Spectra to spectra knot?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by greatbasin, Oct 24, 2017.

1. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Knot Yet
    What knot is the strongest for connecting spectra to spectra? Mainly solid, I guess so no insertions.
    For both removing damaged sections (same diameter) and different diameter line for linking lighter or heavier top pieces. Thanks.

2. Crash

Crash Member

Name:
    Robert Young
    Boat:
    20' Skippy
    Uni to Uni

bkaz likes this.
  3. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Best way is to join with a length of hollow. Insert solid into a 4' length of similar size hollow and lock both ends in place with another nail knot or serves. Time consuming, but the strongest and thinnest end result.

4. offshore6

offshore6 Where's the tuna?

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Boat Ho
    If you are going with uni to uni, I would tie a bimini in each to double the spectra in the knot.

5. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    X2 I've this knot in one my 40 pound rigs for years no problem . 65 lb JB Solid. Now I will say it's a good knot up to 65 lb dont think i'd push it past that.

bkaz likes this.
  6. bkaz

bkaz Pharmfisher

Name:
    BKAZ
    Boat:
    None
    How many turns on a uni to uni?

7. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    Depending on the line weight but I'd start with 5 and 5

bkaz likes this.
  8. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    So how about doubling the insert? And maybe making the loop big enough to pass the reel (end of main line) through it, that way the line goes inside of the hollow line, out and around the hollow line, then back into the hollow. I have no way to test, but it would seem impossible for it to come out then. The question is will it be as strong...

9. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    With all respect to other anglers who use this, I disagree profoundly. Unless you are fishing for barely-legal Calico Bass, there's a very good chance the connection won't hold up. Frankly, a uni-to-uni in spectra is a weak connection. It is an iffy knot connecting mono to fluoro, and in spectra is less than 50%. I have seen it fail several times.

I typically don't add solid to solid anyway. If I get to the point where I don't have enough solid spectra on a reel, I will strip the reel and re-spool it whole. It makes sure that every 3-5 years I get fresh line on the reels, with no potential danger spots.

If I found myself in a situation where I felt I had to make that connection, I would prefer to do what Chris describes below:

Failing that, I would tie a 5-turn surgeon's loop in each end of the spectra and connect the loop-to-loop with a 2-turn cat's paw. That, at least, is an 80-90% connection if you don't cinch the surgeon's loops too quickly.

Of course, this is just my own experience. Your mileage may vary. Even so, I would definitely look at a different option. The only advantage a uni-to-uni has is that it is quick.

10. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Knot Yet
    Just curious, why don’t you just fold over the lines to create double lines? I’ve never really understood what the Bimini knots on the backside of those loops is for? I just double the line I want, trim off the tag end and you still have the double inside the knot where it counts. In fact, with 65 lb. and less that is what I’ve done, to prevent cutting mono or slippage with spectra...am I missing something?

11. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    The knot you tie may look tight. It might even be tight! Even so, there is no "support" for the loose end. You can even see this in a Double San Diego. Tie one to a hook, and pull. The knot holds, yes...it's s good knot! But if you examine the knot afterwards, you will see with your own eyes how one of the loops through the hook has gotten longer than the other.

If both legs of your double come from the same knot (bimini, surgeon's, spider hitch, aussie plait) and you tie the knot with the legs evenly, the knot has twice as much support.

12. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's

I get what you're saying...two open-ended loops encased in a spectra sleeve? I suppose it might work, but you lose the "cuff" movement under tension.

13. Statistico

Statistico Statistition

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    None
    After one splice, buy new solid. One connection ok with Bimini to Bimini. Uni to uni only in an emergency...IMHO

Juanba likes this.
  14. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Just buy hollow spectra.. problem is solved with an inline splice...

Enough said

Jeff

Jay-Hook, Bill W and JohnTFT like this.
  15. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Just splice hollow on top or respool it completely, anything half ass and you’ll end up regretting it.

16. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I trust a uni-uni connection on 50# up to 10#'s of drag. Anything larger, I would splice it with hollow. I watched guy splice hollow and serve without a clamp.

17. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Either a small bit of tac glue or a nail knot would do it for sure, at the insertion point. Still, the line is doubled, and wrapped around the hollow once (could be done several times).

18. diabolicaldog

diabolicaldog Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    bimini- catspaw- bimini is the only connection I would use with full confidence in a tied connection.

19. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Testing, 1-2-3. Why don’t you go ahead and test the back to back Uni? With a drag scale or just by pulling on it, tied off to the fence, drag on the Reel set to full.

On the fly, when I’ve been cut out out of a nasty tangle, with a fish hanging, Uni to Uni was the knot of choice by captain and crew.

I mean, if you’re fishing with 65 lb Solid and a 40 lb topshot, what is your drag setting? Even at 25%, 10 lbs at strike, maybe 15 at full? We’re probably not talking about “fish of a lifetime” here. ;) Now, then, if it’s 100 lb solid with a 100 lb leader of 15 feet and you’re fishing Hurricane Bank, that might change things. But you have to test it, no matter which connection you choose.

20. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Steve, the online boards here are no place for logical thinking..!!! :)