its fullyy bent at full drag. To get an actual depiction I think you need to bend it more.

Reactions: Explorer1

Day0ne

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
great tutorial!!!

Explorer1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
The stripper guide looks like it should be at a slight angle. And the rod doesnt look like its fullyy bent at full drag. To get an actual depiction I think you need to bend it more.
The stripper guide is offCentered to the left (5-7degree maybe).
As for bending it more.....hmmm.... I got to get some help as this rod is stiff rated for 600gram so.

SO technically speaking, when loaded, the line got to touch every single guides without touching the blank and the transaction of the line is smooth throughout the “Spiral”from -5 degree to +180 degree I am good to go?

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
The stripper guide is offCentered to the left (5-7degree maybe).
As for bending it more.....hmmm.... I got to get some help as this rod is stiff rated for 600gram so.
My concern with the stripper guide is that if you put too much drag and the line is on the right side, 3 o clock, under heavy drag, it could make the guide shift or crack the rod. I check apiral guides under the drag I intend to use. If its a 30lb rod, i use 10lb of drag(10lb barbell) and bend the rod and check guides under pressure. To ensure that nothing wrong is going to happen.

Another question. How far is the center of the reel to the stripper guide. It looks a little close to me. I think you could have done with 1 less guide.

Explorer1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
My concern with the stripper guide is that if you put too much drag and the line is on the right side, 3 o clock, under heavy drag, it could make the guide shift or crack the rod.
Ok, just got neighbour to help out and we managed to set at 20lbs (Spring scale) drag and bend it, it’s touching 5 o’clock on the stripper guide.
:D
Another question. How far is the center of the reel to the stripper guide. It looks a little close to me. I think you could have done with 1 less guide.
Maybe I could have but after taking the guides off the factory epoxy, I noticed the “darker-mark” it made is pretty obvious so decided to use the same spacing so no “previous marking” showing. 「any disadvantage of using one more guide」?
This pic will show the distance better :-)

thanks for the advice I really appreciate it
5850037D-3A5E-449C-A938-CFB3C75B8B91.jpeg

rodblder

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
you should be able to get under the rod with 2 guides vs 3 you're using, I go to the left vs the right to get under, its been proven many times that the way you adjust guides to get the line under doesn't effect casting. And if done correctly , there is NEVER enough pressure on the stripper or any other guide off if correctly triple wrapped with epoxy on each wrap. I've fished and bacid rods for the past 25 yrs, seen every way possible to get the line and finally decided that getting the line under as quick as possible. My biggest pet peave is seeing rods with one of them sticking out 90 deg from the stripper which i fish at 0 deg
call if you to wish to discuss