Spinning Guides For UC 70HP

Jeff D.

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2015
Name
Jeff Davis
Boat
Home built 18'
I'm not a big spinning reel guy when it comes to heavier gear. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to right guides for tossing heavy braid with spinners.

What stripper guide & model would be a starting point for 80 braid. This will be used with an older DAM Quick 5001... Jeff

Mtnfshr

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
Just a point out, that reel was made quite a few years before braid came on the scene. Therefore, you really won't have the drag capabilities that you would a more modern reel. That reel was most likely made to fish 25 or 30#. 40# would be pushing it hard. I would suggest 1) get a more contemporary reel if that's how heavy you want to go. 2) get a lighter blank in terms of what your reel is capable of.
Personally, I would clean up the reel and display it. That reel and rod are a mismatch. Isn't that blank rated for 60# tops?

Jeff D.

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2015
Name
Jeff Davis
Boat
Home built 18'
This reel will easily produce 30 lbs. of drag. The rod while capable of being pushed this far will not fish well at the level this reel is capable of.

The CP line of rods are capable of being fished way outside their rated line class. They act like an unlimited rod a bit when doing so.
Not a pleasant way to use them all the time. But if the drag needs to be cranked above or completely outside the CP's line class they are very capable of doing it... Jeff

The DAM Quick 5001 was by some accounts the first Super Spinner ever produced..l

20200723_135351.jpg

20200723_135509.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff D.

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2015
Name
Jeff Davis
Boat
Home built 18'
This reel will easily produce 30 lbs. of drag. The rod while capable of being pushed this far will not fish well at the level this reel is capable of.

The DAM Quick 5001 was by some accounts the first Super Spinner ever produced... Jeff

Jeff D.

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2015
Name
Jeff Davis
Boat
Home built 18'
Anywhoo, can some one give some pointers on guides for heavier braid with this set up... Jeff

Mtnfshr

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
I stand corrected. I'm not familiar with their newer stuff.

I suggest the Alps XN Series or Fuji KW Series of guides.

Jeff D.

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2015
Name
Jeff Davis
Boat
Home built 18'
I stand corrected. I'm not familiar with their newer stuff.

I suggest the Alps XN Series or Fuji KW Series of guides.

Hey no problem at all.

This is by no means a Cow Tuna reel. Makes a great heavy 50 -60 reel will work well for 80 if line capacity is not an issue

Guess I'll just purchase several makes of 30 & 40 size stripper guides not like they wont get used at some point... Jeff