Spinners on the Rail?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Fincutter, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    I've read through a bunch of old threads about using coffee grinders for big tuna and a few of them mention the possibility of putting a spinner on the rail. I've been experimenting with this at home and am not sure how it would work. It seems that you'd have to turn the rod at least a little sideways and I read somewhere that this can run the risk of breaking the rod (I don't know if this is true). So . . . what's the best way to use the rail with a spinner?

And what about other options for spinners when it gets to the up-and-down end game? Perhaps a spin strap and a harness?

2. JohnnieB

JohnnieB SelFishAddiction

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    Harness with spin straps, The rail is not an option

3. offshore6

offshore6 Where's the tuna?

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Boat Ho
    ^ Agree!
    Also, you have to adjust your harness specifically for spin straps ahead of time and it is different than the adjustment for your conventional reels.
    I got a 140 on the spinner two years ago (with lots of help from the crew) and I don't really want to do that again.

madrugador and Fincutter like this.
  4. okie man

okie man Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    Fishordie has it down

terrace likes this.
  5. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Yes he does. Does Jamie still have that contraption? That was really cool watching him bring in fish with that setup.

terrace, fishboy93 and Fincutter like this.
  6. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I just went through this on a trip to Venice LA last April.We used the spin strap ahead of the reel stand.Used the Aftco pad and a bucket style harness.Took a little work getting it adjusted but it allowed me to be able to take my hands off the rod at times.The biggest down side to the spin reel is the lack of pulling power of just turning the handle like a 2 speed convent in low gear.You have to be able to lift the fish and wind down to gain line.I was using one of the Roddy 2 speed spin reels and had it in low gear pretty much the whole time.Not really big fish.90-100 YFT.Was fishing 80 braid with 60 floro topshot.Everything worked out,got the fish but will tell you the quads KILLED for a couple days.I have some pics,will try to post.Tom

Cubeye and Fincutter like this.
  7. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Spinner's on the Rail?

C'Mon Guys , On the East Coast we jerk those things in. Those Tuna are a bunch of Pussies..especially Bluefin. LOL

Seriously though- Larger Tuna caught successfully with Spinning gear = Right Gear + good Technique+ Strength/stamina

Right Gear: If you have a large Tuna (over 120lbs) hooked up from a stationary platform you better have a strong Popping Rod as well as a quality Reel(Stella or Dogfight) with the appropriate drag set (like 28lbs + and adjust accordingly). Many long battles as well as being spooled with bigger tuna could have been avoided with a higher drag setting.

Technique: Holding the rod with your Strong hand and reeling with your other hand While bracing one knee against the bulk head while putting the butt of the rod in a proper belt works for me. When fish is up and down, use two hands to lift up and reel when pumping the rod back down. The rod straps work too on longer fights and can help when the 3rd part of equation(strength and stamina) are not quite there..

Strength/stamina: Unlike conventional railing: where anyone can really rail a rod with great technique and successfully land the fish.
    With Spinning gear: strength /stamina and being in good shape can greatly affect a positive outcome when landing a larger tuna with spinning gear.

Here is a video with pretty good technique and tackle and a 270lb fish too..

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  8. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Here is the End game on a 600lb BFT on a spinner with the use of the Straps...

Cubeye and cortezpirasea like this.
  9. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Fu*k that... LOL no way I could do that...then again I am 60 years old now...That was incredible.

vegasandre likes this.
  10. JohnnieB

JohnnieB SelFishAddiction

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    I'm with ya! That was a battle, I need a beer after that one, nice catch and release

11. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    That's bad ass. Sort of like climbing Half Dome. Two ways to get to the top; both are a rush but one (straight up the face) has more street cred than the other.

12. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Both videos were excellent, Thanks! And both fights would have been easier if the anglers had been wearing kneepads, so they could have braced against the sides more solidly. McDavid 6440, you won't know that you are wearing them until you need to brace yourself with your kneecaps.

vegasandre likes this.
  13. af dreamer

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    That is about the same setup I used.Tom

14. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Painful

15. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    My buddy got a 261 # bft 3 years ago. 10 miles out from Oceanside.. Trinidad 40,. 700 H , 50# came right to his skiff.. hardly caught at all..

Look it up on youtube "giant tuna on popper"

Jeff

16. Havexico

Havexico Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    28 Nordic
    No rail needed. Hit the gym if you want to use that equipment for big fish.

vegasandre likes this.
  17. jusjac

jusjac Newbie

Name:
    jack
    Boat:
    210 outrage
    Hooked a cow at the banks on saltiga 6500 and seeker 600 xh, and was beaten. First time I've ever handed off a fish, first time spending or should I say sharing a fight for over three hours, used a friend's harness and still could not lift him. We had it button to 30lbs. So grab your set up and put the 30lb bar bell on and hold it for a while. On a blue fin in most water the the depth is much less then the bank so the angle is less then a straight up down. Lifting and gaining line vs rod flex and cranking conventional on the rail is a world of difference. Using the popper on the surface with big treble would also be an advantage. Mine was on a knife jig with a big circle about 200 ft down and that is were it stayed , towards the end of the fight it free swam up along port side and was almost gaffed by skipper, just to flip us off and swam to the bottom . Every one said it was 220 to 250. Just make sure your geared up and in shape. After three hour second mate and I looked at each other and said to button down full drag on popped it off.

Cubeye and vegasandre like this.
  18. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Wow , that was an Epic fight!
    Pretty sure the reason for not getting this fish in was the rod. None of the typical West Coast rods are suitable as they do not make or specialize in Jigging specific(or popping specific) rods: Jigging-Short under 6' rods with tons of back bone/lifting power.

For a spinning jigging setup(for big tuna) you need a jigging specific rod such as a Black hole 350gr-450 gr rod , Synit etc... You would of absolutely crucified him with the Synit.

19. af dreamer

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I did not intend to catch a tuna on the spin.Went to use it on AJs and smaller stuff.Caught about a 80lb on the bent butt stand up outfit and I said what the hell.The rod and reel IMO is a good 40lb outfit but had a lot of line and wanted to field test both the rod and reel so just put a bait in the water and everything went well.Tom

20. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    A spinning reel for rail fishing ? :rofl: