Spinner for cow Tuna

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Socal49erfan, Dec 19, 2015.

1. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    One more thing on the boat I fish on where spinners are not forbidden and even encouraged they have backed down on fish several times.

And BTW merry Christmas to all.

vegasandre and ifish42na like this.
  2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    That is what I mean... That fish went through two anglers and I know that Derick can pull crazy on a fish. It has to do with more with the limitations of gear and the limitations of the fishing platform.

Sami has great teqnique, but the gear he used on a non moving long range platform would put him in a handicap zone.

JohnTFT and ReelDealAngler like this.
  3. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Talk is cheap... bring it on!... just have the Excel do another special cow trip for the "expert" spin reel anglers living around the world (a limited load which is even better when spin gear is in use). Sami just might want to talk to Kilsong first though before bringing his "A" game to SD, Kil has tried it first hand (more than once) and he has admitted right here on BD that west coast YFT fight much harder than east coast BFT of the same size. Kilsong is a pretty skilled and accomplished angler as well when it comes to using spin gear, and he is a straight shooter who tells it like it is.

IMO, the only chance of ever putting a super cow YFT on the deck of an LR boat with spin gear is if the fish dies of a heart attack during battle and gets dead lifted while being floated up to gaff before the sharks get it... or possibly with the use of a large thru wired plug/popper that has 2 large Owner Stinger 76 (6X strong) razor sharp trebles attached to it that gets inhaled by the large tuna and then proceeds to lock the fish's jaw in a closed position or perhaps if the big plug/popper gets lodged in the big fish's throat severly restricting water flow over it's gills which eventually leads to suffication via oxygen depletion (both of these scenarios are basically "fluke" catches in my view... similar to the super cow that was landed in 10 minutes on conventional gear while fishing at night where the fish got very disoriented while in the glare of the boat's lights and ran right at the boat were they then stuck several gaffs into that green disoriented fish to put it on the deck.

G

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  4. etwizard

etwizard Member

Name:
    solomon
    Boat:
    Free 4 All
    For those of you who are looking. I have an, as new, Stella 20000. I used it once. It comes with 80# hollow spectra and I have to sell it. I'm reducing my cow diet diet after spine surgery this October. Nothing over 80# (lol) in my future diet. If I'm so lucky. I need to pay for my meds these days. It will go pretty quick at $850.00 plus shipping. Let me know.
    Cheers!
    Solomon

5. etwizard

etwizard Member

Name:
    solomon
    Boat:
    Free 4 All
    Nice to know. Thanks! It appears that this is an older model and is used. Mine is virtually new. Used once. My reel is loaded, as noted with brand new spectra. There will always be someone who sells something cheaper. Always. Thanks for looking!

Steve K and Bill W like this.
  6. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    I watched a guy catch cows twice using bait with a spinning setup. That didn't make sense to me sense there is no advantage in this case, still he did it. Has to have been done more than that. It really isn't that special anymore. I've put several in the 160-180 class and one just over 200 on deck with an 8 foot popping rod, so it is certainly doable with a shorter rod. I will say that trying to do it with a chest harness, like the picture in this thread, is extra tough. I did that once, never again. You have to be sitting down of that to work well. But using a normal long range harness that has a spinning adapter makes it much easier. And I don't know what the concern is about getting stuck at the bow, just walk the fish back to the stern as soon as you get a chance, then the rail isn't too high. And yes you can walk a cow :). And you palm the spool on each lift to add drag, this part is actually easier to do with a spinning reel. It doesn't hurt to have a wingman with a y though :). In my opinion the hardest part to getting a super cow though would be to get them to bite in the conditions when you would be using spin gear (eg. Using poppers and jigs). In my experience the smaller fish are more aggressive and hit these lures long before a super cow would. It seems almost all of the really big fish are lazy feeders or want larger meals. That seems to be the biggest hindrance to catching a super cow on spinning gear, not the gear itself. Personally I look forward to seeing a super cow inhale a popper. Hopefully I'll get that on film!

Bill W likes this.
  7. Socal49erfan

Socal49erfan Newbie

Name:
    Robert A Neloms
    Boat:
    Independence
    I have a Phoenix Megalodon MPX-S 880MH PE 6-8 is that to big or should I use a shorter Rod for cow fishing?

8. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Hmm.... I believe a 8 foot 8 inch rod... As the Japanese flight commander said to the pilot. "You are going to take your zero and dive your plane on the enemy ship, killing you and all aboard"

9. ReelDealAngler

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Aaron I believe the one cow you caught on an LR boat with spin gear was on a plug and if not mistaken you landed it pretty fast considering the gear you used... perhaps those double 6X trebles on your Baby Runboh that got inhaled by that cow did some damage as far as locking the fish's jaw which lead to less water flow over the gills and oxygen depletion set in... the fish runs out of gas so to speak or did the fish just die for that reason? any video on that one?... curious and would love to see that battle as it took place. The only other cow taken on an LR boat to my knowledge (or published anywhere) was Jamie's which was taken on bait using the rail brace he designed for use of the rail and that battle basically ended with him breaking the brace and blowing up his Accurate Twin Spin spinning reel with the fish being hand lined in during the end game.

