yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat Name
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Quick question; Does anyone out there know the breaking strength of seaguar 100lb thread lock...Paul
ifish42na ,,,,is right on 👍
The information you seek is contained in the link below.

Hope this helps,
Walt

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat Name
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
How does JB 80# Hollow test at

117.8 105.4 and 89.25?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat Name
    Red Rooster

117.8 105.4 and 89.25?
    Interesting… JB does not make the spectra or weave the braid. Also the testing can vary from each tester or machine. The diameter is different. Still valuable info at least for me.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat Name
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp

117.8 105.4 and 89.25?
    Great question 👍
    The basic answer is given by af dreamer above. Valuable information that most are not aware of.

To be more specific it boils down to manufacturing inconsistencies in the extrusion process. It is very difficult to keep material formula ratios and extrusion diameter of lines, be it plastic or spectra, to the exacting standards required for consistent product testing results. What is being witnessed here is a prime example of that issue. That is why such extreme over test is observed in lines of a given pound test. They need that over test to compensate for the low end of the of the breaking points. But this is not always successful as witnessed buy reports on BD of guys having 60lb breaking at 20 lbs. Am willing to speculate that most of us have at one time have had line break at very low stress for some unknown reason. The data below shows a prime example of production inconsistencies. The 117.80 and the 105.40 are fairly consistent, the wt. per ft. and the diameters are comparable. The aprox. 11% difference in Actual lb Test is close enough. But the 89.25 Break strength is a disaster, the Wt. per ft. is greater and the diameter is larger which would indicate a higher Actual lb test not lower lb test. But the line still meets the labeled 80 lb test requirements.
    Over test to the rescue. With the current trend for mfgs. of reducing line diameters for the same lb. test ,,,can only think that the frequency of this issue will only increase.
    Walt

# test...... Actual # test.........Wt. per ft. ....................Actual diameter
    80117.80 lb58.2 mg0.0210 in
    80105.40 lb58.2 mg0.0210 in

8089.25 lb60.05 mg
    0.0214 in

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

bigreddog

Get off of my lawn
    Jul 18, 2005
    San Diego Expat
    Name
    Cliff
    Boat Name
    I always go back to the Royal Star
    Who compiled the information in the chart? To whoever did it, Thank you! It is valuable information and a good starting point.

However, the main thing I learned when Paulus was doing his testing was that braid manufacturers are not consistent. Diameters, weaves, and breaking strength change significantly. In an industry without standards, it is difficult to trust numbers from batch to batch.

Last fall I got 5 samples of Izor 65 solid from 2 long range boats and 3 tackle shops and compared them to my bulk spool from a few years ago. I found 3 different weaves and diameters. I have used bulk Izor for more than a decade but that was disconcerting.

I have gotten into the habit of testing braid before I buy it, and when I buy, I get the biggest spool. The most important thing to me is knowing what my line will do and avoiding big surprises.

After being surprised in the past by Tuffline, JB, and the Izor from last year I sampled Power Pro and found it better than I remembered. I bought bulk spools that will last me for a very long time. I purchased 50, 65, and 80 and tested all of them. All had very consistent breaking strengths of +/- 10% over the stated line rating. It is thin compared to other braids in the same line classes and has the texture that I like for tying FG knots.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I’m partial to PowerPro hollow even though I don’t use it as what it was maid to do.I just tie top shot to it with the RP.I like the way it lays and feels better than conventional braid.JMHO,Tom

Upvote 0