Spawning Sand Bass

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by stuman, Jul 1, 2018.

1. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    I did go out when they were around. I knew guys who were catching them off prince of wales island alaska one year. And yet the only thing they apparently ate was sand bass. I don't fear the boogie squid. Its just easier to blame them.

2. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    when they were around, we did a Rock Trip Out Of Ensenada
    we could Not Get Away From Them, of threw them
    and what Sucked Was Hooking One On A Rock Gagnon At 350 Feet ,

3. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    That does suck, but they did not decimate the rockfish in those areas. So why would they decimate literally millions of sand bass?

4. Croaker.Stroker

Croaker.Stroker Old White Guy

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
    I hope nobody is eating them in our area.

The term “Turd Rollers” is putting it lightly.

“In the so-called red zone that reaches from Santa Monica to Seal Beach, four fish besides the white croaker — barracuda, topsmelt, black croaker and barred sand bass — are now considered so contaminated with the long-banned pesticide DDT, PCBs and mercury that they too are unsafe to eat. Scientists say the expanded list isn't a sign that pollution has worsened, but rather an indication that they better understand the extent of the contamination.”

5. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    You want an animal to blame, it's either going to be humans, or sea lions. Blaming the squid is strange to me, because while there is a correlation between the big squid and the sand bass drop off, the bigger correlation there is between ocean temperature and both. You only see the big squid during cold water years, and those years are known to be a disaster for bass.

The cold water years probably decimated the bass spawn - I think there was a study from fish and game about it, and without much of a surviving generation, the remaining adults couldn't handle the pressure and collapsed because there was no one to replace them. That's how this usually works. Human pressure finishes what nature starts. Just because a species can handle a high amount of pressure when the condition is right, doesn't indicate it can handle the same amount of pressure when the condition is wrong. That's why management needs to become more intelligent and adaptive.

That said, I wonder how much of the old days were due to low sea lion populations. Those guys eat close to 40 pounds of fish a day. With 300,000 of them around, do the math and you'll find their take is much more significant than the sport boat fleet. I don't know what else changed in California over the years, but there's been a definite drop off in fish populations correlated with the rise in sea lion populations.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Omarkayak likes this.
  6. Brass_Slacks

Brass_Slacks Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Public
    Probably more to do with water temps than anything.
    Party boats / private boat pressure probably didn’t help.
    Humboldts probably did some damage too.

No single boogie man to point a finger at and blame.

makairaa likes this.
  7. Brass_Slacks

Brass_Slacks Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Public
    I’d love to see a sand bass gps tagging study.

Watch it turn out they all go out to 1500ft and eat up worms all winter.

makairaa likes this.
  8. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Found the article:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=90973

This was a counter argument released by fish and game in reaction to that other article that said sport and private boats were responsible for the bass collapse.

A few comments from the article seem to verify what people are saying here, in terms of climate being responsible:

Bass collapse was evident all across southern California, not just in areas with heavy pressure.

Bass survival depends on warm water.

All fish species declined between 2004 and 2012, as much as over 40%, including species not targeted by humans. Sea lions?

9. Dave Hansen

Dave Hansen Yoursaltwaterguide.com Advertiser

Name:
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat:
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    CYCLES....

makairaa, Haly0, BluefinCurly and 3 others like this.
  10. scarpoochie

scarpoochie Newbie

Name:
    Horseshit
    Boat:
    21FT GLASSPAR
    Catching all those spawning sculpin is not helping they population any either

11. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    What do those things eat? Every time I caught some they were yaking up black crap. I always released them, just couldn’t get past that shit
    Like most things in the ocean there’s natural boom and bust cycles. Add human impact, more sea lions squid and everything else in the mix and good bye sandbass. Once conditions return favoring sandbass survival they’ll be back. Those things are spread out from Santa Barbara down the coast off Baja. Pounding a few specific areas wouldn’t explain it unless they somehow migrate back to the same area they were born which could be why there not at HB. No telling really, hard to believe they’ll go extinct

12. Dave Hansen

Dave Hansen Yoursaltwaterguide.com Advertiser

Name:
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat:
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    1954 ,55, 56,57there where no sandbass in So cal...So please stop DONT help them close the fishery ....They took the bass from 10 to 5..The size from 12 to 14 please stop...lets see if you guys can just relax....Enough is enough...You want them to close everything?
    JUST CALM DOWN...Its going to be OK....Its Cycles.......Put all your effort into the Real problem...SEALIONS.....

matta57, skrilla, calicoi and 4 others like this.
  13. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

14. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    the sand bass are with the albacore...……..

15. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Hey, the Albies will be back this year !!!!

16. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Unlike Sand Bass there is a closure on Sculpin during part of their spawn.

17. scarpoochie

scarpoochie Newbie

Name:
    Horseshit
    Boat:
    21FT GLASSPAR
    I’ve never seen a spawning sculpin in November/ December. They spawn rite now

18. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Blaming Humbolt for the decline in the Sand Bass cracks me up. Sure they ate some but my bet is that fishing the spawn hard (and that is what we fished - not a migration) during a natural downturn due to conditions is what caused the population decline. There is no scientist that will say that heavy fishing pressure on a spawning aggregation of fish is a good idea. As for Huntington flats rec anglers were pulling 10,000 fish or more out every day for weeks at a time. That kind of pressure would certainly put a dent in the next generation of SB.

As science with the sardine has shown us heavy fishing pressure during a natural population decline will drive a deeper decline and slow/delay the natural uptick in the population cycle.

We don't control the squid, sea lions or water temps. Law or no law if recs would not pound the spawning aggregations there would be more fish to catch.

plj46 likes this.
  19. UnBelievable

UnBelievable F.V. UNBELIEVABLE

Name:
    Norm Campbell
    Boat:
    UnBelievable
    Well as a founding San Diego Board member of the CCA, we tried unsuccessfully to move the ground fish closure to the spawning season. January February closures makes little sense. During the spawn does make sense. If only I could get everyone here to join and use the good of the numbers to have the weight for the cause! Most would rather just sit at their keyboard and complain. Most don’t realize how close we just came to loosing sardines as a bait again. We as the CCA BOARD have even offered to pay you to join at the annual Dana Landing sign up. It’s beyond comprehension why we are the only group fighting to keep what we currently have as Fishermans rights and very few want to help for only 35.00 a year to be a member. Quite frankly about ready to give up. You then will see how long it takes for the enviro’s to eliminate sportfishing as we know it. Just sit there a on the couch or lazy boy and complain away...... the Seiners.....oh my 1 bluefin per year.....and next year none. You think that will never happen because there is too much money in sportfishing. There is way more for the other side against what you call fishing! So yes just sit there and have another Twinkie. I apologize for my rant in advance. Just so hard to keep up the fight with so many on the side just eating Twinkie’s.

spize909, sickcat and Saba Slayer like this.
  20. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    I respectfully disagree .The majority of the biomass were taken before they changed the regs .It was 10 fish 12" or bigger. It is currently 5 fish 14" or bigger .