I agree with your take on Super YFT feeding habits but I believe there have been a few taken on the jig (my buddy Mike got one on a PL68 that was 298) so that deep larger size knife/flat side jig with a glow belly finish they use for BFT on the east coast IMO would be the best bet for a YFT Super on the spin gear when fishing LR as far as hooking up goes... as far as landing it goes... I give the "A" game spin reel angler using a proper harness a less than 10% chance at best (tuna often do not fight as hard at night and they get disoriented as well and they get real nervous and do squirrely things like run straight at the boat, they instinctively know that their toothy neighbors prepared to eat them have an advantage on them at night so sometimes out of the ordinary stuff happens ("shit happens" as they say).

G

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  10. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    A future "wild card" is going to come forward when one of the major mfrs. put out a premium 2-speed spinner.
    There are at least two different patented 2-speed systems that currently exist, and the one company that was at ICAST a couple of years ago, showing several high-end 2-speed spinners in the $1500 range went down in flames.
    It's only a matter of time.

11. Ffiisshh0

Ffiisshh0 Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    24 Hydra Sports CC
    I got spooled on the Maximus 2 years ago w Stella 20000. 400 yds of 100lb jerry brown. It was more than exciting to watch super cows blowing up on topwater, not so fun when this could not be stopped! a couple over 200 were landed by conventional gear and bait out of this school as well as a toad 340 by fellow bloody decker. I wanted to try the spinner on these grade fish, I had my Maks ready. I wouldn't trade that experience of topwater bite for landing a fish on conventional gear. We tested the drag after on the Stella, 32 pounds off the rod tip, plus occasional palming the reel. Its not for everyone, but if you want a beating, its your best bet!!

Tackleho619, etwizard, cudun and 2 others like this.
  12. newtauk17

newtauk17 Newbie

Name:
    Kohei
    Boat:
    18',Robalo
    HI - if you've ever watched some of the FW bass guys on TV, instead of using the drag on the reel, they reel backwards when the fish wants to take line. There is applied pressure as long as you are holding on to the handle and reeling backwards only when the fish wants to take off. There would be no applied pressure - only if you just let the handle go backwards on its own. Would be tough to accomplish, no doubt. The procedure would be similar to the 'knuckle-buster' reels of long ago - no drag, just a finger pad to apply pressure to the spool. Make any sense? If not, sorry about that.

13. ReelDealAngler

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Steve,

Even with a 2-speed spin reel you still must twist your line around a stationary spool (its just not a good design for heavy lifting... period), with this reel design you will always have two 90 degree line angles to deal with instead of one. And then you still have your line hanging below your rod which is NEVER EVER going to be a positive factor on an LR boat that has a waist high rail around it. You have a more expensive tool that is a lot more fragile to work with when fishing it in the LR arena which is a very harsh environment with lots of hard ("game over") surfaces to negotiate... plus as stated earlier you have the common over/under drill when LR fishing with 20+ anglers on the same deck rather than one on a smaller, center console boat that moves with the fish, and getting out of high tension tangles which is also pretty much a given on an LR boat (considering amount of anglers fishing at any given time) is simply NOT going to make life any easier for you when using spin gear.

So... IMO you can put lipstick on a pig, but bottom line is: its still a pig!

G

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    doitnow and Bill W like this.
  14. joetunaguy

joetunaguy Newbie

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    17',BW, kelpcutter
    A 2 speed spinner ? Does not make sense. However it's late.

15. joetunaguy

joetunaguy Newbie

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    17',BW, kelpcutter
    Well I can imagine if it's 50-60" per crank .. at maybe guessing 1/8 turn or so. .2-speed .. But spinners don't grind as far as I've seen. Good night

16. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Change is difficult for some people.

nmthree and joetunaguy like this.
  17. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Another elephant in the room... Putting the reel in low and cranking will twist the line... But you guys knew that. Market any idea, there is always a buyer.

dh515 and ReelDealAngler like this.
  18. joetunaguy

joetunaguy Newbie

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    17',BW, kelpcutter
    I'm just learning this "like" function. Tks

oops !

nmthree likes this.
  19. Ffiisshh0

Ffiisshh0 Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    24 Hydra Sports CC
    Landing hundreds of bluefin in the north east on spinners taught me 1 thing, comparable weighted pacific yellowfin would drag those bluefin around backwards in a pulling contest!! Plus the deep water helps the yf as the bluefin are usually in less than 200-300 fow. Also, most of those fish have been from sport boats that maneuver w the fish. There are capable anglers with proper gear and technique that certainly can handle cows & super cows on spinners on a long range platform. Ive accepted the fact that Im not 1 of them!! 20-30 year ago model maybe, not this high mileage, seasoned, softie!!

Tackleho619 likes this.
  20. newtauk17

newtauk17 Newbie

Name:
    Kohei
    Boat:
    18',Robalo
    Agree completely. Just discussing the subject of alleviating/minimizing line twist on a spinning reel. Maintaining a stationary spool is the optimal way to alleviate line twist.