Spinning rod n reel set up

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
howdy all, I'm looking fir a gd rod and reel spinning set up. My dad can't cast baitcasters or the like. I wanna buy him a spinning set up fir throwing irons, jigging a around set up for yellowtail, wsb, and tuna. Throwing poppers , colt snipers ect. Advice and opinions please. Thank you in advance b

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
YT and WSB wont take a huge expense along with say 20-25lb Tuna.The stuff we have around here now will take a more serious reel.Tom
Well, mainly for yellowtail and some tuna. Something not real light. Nor something fir cow tuna. Maybe set up that can cast surface irons fir yellowtail, even if he just drags them in. But also beefy enough for 60lb class fishbor maybe lil more.

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Something like this? Is this too big, too small?

Screenshot_20210807-184424_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

fishwithwill

Almost A Member
Nov 24, 2018
On the roof
Name
OB
Boat
Blow Up Dolly
Brother, I wish I could recall the exact model size...if I find out, I will get back to you...I'm not sure if it is the 5000, 6500, or 8000...solid reel tho...like I said, I've seen all kinds of offshore and inshore fish die on it

Reactions: John Stidman

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
How are the penn slammer reels. A buddy used one other day. He threw poppers at foamers. Not sure the rod. I will.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Hey J.S.

How much is your budget for the entire rig including spectra, reel and Rod??. What sized fish are You or Dad thinking of targeting? Are you on a private boat or Commercial Sport fishing boat with a bunch of passengers?? P.S. the Penn Slammer III is a wonderful reel in the 5000 or 6500 but I have not had a chance to check out the latest version IV. You can also check out the Shimano Saragossa 14000 and 18000 depending on how big a fish you are targeting..

If You and Dad have time you can come by the store on a Saturday and perhaps I can help with Technique on the spinner or conventional.. As a note, gear ratio is probably going to be important depending on the above answers.

Rod choices will depend on your wallet size and which reel and line tests you are thinking about using.

You can PM me if you would like and I will send back my phone number.. If you would like to chat by phone.. It would be my pleasure.

Respectfully,

Jamie

Reactions: Prince

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
How are the penn slammer reels. A buddy used one other day. He threw poppers at foamers. Not sure the rod. I will.

Check out the upgraded "DX" [Dealer Exclusive] series of the new Slammer IV.
Description starts at 1:30.

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Have your dad spend a couple of hours smiling and reading the reviews on alanhawk.com. He is the absolutely best reviewer of spinning reels in the world, and has had a major impact on all of the manufacturers because he doesn't let them get away with marketing bulls#*t.

For a really decent yet budget-friendly combination, the Daiwa BG combos around $150 are rock-solid. For the person who goes offshore only a handful of times a year, it will get everything done.

If you want to treat him to something smoother in his hands, spend double the money and get into the Shimanos. The fish won't know or care, but the Spheros and Saragosas and up are just a real pleasure to fish with. I have used big Penn spinners, still have a 9500, and big Daiwa and Fin Nor and Okuma models, and have killed fish on all of them. But the Shimano models are easiest on my old arthritic hands. I just bought a new Shimano Vanford for use in fresh water. The bass won't know or care, but my hands will at the end of the day.

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Daiwa Saltist...good reel, but...you are also buying into REQUIRED Daiwa Factory Service for the Magseal bearings; Daiwa doesn't sell their Mag Fluid to anyone wanting to service their own reels. If you were already planning to use Daiwa Factory Service for the life of the reel then go for it.

Alternatively, Alan Hawk evaluated the BG 8000 with a realistic max drag of "...12 KG (26.5 lbs)..." and "Generally, as long as your target fish will not regularly exceed ~30kg (~65lbs) you should find a size that serves you well."

I bought the BG6500 based on the above, and, as a 40lb setup with 65lb braid main and 12-13 lbs max drag from top-of-spool, it has boated 40+ lb YT at Cedros, YFT and dodos at the Ridge with no issues with the estimated max line out being under 100yds. If needed, do I feel comfortable with pushing it up to a 60lb setup with 18 lbs max drag from top-of-spool? Yes, because there is 400+ yards of the 65lb braid on the spool.

YMMV.

Last edited:

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    Hey J.S.

How much is your budget for the entire rig including spectra, reel and Rod??. What sized fish are You or Dad thinking of targeting? Are you on a private boat or Commercial Sport fishing boat with a bunch of passengers?? P.S. the Penn Slammer III is a wonderful reel in the 5000 or 6500 but I have not had a chance to check out the latest version IV. You can also check out the Shimano Saragossa 14000 and 18000 depending on how big a fish you are targeting..

If You and Dad have time you can come by the store on a Saturday and perhaps I can help with Technique on the spinner or conventional.. As a note, gear ratio is probably going to be important depending on the above answers.

Rod choices will depend on your wallet size and which reel and line tests you are thinking about using.

You can PM me if you would like and I will send back my phone number.. If you would like to chat by phone.. It would be my pleasure.

Respectfully,

Jamie
    Were on my private boat. We are new to Southern water fishing. We fish morro, psl, and North for albies. Rick fish and halibut, salmon. We are started fishing channel islands for wsb and halibut. Now we're fishing Dana Landing area. 2 times now for bluefin. No fish. Got hit few times on troll. Makeral cedars. But back to your main questions. He can't cast conventional reels. He's always used as we call them. Open face reels. Aka spinning. So he needs something not too big for Yellowtail and not too small for 80lb tuna. Throwing surface irons, flatfall and jigs, throwing poppers at foamers. He really just needs an all around set up as its probably all he will use unless I get him few set up. We use conventional on all our trolling, rockfish, halibut and live bait. About everything he dont have to cast. I'd like to give his ol butt a chance at throwing things at fish. A budget for brand new no more than $500. More if needed. He only fishes with me. Thanks for asking and helping.

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    Ok, after all the advice and opinions. Im Hoping I got a decent set up. Here's what I went with. Its for my 72 yr old dad to be able to cast poppers, irons and ect. Hopefully this will be able to handle bluefin as well as yellowtail. Diawa bg8000 cause it holds more line. And the diawa proteus wn 80hfs 55-100#. Spooled with 80# green braid or whatever they recommended. Reel was $139.99 and rod was $279.99. I'm hoping its enough. I'll be using it when he's not with me but its mainly for him.

20210809_161738.jpg

20210809_161400.jpg

20210809_161345.jpg

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    ...Spooled with 80# green braid or whatever they recommended...

Hope it was WHITE braid and not GREEN that was recommended...even on a private boat, IMHO, having highest line visibility possible under all light conditions is best.

Overall, based on my experience with the BG 6500, your BG/Proteus setup will do what you need. Your dad, if he already isn't, will quickly become all too familiar with the lift-up-slowly-&-retrieve-down-fast technique once he hooks up to that first "big" pelagic on a spinner.

Perform as much of the Alan Tani "pre-service" maintenance as possible; a thorough lubing of the line roller internals with marine grease is highly recommended.

Best.

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
    Jul 25, 2009
    Hell, CA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    20' Beachcraft Cuddy
    I think that pretty much any yellowtail is in trouble with that. An 80lb tuna is probably going to be pretty sporty...