Spectra Lifespan?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Creed, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I

I also live in Arizona where our humidity averages about 10% and can be as low as 4%…..I do rinse off my reels and line with fresh water and spray them with corrosion -X or the Get Some line of reel lubes.

scotth likes this.
  2. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Borrowed a reel from a friend for this purpose. Why did I ever sell my 6/0? ;)

Removing and reloading topshot and 80 lb spectra from my two yoyo reels was a piece of cake. Penn 50 had a splice in just the right spot. Boy, does that hold some line! Then, I pulled all the 100 lb off my Avet 30W. That holds a shitload of 100 lb. Glad I did it as the spool arbor was a mess! Vendor who spooled it up used a lot of Flex Wrap on the arbor, what a sticky, discolored mess! I cleaned it up with Kerosene and then with glass cleaner to remove the Kerosene. Also found a shitty splice that I cut out and did over. Feeling good about this, but hard to imagine getting into a fish that would run so far as to spool it.

On all four of the reels, I found tiny spots beginning to form. All good now, cleaned up with Corrosion-X and protected with the Boeshield. Exposed the need for maintenance on all the roller guides, too.

So, now I've had quite a workout and am ready for Yellowtail! Feeling good, feeling strong.

3. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I can't believe that those of you that buy used reels with spectra on them do not strip off all the line to inspect the condition of the spectra, splices or for under wraps and then you can coat the spool with the anti corrosion material of choice.…… it would suck to discover a under wrap 300 yards into a long run…..zing pow!!!!

No Cal Lou and NaplesJohn like this.
  4. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    That's if it didn't pull the whole damn outfit right out of your hands.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  5. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    X2, but maybe because I'm lazy. I've only gotten to see my spool a few times, and by dumb luck didn't lose any of those fish. I admire guys that put so much care and effort into their line------on the other hand some of it might also be over-thinking a problem that doesn't exist. If it really is a problem, then I'll be the loser (you too Fishy!).

sk8ingtuna and Fishybuzz like this.
  6. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    That's funny. The biggest mess I found was with a reel I purchased new.

I have one reel remaining, a new to me ATD12 with 30 gears. Filled with all new 100 lb hollow but I want to treat the spool. Make sure everything's just right. Dot the eyes, cross the tees. ;)

7. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    With the Swifty. You have to take that line and transfer it to a big spool. I use the biggest one I can get, I got some 2500 yard used spectra spools, it's about 10 inches wide. I transfer the line from Swifty to the spool with a bit of tension while making it as light and even layer of spectra as possible. Then wind the line from the spool to the reel using a line winder.

Also a great way to wash your spectra is to put into the toilet tank. The Swifty spool is the right size and if you leave it in there for a few weeks, it'll get lots of regular washing. ;)

8. migelito

migelito Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Indy
    The toilet tank trick works great, but make sure you weight it down or know that its not going to float around. You don't want to get home and find your toilets been running all day.

9. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I spool up all my own spectra…I don't trust tackle shop employees or mail order folks to spool up my reels…you did mention a couple of other spectra issues.

10. Creed

Creed Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Everglades 275
    Fishybuzz, what line winder do you use?

11. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I use a HD-140…..

NachoOne likes this.
  12. Sactotuna

Sactotuna Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    That's EXACTLY what Jerry Brown said to me when I fished with him.
    I guess great minds DO think alike.

13. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    I have never flipped or washed my spectra.
    I do rinse them very well after each trip with a SOFT spray of water.
    My theory is that if you spray them too hard, you can drive the salt deeper.
    I might pull the spectra off my favorite reel, and check out the spool, but i havent seen any corrosion yet.

14. titan05

titan05 Pelagic Terminator

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae
    Retired guys have WAY to much time on their hands

15. lowelld

lowelld Member

Name:
    lowell
    Boat:
    bath tub
    Why not just listen to guys like Fishy, Sactotuna & Jerry Brown? No use making mountains out of molehills. Spend your time in another phase of this great pastime.

Nuclieye and NaplesJohn like this.
  16. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none
    The only time I take my spectra off for any reason is if I was in tangles or the line rubbed against the boat. I tend to need to strip the line from my small reels more than my large ones

17. joelocalguy

joelocalguy Newbie

Name:
    joe johnson
    Boat:
    none
    Beware of the upper decker!

18. garety

garety wishin i was fishin

Name:
    garet
    Boat:
    t15
    Just my 2 cents but you can wear spectra out.

I had some 65Lb power pro that after 5 years, was breaking at 35 lbs on my spring scale.

I had fished this ALOT probably 100ish days fishing lots of rock fish in the kelp/rocks, little bit of YT, schoolie tunas, salmon ect. I had been pretty good about rinsing it down with fresh water after using it.

My initially thoughts were I had worn down the first few feet, from abrasive things, rocks sand, ect, but 25 yards in it was still breaking at under 40 lbs. Comparing the line to what was left on the 1500 yard spool the color looked very weathered.

SO you might trying giving old line a pull before deciding to take it on a trip.

sk8ingtuna likes this.
  19. Seadog

Seadog Newbie

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    too much money!
    X2 Exactly. The "tedious" chore of removing spectra, inspecting and cleaning the reels and spectra, then re-spooling are all part of the ritual that I love. I don't have a ton of free time, but I do find time to do this while enjoying some music and downtime from the rat race out in the garage. I am also pretty anal about maintaining my reels, and removing the salt infusion from the spectra seems like a no brainer for anti-corrosion purposes.

20. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Hey! Don't you melt purified butter into the finest French champagne and run the spectra through that from one reel to another? Please don't give up your position of number 1 cork sniffer here!

eric harner likes this.