Specific Shad???

Master Chief

Aug 18, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Name
Chad Lukehart
Boat
Alumacraft Navigator Sport 185, ETEC 150, Duckworth Offshore 26
My wife and I are going to head down to Eastern Oregon for Memorial weekend and will be traveling right past McNary Dam. I am thinking of throwing a rod in and making a quick stop on the Washington side to see if the shad are that far up at that time. Will have to fish from the shore and would like to spend an hour or so and catch 10-12 shad to take down to my Dad in Meridian so he has some sturgeon baits in the freezer for the summer. Any helpful tips would be appreciated from someone who has fished in that general area for shad. I know that will be right at the beginning of the shad run that far up river, but only having about an hour to fish them as it is already gonna be pretty late when we make our final destination, would it be a waste of time? If it all works out, we may do the same thing on our way home to get some good bait for up here to throw in the freezer.

Fowlplay

May 20, 2009
Longview, WA
Name
Mitchell
Boat
Parker 2520 XLD"Bucket List"/20ft super vee
Might be a little early up there if you can swing by bonneville you might have a chance. The go to is a Shad dart on a 2ft leader to some lead to let you cast a ways out. Once you find the lane they are running you can do pretty well. I usually don’t go up there until the counts are around 80k.

Reactions: Master Chief
Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
I second the 'You're a little early'.. We slayed them below Bonneville June 14th last year. But why not give it a shot? small jigs, brass hooks with red beads above, darts, brass and green or red dick nights.. All with a dropper heavy enough to hold bottom. Below Bonneville that's usually 4-5 oz.

Shad makes excellent halibut / crab bait and is a hoot to catch!

Reactions: Odin7

Master Chief

Aug 18, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Name
Chad Lukehart
Boat
Alumacraft Navigator Sport 185, ETEC 150, Duckworth Offshore 26
I second the 'You're a little early'.. We slayed them below Bonneville June 14th last year. But why not give it a shot? small jigs, brass hooks with red beads above, darts, brass and green or red dick nights.. All with a dropper heavy enough to hold bottom. Below Bonneville that's usually 4-5 oz.

Shad makes excellent halibut / crab bait and is a hoot to catch!
Yeah, think I may be a little early, but still almost 2 weeks away. Saw they are goi;g over Bonneville at 1500-2000 per day right now, but only 51 at Mcnary so far.

Upvote 0