yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Heard on Let Talk Hookup about an ocean spinning reel with the live bait feature? What is the model?

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
I have an Okuma "Avenger" and it seems to do alright. I have only had it for six months or so and have done 10-12 local yellows on it. But Setting the standard is the Shimano Baitrunner. I still have "baitrunners" that I bought 15 years ago that I beat the crap out of and still fish them today. The Penn "Liveliner" didn't last even two months and I threw that one overboard... Sucked.

DSCN0795.JPG

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
X-2 on the Bait Runners. I won one in a raffle years ago.
Never use it much , but whenever I do its bullet proof.
Fly line in free spool then flip the lever, also adjust the tension on the free spool

Tom Jr.

Retired Crane Operator Local 12
Aug 1, 2009
Riverside,Ca.
Name
Tom Jr.
Boat
yes
I just wish they would put the bait runner feature on my Stella.
I have most of the bait runner reels from Shimano, most people don't know that they can back spool while in the bait runner mode. The only reason that I use a conventional reel is because of my shoulder, not because the fish can tell the difference.
Tom Jr.

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
I have two with bait runner feature.... .Both are Penns.

MODEL #SSV4500LL the LL designates the Live bait function this model has 25#'s of drag

MODEL #SSV6500LL this model has 30#'s of drag

I have had the 6500 for 2 seasons and it is holding up well! I now would not own a spinning reel for tossing live bait without the function, it is that nice.

Last edited:

Swampchicken

Master Of All Thats Good
Nov 30, 2007
Yorba Linda
www.okumafishingusa.com
Name
Davey
Boat
Parker 1800 "Work Boat"
Currently, we have the following series in a Baitfeeder:

Coronado Graphite Frame/Sideplate/Rotor. Aluminum Spool ($89.99-99.99)

Trio-BF Hybrid Aluminum/Graphite Frame and Rotor. Graphite Sideplates Aluminum Spool ($99.99-129.99)

Avenger BF Graphite Frame/Sideplate/Rotor. Aluminum Spool ($54.99-74.99)

Between the Coronado and the Avenger, similar specs, the Coronado is more of the Saltwater version. Corrosion resistance, stronger gearing, etc.

Hope that helps.