Spinners the new norm for tuna?

Jan 29, 2019
Long Beach
Name
AJ Ayala
Boat
Kayak
I fish the Tunnus 8000 on a 7ft phenix black diamond custom. The bait runner kicks ass and has handled some nice fish. I can put bait or a lure in the zone no problem. I even troll with the bait runner.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    There is the east coast west coast mentality where techniques are quite different. I lived in SoCal until about 6 years ago then moved to Florida. Learning curve is extensive. Spinner are filled with braid but rarely exceeds 30 lb test, where as in Ca a conventional they are braid with 50 lb or higher. I still use my conventional reels for bottom fishing and Blackfin/Yellowfin tuna when they cooperate. But saying one cast further than the other, both need to be in same configuration. Add a good inshore conventional rod & reel with 30 Lb braid and you would be surprised how far it will cast. For any Tuna, the spinning reel loses as i have yet to see a 2 speed that works correctly. Sometimes you really do need the winch effect especially for anything over 100 lbs. Anything under 150 Lbs either will work great. Another difference in coasts is east uses smaller pound test in braid but uses a higher pound test in leader. Example, 20 Lb braid with 50 Lb leader where as on the west it is usually 65 Lb braid with 20 - 50 Lb leader. On the east they also chase their fish as dead boat fishing is really frowned upon so they can use smaller scale line.
    👌

Upvote 0

Xue

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Xue
    Boat
    None
    You use different muscles fishing the two. Conventional is lifting with the biceps and spinning is pretty much on the shoulders, but the elbows seem to play a bigger role than conventional. At least this is what it feels like to me fishing the two. It's like the grips in pull-ups and chin-ups. You will definitely feel more pain with a spinner and I would say need to be stronger than the conventional guy. My biggest gamefish on a spinner was an estimated 30 lb yellowtail and I wouldn't want to do it again and I'm a pretty strong guy.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Xue -- You are right, different muscle groups are in play. But the biggest advantage that you can give yourself with spinning gear on a big tough fish is to NOT use your shoulder. With the rod in your armpit it is extremely difficult to put a proper bend in the rod. If you always wear a belt cup for the rod butt, and drop the butt down below your waist to pull with your upper hand up high on the rod, you will be able to really get some leverage on a big fish. I'm NOT a strong guy anymore, just an old fart, but I know that any fish up to about 50 pounds is a Dead Fish Swimming and doesn't know it.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    ...You will definitely feel more pain with a spinner and I would say need to be stronger than the conventional guy. My biggest gamefish on a spinner was an estimated 30 lb yellowtail and I wouldn't want to do it again and I'm a pretty strong guy.
    Just because the "first" 30 lb fish was an effort, it doesn't necessarily mean later 30+ lb fish will be just as hard. Your technique will adapt and refine along the way as it does with anything else.

Does the spinner physically require more effort? Yes, I have found that it certainly does in different ways from a conventional, but I've also noticed that the gap is closing as I boat more of the bigger fish on the coffee grinder.

Practice makes perfect...but I'm happy with moving towards parity though I may never get to that point. The challenge is part of the journey, IMHO...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0