Spectra for surface iron

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by joshc1024, Feb 10, 2018.

1. joshc1024

joshc1024 Member

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    none
    Those of you that switched from mono to braid. Have you notice any advantages braid has over mono? Does it make the jig swim better? Better casting distance?

2. davidk

davidk Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Parker 18
    One thing I will say, since a lot of people have referred to catching YT is this: Straight spectra with a glass rod or something with a bit more glass than graphite is a little more comfortable, for me. Fishing a heavy graphite rod with spectra and you'll feel each tail beat a little more since there's no stretch. On larger YT, I notice a difference.

3. soulwinner

soulwinner jeremiah 9:23,24

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    cobra
    im all spectra every reel except I did want 1 old school set up so I rigged a talica 12-2 with 100yds of 50lb xxx just for old times sake,

its a nice diversion from the spectra which you do need abit more diligence to retrieve your line on smoothly not too much back & forth with the thumb.

I can say for sure I cast further with spectra, the fight is more violent, feel every headshake, mono has to be replaced more often and requires stretching to get out memory.

a spectra backlash requires patience but its very rare if ever
    to not be able to pick it apart, but ive seen many mono backlashes that needed major scissor work

the 1st time I tried spectra years ago in a kayak in Lajolla I launched the jig half way out & backlashed & almost ripped the rod out of my hand because of no stretch. I had to learn the nuances.

as others have mentioned keep your line moist regardless of mono or spectra
    now when I pack for a trip a spray bottle is just as important as dikes, and good for general cleaning reels etc

20180212_170758_resized.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    SouthBayKiller likes this.
  4. pukahd

pukahd Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    I came from the old school with the Penns and full mono. Gotta take advantage of new technology. Changed I now fish the US90 and US100 pared with Tranx500's ones a PG on the 10' and HG on the 9'. 6 foot top shot of 50lb connected to 80lb Maxcuatro flouro via Pena knot. I can get much more distance with my new set up. I use to fish T100'-10 and full 10' Super Seeker Ulua but with the new rods its much more lighter and comfortable to throw the iron all day.

My 2 cents.

5. finsane

finsane Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    None
    I've got enough things in my life that cause me aggravation, braid backlashes are just one more thing I choose to avoid. 40lb mono has served me well for years, I have no compelling need to make that switch.

joshc1024 and terryc. like this.
  6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    OK why not just throw your surface iron with a spinner....short top shot of mono to spectra ...no backlashes, you can cast into a heavy headwind ......I realize this is blasphemy to all the old school Newell Harnel Trueline people but it sure make life simpler.....:jig::cool:

and the fish certainly don't know what type of outfit you used...lol

joshc1024 and MAG0121 like this.
  7. Cubeye

Cubeye Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Yes, cross over the the dark side. Use a spinner. They work well..........until you hook a fish.

pukahd likes this.
  8. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Not a problem, just lay it on the rail and put it in low gear. o_O

More seriously, I had a UC CE800 Wahoo wrapped as a spinner specifically for surface iron. You can pull pretty hard on 50# line, and lift and pump or tuck the rod under your arm and walk back from the rail and then wind while walking back towards the rail. I wouldn't want to hook a big tuna on it and have yet to fight a toad yellowtail, but so far it hasn't been a problem.

Besides the advantages that Fishy notes, an 8' rod is also easier to store and transport than a 9-10" rod.

9. Hkrob

Hkrob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Sold it
    Anyone tie braid to the iron with no mono leader?

10. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    How do you protect your thumb when casting spectra?

11. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    fullsizeoutput_a9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_b7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_b7.jpeg
    Here are a couple of surface iron yellows on spinners the first was 42.5# the second 41#....no real problem landing either one.....sorry about the double photos

ironmike, stuman and DMcD like this.
  12. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Flex Wrap. Good to go

13. diseasedscrotum

diseasedscrotum Newbie

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    water wings
    Here are a couple of surface iron yellows on spinners the first was 42.5# the second 41#....no real problem landing either one.....sorry about the double photos

Fishybuzz... what rod do you pair with your spinning reel?? I'm considering going over to the "Dark Side" but haven't found the right combo?? If you could, I'd ask for your opinion on a high end, medium end and low end model rod to solve my dilemma. I'd also ask for line class wt. and length, if possible. Thanks in advance. Doug.

14. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I use a Stella 8000 on a 8' UC Tilefish (50#) for a high end outfit I also use a Stella 10000 with a 8' Black Hole Cape Cod Special (50#-60#) popping rod for surface poppers and jerk baits....I fish a 3 foot 50#-60# FC leader tied with a FG knot to 65# solid spectra...

a mid range reel would be a Cabo 80 or a Saragosa 8000 on a Calstar 800MH

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    joshc1024 likes this.
  15. diseasedscrotum

diseasedscrotum Newbie

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    water wings
    Thank you David for this information. It will make my decision less daunting!!

16. Mark Riv

Mark Riv Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Minnow
    Yea. I run straight braid (Izor green). Never saw the need for a 3-4’ mono leader. Double S.D. Knot

17. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Don't do it Doug

Fishybuzz likes this.
  18. ironmike

ironmike ironmike

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    nope, need to go with you
    I'm with you there, backing and MONO...50 yrs of using Mono, I wouldn't know how to react with straight spectra, or I snap my fav jig off, forgetting I was casting spectra.:-) >:( Old dogs still walk the same!! I did use 36lb dacron for jigs in the '60's, but I've forgotten all that technique.8-)

maurice escobedo likes this.
  19. ironmike

ironmike ironmike

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    nope, need to go with you
    Good point there, the new spinning reels are amazing....If I changed,
    I would try it with the spinners.

20. maurice escobedo

maurice escobedo Counselor

Name:
    Esteban
    Boat:
    24' Wellcraft air slot
    I’m with you. Fished mono my whole life. The only benefit I’ve gatherd so far is line capacity so far. After all, either way you’re putting some sort of mono on the spectra or a fluorocarbon leader. One or the other.

21. MAG0121

MAG0121 Newbie

Name:
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Nah
    There is no right or wrong, only what works for you. Different reel and rod combos, different wind and water conditions, different jigs (surface iron, colt snipers, stick baits), different boats and crowds all affect my decisions.

This year I added one of the new Black Hole West Coast Yellowtail Specials to my jigstick lineup. This is a 10'2" medium fast taper spinning rod specifically designed to satisfy the Ulua style plugger (doubles as a surf caster). Got to say, from poppers to surface iron, it's a damned fun (and effective) way to go.

https://jignpop.com/black-hole-10-yellowtail-special-1002-surf-rod-west-coast-style/

joshc1024, Bob Sands and Fishybuzz like this.