Orange County
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker
[FONT=&quot]Spectra gets some tuna!!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Alright, here we go.......<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The islands have been really slow and so has been the local fishing. Yes rock fishing is great, but with all these reports of tuna, I just had the itch to go. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had 3 special friends in town that have never caught tuna and wanted to try. So we planned it out and they were available to go for a couple of days but a very different schedule. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It was kind of like a 2.5 day, but much of it was travel time, due to us being located in Long Beach. We ended up with 19 yellow fin tuna for the 3 of them, and lost over 30 fish over the 2 days. How did we lose so many fish? Really, the light line, small hooks, and bad weather made it really difficult to land the fish. I cannot remember the last time I used that small of a hook compared to the size of the fish. It was definitely difficult fishing. Now I understand others on this board why they were losing fish as well. We were all ALONE.....not a single boat in sight, sporty or private. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reports over the weekend were dead slow, but I did anticipate that with the weekend crowds. I checked the weather before I left and it looked crappy. Of course NOAA was off just a tad as weather was snotty as hell. Lots of wind up to 25-30 knots all day. It never backed off, not even at night. The only way we could sleep is driving the boat down swell at night barely in gear, just to get a decent nights rest (or lack thereof). <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]not the best weather, but not good by any means, but fishable[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This was Spectra&#8217;s first tuna trip and my first time down there this season. Normally I would have fished Diego many more times, but grant it this is my first year in business, I had to take care of things in long beach. Spectra have never seen a tuna on the deck and I was hoping we could change that. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So we met up Sunday night, as departure was set for 3am on Monday morning. Odd hours but that was just the request from my friends. We grab some dinner at Roscoe&#8217;s Chicken and Waffles in long beach and stuffed ourselves. [/FONT]

Since we didnt know what to expect, I wanted to make sure we were all covered with gear up to 40lbs...with a few bigger set ups , that we didnt even touch

I know some guys are going to laugh, but the coffee grinders did very well for casting the small pieces of chunk. Hey whatever works to get the fish. But these spinning reels performed excellent and was a blast to fish with .

Our primary gear we used were the new Shimano Talica II Speed reels. They are just simply awesome...The small reels did everything we needed them to do. They casts amazing with small sardines. Very smooth smooth reels.

[FONT=&quot]The ride down was ok, not decent by any means. When we got in the area, we searched for meter marks and it was game on. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is what worked for us:<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-20lb Fluoro <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Size 2 hooks<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-chunk bait, Sardines<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Lots and lots of chum, we brought 60 Scoops of bait for us. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-drift fishing<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-always keeping a steady chum with a few chunks here and a few there<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-BE PATIENT<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is what DID NOT work:<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-heavier line <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-my favorite 1/0 ringed mutu owner circle hook<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-TROLLING, like Markus said, just shut down and chum<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-small egg sinkers with the chunk bait<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-and bigger hooks.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By all means, I&#8217;m sure there are many ways to catch these fish but this is just a little summary of what worked for us. I&#8217;m no guru, but just want to share the information. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the first day, we got to the grounds around 2pm ish, in 66.6 water. We found the fish around 4 pm on a meter mark and plucked away 7 tuna. We lost over 15 the first day. Very very frustrating. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Day 2, <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We knew what to do now and were able to almost double our catch with 12 yellow fin tuna. They didn&#8217;t start biting till about 2pm when the weather came up. Very tough if I was in a small boat. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Day 3 <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are almost out of bait, no chance for tuna..... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All in all, excellent fishing, you just have to be patient and put in your time and chum chum chum. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A big success for us was the ability to carry 60 scoops of bait for us 6 total guys (crew included). This boat was designed for tuna fishing and it proved itself. Also, the big refrigerated fish hold got to see tuna for the first time as well. All filets and fish came out perfect, nice and chilled. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The boat has plenty of room, has a huge bait capacity and very comfortable. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Spectra is a very fishy boat.......the fish seem to like us! :) If you would like to book a private charter with us, feel free to give me a call at <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]562-266-6228[/FONT]

And Yes, I know I look like a dork with the camera mount on my hat, but I have some really good footage that I will update to my website later.

Notice the boat almost side ways with the swell.....bad weather.

tiny size 2 hooks

Next day..

Cant tell, but the refrigeration is on and its pretty cold in the hold....doesnt freeze it but nice and cold....

big one..... yellowfin

Stomach Contents:

over 30 chunks we counted and a full sardine in one tuna...

plenty of fresh tuna

Day 3.....we were low on bait.....saw some tuna to boil, but not enough to get them going....

random food pics

Spectra is a great choice for private groups. Lots of space!

Thanks for reading.....good luck out there.

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
Outstanding thread Billy!

Congrats!!!!!

Hurricane

My Best Catch Ever
Aug 26, 2006
Ramona, Ca
Name
Deano
Boat
2001 2600 Striper
That is a sweet report. Any location to where you were alone? Heading out tonight.

Congrats!

Blackfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
Outstanding report. Very nice grade of Tuna......Thanks

The tuna full of chunks is awesome!!! That right there is proof of how to catch these finicky fish.

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Great report, great boat.

So where did ya fish?

That would be $2100.00 in bait down here, wow.

Paul Ward

Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
the photos of the chunk bait in the tuna proves that style of fishing works but takes patience.The fish eats 20 chunks without a hook in it then it get comfy and takes your matching but hooked bait.

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat
18' starcraft "big knockers"
holly mother of god, glad to see you going out for tuna! that is a pig starry.

where did you get the flip hat mount?

GETSUM

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 22, 2007
Name
ERIC G.
Boat
22' ROBALO CC "ON ONE"
WAY TO GO BILLY.

S

South Bend

Now that's a report!!! Great job Billy. I don't usually do charters, but if you serve those ribs, I'm in!!!:D:D:D

PaDDy Killer'

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
Great report Billy! Nice job getting some tuna on the boat.

ambush1

Swagger Lures,
Jul 24, 2006
lakewood
Name
brett bumz
Boat
23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
good to see the local boys hittnig up off shore

seasonsfishing

Captain 100 Ton MNC
Jan 15, 2007
Squid Grounds
Name
Captain Jamie Thinnes
Boat
Parker 3420 XLD
I saw you in the gyros steaming down with the black smoke out of the stack and knew it was you guys on a bad weather day on Monday when we were fishing the Catalina Classic.

Nice work Billy and glad to see you get the first tuna on the boat, more to come....

Fishingguy

Apr 15, 2007
Orange County
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker
That is a sweet report. Any location to where you were alone? Heading out tonight.

Congrats!
we were working the 43 area primarily on the outskirts of it.

Great report, great boat.

So where did ya fish?

That would be $2100.00 in bait down here, wow.
43 area quoted above.....yes lots of bait....we needed it

holly mother of god, glad to see you going out for tuna!

where did you get the flip hat mount?

I made it....As much as I like taking pictures and video........its so hard not to put down the camera and wet a line......and know you WILL hook up....

i still havent released any of the white seabass wide open videos....

so I figure, I made that hat so i can record and fish.......worked out decent....Im going to mount cameras on the boat now...

Nice job guys!! How much did the 'el grande' go? Looks like a great time, way to make it happen.
We didnt scale him out, I would guess a conservative...43 pounds...roughly....maybe more, maybe less.......

H

hawgboy

great job and trip. Very interesting on the chunk, something that has been overlooked for years on the west coast. Did you photoshop the white caps, 25-35 knots and not a one in the pics ? PS great looking ride also