scfisher

Make it count !
Feb 19, 2007
los angeles
Name
jay
Boat
Not yet
Im looking for a spinning rod for 20-30lb. Whick blank would be nice for this application. Im looking for a 7 or 8ft. Something with a light tip for flinging a live bait.

maybe like a calstar 270H,

Any suggestions on what blank?

Upvote 0

BakerStBobby2

GET BIT
Dec 6, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Bobby Gowin
Boat
nope...
I prefer the Super Seeker SS-CJB80-F. It's got more backbone than the all fiberglass blanks and pulls very nicely.
Bobby~

Upvote 0

Jan from Humbol

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 20, 2003
Springfield Mo
humboldttuna.com
Name
Jan (As in Dutchman)
Boat
Beached :(
Jay, a lot depends on your budget, you might take a peek at what Mark at Acid rod has put together as kits, I bought 3hree recently and am quite happy with the end product.

Fishing Rod Building Kits

Upvote 0

scfisher

Make it count !
Feb 19, 2007
los angeles
Name
jay
Boat
Not yet
Im looking for a custom spinning rod under $200 with high end guides. The blank im looking for is something with good versatility. If price wasnt a concern which blank would you suggest?

Also I was wondering about that acid wrap. I can use that for both spinning and conventional? That would be great.

Upvote 0

Jan from Humbol

Sep 20, 2003
Springfield Mo
humboldttuna.com
Name
Jan (As in Dutchman)
Boat
BT270 7' 12-30lb $76.59
Calstar Inshore Spinning kits include:
Calstar E-Glass Blank, 8 pc. Fuji BSLVG Hardloy Guide
Set, Tip-Top, Winding Check, 7" Hypalon Fore Grip,

I'm sure Mark or Colleen will work with you to upgrade the guides in this kit but the 270 sounds like it's what you need

Rainshadow composites RCLB70ML 7' 20-40lb .880 7.5 Med-Light $43.99
are another possibility, a little beefier than the 270 but still a nice mid range blank

Upvote 0

scfisher

Make it count !
Feb 19, 2007
los angeles
Name
jay
Boat
Not yet
BT270 7' 12-30lb $76.59
Calstar Inshore Spinning kits include:
Calstar E-Glass Blank, 8 pc. Fuji BSLVG Hardloy Guide
Set, Tip-Top, Winding Check, 7" Hypalon Fore Grip,

I'm sure Mark or Colleen will work with you to upgrade the guides in this kit but the 270 sounds like it's what you need

Rainshadow composites RCLB70ML 7' 20-40lb .880 7.5 Med-Light $43.99
are another possibility, a little beefier than the 270 but still a nice mid range blank

Jan, thanks for sharing.

Yes I really do like the range on that 270-7 and the price for the kit.

I havent checked out a rainshadow blank but I should.

Upvote 0

vdub

Jan 17, 2007
San Jose/La Jolla
Name
Vincent
Boat
Rainbow Sandals, Volcom Board Shorts
Im looking for a custom spinning rod under $200 with high end guides. The blank im looking for is something with good versatility. If price wasnt a concern which blank would you suggest?

Also I was wondering about that acid wrap. I can use that for both spinning and conventional? That would be great.

what do you mean by high end guides? because some guides can push you over 100 dollars just on guides for a full set. In reality you don't really need anything that crazy, but it's up to you.

for the acid wrap, that's not really going to work. the point of it is to rotate the guides from a conventional rod so that they end up below the blank. on a spin rod, they're all already below the blank, so if you "acid wrap" it, you're going to spin the guides backwards so they end up on top. I dont think there's any mechanical advantage to that, plus it would just look weird

Jan, thanks for sharing.

Yes I really do like the range on that 270-7 and the price for the kit.

I havent checked out a rainshadow blank but I should.

if you're willing to pay for the calstar, i would say go for it. the rod is going to be great and you'll love it. but if money was indeed a concern, then the rainshadows are exceptional blanks as well. I own 2 of them, and I love them

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2006
Glendora
www.acidrod.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Yours, lets go!
Jay,

It SOUNDS like you and I are on the same page as to the "feel" we like for the tip when slinging live bait. You kind of have to be careful asking about recomendations like yours in an open forum, unless you're able to sort your answers out and pay close attention to the ones that are using the same type of equipment (a Penn 500 casts WAY different than an Accurate 270) as you, but more importantly, FISH like you do... Look at the variety of casting styles the next time you're out on a boat. One guys casts by loading the tip with very little line out, the next guy peels off 8' of line and throws a rainbow, etc... The ideal blank to one caster can be a gagglef**k to the next.

Off the soap box and on to your question. IMO (my taste only) "Lively tip" = glass. Even a graphite/glass composite of comparable spec. isn't going to be lively as an all glass blank.

I've had just about every gucci graphite & graphite composite 15-30lb blank under the sun at one point in time or another, but the one I always go back to FOR MY TASTE is the Calstar 270-8. The tip's the same on the 7', but I find the 8's easier to load on a crowded boat.

LOVE the composites & mega modulus graphites for some applications, but 20-25lb live bait ain't one of 'em....

JUST MY OPINION! lol

Upvote 0

scfisher

Make it count !
Feb 19, 2007
los angeles
Name
jay
Boat
Not yet
You kind of have to be careful asking about recomendations like yours in an open forum, unless you're able to sort your answers out and pay close attention to the ones that are using the same type of equipment (a Penn 500 casts WAY different than an Accurate 270) as you, but more importantly, FISH like you do... Look at the variety of casting styles the next time you're out on a boat. One guys casts by loading the tip with very little line out, the next guy peels off 8' of line and throws a rainbow, etc... The ideal blank to one caster can be a gagglef**k to the next.

Its ok. I'm fine with asking the open ended loaded questions. I started to believe that was point of the forums. I just wanted to brainstorm on what it is that I think Im looking for. Thanks for all the repsones.

I was looking to add a rod that would fish the anchovie. I just noticed with the gear i have that an anchovie rod is missing. Im lookin for a blank for local inshore stuff bass and yellowtail. I know, I know. You cant just have one rod to meet all the needs.

Yes the lighter tip to lob an anchovie is the style im looking for with with about 3-4ft of line.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Jan from Humbol

Sep 20, 2003
Springfield Mo
humboldttuna.com
Name
Jan (As in Dutchman)
Boat
For what you want go with either the Seeker or the Calstar 270, the "H" is too stiff for what you need

Upvote 0