samhigh

Living the Dream
Apr 11, 2018
San Diego
Name
Sam
Boat
$200 Kayak from Craigslist
Entered the water at 7:30 am, high tide. Almost no wind and barely any swell. I was targeting the structure/reef just south of Fletcher Cove, in about 8 feet of water, maybe 100 yards off the sand.

Saw plenty of small fish, but nothing that appeared to be keeper size. I finally saw a fish worth shooting, not sure exact species, silver with a vertical bar behind the gills, but I missed the shot... from like 12 inches away. Spearfishing is hard!

It would be awesome to connect with some fellow spearos and learn more tips / techniques. Watching youtube videos, it seems like you just dive down 90 feet to the structure, leisurely shoot a fish from 20 feet away right through the head, then gracefully ascend to the surface. Hasn't come that easy yet.

I've got a kayak, and/or would gladly pay for gas / help out on a boat. 8-)

Long Beach Bob

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Son, go over to Spearboard.com/California and try to hook up with some of the San Diego free divers...have them look over your gear...proper rigging is part of the equasion..ex....your weight belt should be neutral at whatever depth you are comfortable cruising at....makes a big difference on quiet hunting vs. struggling to stay at the correct level and spooking all the fish with too much movement...
….most of my big gamefish were taken at 35' or less...find the bait and you will find the fish....:)

samhigh

Living the Dream
Apr 11, 2018
San Diego
Name
Sam
Boat
$200 Kayak from Craigslist
Son, go over to Spearboard.com/California and try to hook up with some of the San Diego free divers...have them look over your gear...proper rigging is part of the equasion..ex....your weight belt should be neutral at whatever depth you are comfortable cruising at....makes a big difference on quiet hunting vs. struggling to stay at the correct level and spooking all the fish with too much movement...
….most of my big gamefish were taken at 35' or less...find the bait and you will find the fish....:)
This is solid advice, thank you.

_dayday

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 5, 2017
San Diego
Name
Dylan
Boat
17ft CC "Gringo Mandingo"
Sounds like you missed a sargo.
You wont get too much help here on BD about spearing. Head over to spearboard but its pretty dead these days. Theres still a ton of good information and knowledge on there though. Bob is loaded with info! Ive talked with him a few times on Spearboard.

Put in the time and do it with a buddy. Dont dive alone, wait until you can make out the gill plates before pulling the trigger. The more relaxed you are underwater the better diver you will be however it takes time to get used to it. Feel free to shoot me a message if you want, all of the fish in my posts are usually from spearing.

Reactions: samhigh

Megaladon805

Aug 14, 2018
U.S.A
Name
JOE MAMA
Boat
Mako
Entered the water at 7:30 am, high tide. Almost no wind and barely any swell. I was targeting the structure/reef just south of Fletcher Cove, in about 8 feet of water, maybe 100 yards off the sand.

Saw plenty of small fish, but nothing that appeared to be keeper size. I finally saw a fish worth shooting, not sure exact species, silver with a vertical bar behind the gills, but I missed the shot... from like 12 inches away. Spearfishing is hard!

It would be awesome to connect with some fellow spearos and learn more tips / techniques. Watching youtube videos, it seems like you just dive down 90 feet to the structure, leisurely shoot a fish from 20 feet away right through the head, then gracefully ascend to the surface. Hasn't come that easy yet.

I've got a kayak, and/or would gladly pay for gas / help out on a boat. 8-)

Megaladon805

Aug 14, 2018
U.S.A
Name
JOE MAMA
Boat
Mako
Yeah it can be hard. If you are game!!! I got some spots that are kelp forest and do have more than legal wsb shot two about two weeks back.

Last edited: