2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
20130725_200115.jpgrecently i noticed my reel feeling tight or stubborn as I'm reeling in line. ive only had it out a few times, washed and cleaned after each trip. so i thought to open it up and check out where the problem might be occurring. my first thought was the main shaft rubbing as it is doing its thing. so i added a lil grease on the shaft and still it feels like something is sticking. so upon further inspection i started to isolate the "rub", and found it is the first bearing underneath the rotor. completely frozen or locked up. wtf? i bought this reel last october after waiting 2 months for it to come off back order. fished it 3 times and now a bearing seizure. anybody out there having similar problems or maybe have some suggestions? thanks

Last edited:

Fishin Phil

Fishin Magician
Jul 20, 2005
San Diego
Name
Fishin Phil
Boat
Someday
I just got my 8500 LL yesterday. Out of curiousity was the bearing greased when you pulled it? I would put the bearing back and contact Penn and see what their response is. I would think they would stand behind their product.

2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
Bearing was pretty dry. Penn wants me to reassemble it and mail it to them so they can correct it. I asked if they could just send the bearing because I dont want ti wait 2-3 weeks. She then suggested taking it to an aurhorized dealer, maybe that will be faster.