stiffblade

Jul 21, 2007
Southern California
Name
Ricardo
Boat
None
Hello all,

Passed by a Turners Outdoorsman store and looked at the Graftec graphite spin rods in 8 foot length. I have plenty of components to build my own, just haven't really looked for a spin blank in 20-30 and 30-40 pound ratings. Looking to target schoolie tuna and yellowtail for some beginner fisherman. Anyone have any suggestions for blanks to buy, hopefully in the Rainshadow line.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
My Rainshadow 30# spinners are e-glass, but I think the RX7 line is graphite? Maybe a SW968? I don't know if Batson-Brands is still active but he helped me select a blank a few years back.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Turner’s rods off the rack? Why not seeker or calstar? I’m not impressed with Turner’s and just don’t know about the rain shadow brand.

Upvote 0

stiffblade

Jul 21, 2007
    Southern California
    Name
    Ricardo
    Boat
    None
    Calstar and Seeker would be my first choices, but the wait and prices, I could just buy the Graftec at $159 and be done with it. I want a cheap blank to make several rods. I have all the lower components, just need the guides and a blank.

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    Thrasher Rods RAW 84 or 85 will work for 30-50 lb applications. If you prefer a slightly shorter blank, the 76H. Versatile blank that casts well, handles heavier fish and can be used for slinging metal jigs or poppers if needed. (Inexpensive doesn't need to mean you sacrifice quality, 100% USA made! 🇺🇸) Shipping is flat rate of $35 for multiple blanks in PVC tube. Staying in Rainshadow's line, the all glass SWB series is very affordable. Trade off is weight and width, those blanks use larger tips too. If composite, then the RCLB-79 series will work as mentioned above. Or the SWS-696. I use an RCLB80M myself from time to time. Order Rainshadow blanks from Carol and Mickey at Utmost Enterprises. Good people and their supply outlet only charges actual shipping fees...

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I have a seeker 800-8, I made a Spinning rod out of.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Blanks don't care if you build them guides up or down. If it bends and feels right, build it.

The Rainshadow RCLB line is probably the most versatile for local tuna. The 70 and 80 are similar to the Calstar BTG and Seeker Blacksteel line. The 79 and 810 are thinner diameter and shut off more closer to the handle in a deep bend. Definitely underrated you can fish them right up to their max ratings without worry.

Seaforth down here uses Rainshadows for their fleet rods and many begginers have slayed fish with them. They are also my personal workhorse rods and that's saying a lot seeing how I get all sorts of high end blanks across my workbench.

Upvote 0