Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys I do most of my connections with spectra to mono or floro with the Alberto knot with great success. But I'm mainly working with 40-65lb spectra and 20-40lb mono I noticed that it doesn't work very well with heavier lines. Can you guys give me some suggestions on knots to learn that work well with heavier lines up to 80-100 lb mono that are not too difficult.

Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
I just saw the FG knot. Does anyone else have an experience with it? I am looking forward to giving it a try.

Upvote 0

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I have used the FG Knot for about 2-3 years and would not consider using anything else. It runs through the guides really well and has the top strength of any braid to mono connection. I found a video of a real easy way to tie it on Facebook. PM me if you would like the link.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
The FG knot is great. One tip: MAKE SURE IT'S TIGHT. If you don't tie it under pressure and keep it very tight, it has the chance of slipping.

Upvote 0

LEGENDS

Yogi Bear
May 7, 2011
Lakeside
Name
Sam
Boat
None
Agreed on the FG knot. A lot of the GT popping guys use this knot. This is the knot I'm going to use from here on out.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
fg knot...any knot that requires half hitches to lock it down will slip over time...I've never had a failure with a bob sands knot including tying them daily for customers...it clicks a little on the way in, where you can see it coming and adjust, but goes through the guides so well on the cast that you can use a top shot length that you will repeatedly cast through the guides with bait and it won't hang up...give it a try...tough to cinch but like any knot once you know it its easy

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Here is an excellent video on how to tie the FG knot. The method shown is by far the best way to tie this knot. It reduces slippage to almost zero. And it becomes zero once you tighten the knot down before cutting the tag ends. Make sure you use at least 22 wraps. Don't get lazy here, this is important. Just pull on it really hard when cinching it down and it becomes bullet proof.

http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fg-knot/?inf_contact_key=27b12d94dd7c91a359b8394733fd8debc7f1980c9f8773e141567527347a3b11

The guy is a little winded so please be patient, it will be worth your time.

Walt

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
"almost"....really that's good enough for ya? sorry but that knot will slip the bhalf hitches and unravel over time...notice the "test results aren't including several well known knots used out here in san diego...no tony pena no bobs sands no rp knot

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shooter

Almost A Member
Apr 28, 2003
Goleta, Ca
Visit site
I think I'll be sticking with the Tony Pena Knot. As your mono stretches smaller the spectra portion of the knot will tighten down on it. I like that especially after the fight as been on for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or more. Good fishing.

Upvote 0

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
What are the collective thoughts on the improved albright. I have used it on everything from the real light stuff, up through 100 JB to 80 top shots, with no failure. Easy to tie, easy to tighten, and pretty stealthy. Biggest fish was 115 yft on 65 JB to 50 lb mono top shot.

Upvote 0