Yuri_SD

Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2019
San Diego
Name
Yuri
Boat
none
I've been a spinner guy and just got into conventional with Shimano Torium star drag. Had my first day casting on the water and 3/4 of the time i was getting over-runs. When I did have a clean cast - it would not go far due to me slowing it down to prevent over-spin. Obviously I need to learn the proper technique and train my thumb.

I understand the advantages of conv reels (often lighter than similarly sized spinners, using rail, cranking power, 2 speed capability for power , higher drag, simpler, easier to maintain, no line twist, etc,). I'm unlikely to go after cows, so can probably get away with spinners for most of the fishing I do (Daiwa BG has been my go to reel due to price/performance ratio). It seems that spinners are a better choice for smaller fish and conventional are a clear preference for the large fish. So this brings up the following:

- will conventional cast as far as a good spinner setup (provided similar rod length, weight of the lure, braid #, etc)?

- up to what size of fish would you say spinner works before conventional just becomes a much better choice?

- does having shorter topshot help with preventing over-runs? I have probably 100ft of topshot and it seems to create the birds nests because of how it comes off the reel during the cast (has a bit of a coil memory). It seems that braid comes of the spool better since it has no memory. I can untangle the mono, but if I had an overrun with braid - I'm not sure I would be able to undo it.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Try a baitcaster like Lexa/tranx/Komodo. Can handle all of our local fish and can cast like a dream right out the box with little to no skill. I usually spool with 60lb braid and just use short 5-6' leaders

Reactions: dh515 and kbray001
    Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Braid IMO will be harder to control.I fish short top shots when I really need a kelp cutter rig.Other than that all my outfits have mono longer than I can cast off.Being old I just hate the feel of braid when winding on a fish.There are now MANY SW spin reels that will handle most anything you can catch in our waters up to the 100lb range and in the right hands maybe 200.Tom

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    People say braid comes off the spool better, but most of the time I see the line sticking to the spool due to the water. Mono is generally stiffer and rolls off the spool quicker.

There's no cutoff on size of fish which makes spinners better or conventional better. It's all a matter of preference. If you like fishing with spinning gear, by all means, fish your spinning gear. Fishing is all about confidence. Fish with what you feel puts you in the best position to catch fish.

Upvote 0

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
    I.E.
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    one that floats
    It just takes practice. How you wind the line back on will make a big difference in casting. I like to keep the last 2-3 feet of line close to the center of the spool and keep line tight when winding back on. With the right setup you can cast a jig or lure a country mile with a conventional reel. I like spinners for jerk baits and poppers.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Spinner options are available for "larger" fish but they are fewer in number compared to conventional market; shouldn't let this be a deterrent if you want to go the spinner route.

With the Daiwa BG8000 rated at 33 lbs max drag, 22-24 lbs of drag set from top-of-spool with 3-4 lbs drag from the rod and guides under load, an 80 lb setup is possible. Is an 80 lb setup sufficient as your heaviest-rated reel?

Upvote 0

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    No boat
    http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html

Not sure if it’s in this review but Alan Hawk thinks the 8000 can handle up to 65lb fish.

So no, it’s not an 80# setup expected to catch 200# BFT.

If you want a spinner to even try for 150# plus tuna, the Stella, Daiwa Dogfight, and maybe Penn Torque. On a sport boat, spinners for that size fish isn’t advised even with a premium reel.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html

Not sure if it’s in this review but Alan Hawk thinks the 8000 can handle up to 65lb fish.

So no, it’s not an 80# setup expected to catch 200# BFT.

If you want a spinner to even try for 150# plus tuna, the Stella, Daiwa Dogfight, and maybe Penn Torque. On a sport boat, spinners for that size fish isn’t advised even with a premium reel.

Yes, that is the review. Unfortunately, one can never rely on only 65lb fish or less biting. Once the line is sent out, it's all a gamble if something bigger decides to bite.

Upvote 0

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    No boat
    Yes, that is the review. Unfortunately, one can never rely on only 65lb fish or less biting. Once the line is sent out, it's all a gamble if something bigger decides to bite.

I think you have your answer for the question. I use a spinner for under 50# fish. If bigger models are there, I go 2 speed conventional. A BG is great value but doesn’t have the components made to handle bigger fish. That’s why Stellas exist. But Stellas are $1000 and a Penn Fathom 40N 2 speed can be had for $230. I’d go with that before a BG 8000. Save the 8000 for poppers.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    If you are interested in improving your baitcaster/conventional reel skills at all, I suggest you start with a level wind of some kind.

It takes a specific type of skill to use conventional reels. I've been using baitcasters for 30 years and I'm just now getting used to conventionals.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    I think you have your answer for the question. I use a spinner for under 50# fish. If bigger models are there, I go 2 speed conventional. A BG is great value but doesn’t have the components made to handle bigger fish. That’s why Stellas exist. But Stellas are $1000 and a Penn Fathom 40N 2 speed can be had for $230. I’d go with that before a BG 8000 Sunday.

1. My only BG is the 6500 and it is restricted to 40lb primary duty with 50lb in a pinch.
    2. Fin Nor LT100's designated for 50lb and 60lb
    3. Quantum CSP100PTSe for 80lb
    4. CSP120PTSe for 100lb
    5. modded Daiwa 400H's for 50lb and 60lb
    6. modded Daiwa 600H's for 80lb and 100lb
    If need be, the Makaira spinners can be had for under $900.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

manh3

Almost A Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    san diego
    Name
    manh
    Boat
    nada
    I fought a 120lb tuna with my Stella 10k for over an hour an a half. It was painful and I wished I had the opportunity to rest the rod but with the line underneath it’s not possible. My arms were on fire and I was too stubborn to use a fighting belt.

fishing is easier with a spinner, catching is easier with conventional

Reactions: dh515
    Upvote 0