Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
Finally the F&G moved the rockcod fishing area further west with the establishment of legal fishing within the 100 fathom line. We decided to go to the southernly most 100 F WP out of San Diego Bay and see what's there. The conditions were ominous as we departed the bay, strong wind, steep wind chop and swells from opposing angles. But doable in my Cabo and off we went at 15-17 mph. We get there and look around for dropoffs and areas I think fish might hangout. After an hour managed only a few small fish but the winds and seas were building from the west. I blew the weather report AGAIN. Nice in the bay but bad outside.

At 1030 I finally find the fish. I spot-locked over them at 465'. The seas were getting worse so we left them biting to fish this spot on another day. I love fishing Mondays cuz the trashman comes Tuesday thus do not have to freeze the guts until the next trash day. 19 assorted rockfish for 3. 3 lbs the biggest. Could not have fished safely without the trolling motor in "spot lock" keeping the bow towards the wind, swell and whitecaps. Controlled at the helm. Plus even in a 20 mph wind your line was also almost straight up with very little scope.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Da Mad Anglah

Old fut who still misses home on da islands
Oct 21, 2020
Idaho (and sometimes Honolulu)
Name
Chris
Boat
'93 18' Weldcraft "Rod Rage"
Absolutely love my spot lock! Of course, I'm not fishin' offshore, but a recent trip to Clearwater river kept us on the fish with the river flowing. Best damned thing I ever bought for my boat so far!!!
Looking forward to seeing how that area pans out for you on a less nautical day.
Chris

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
One thing you might do is gut em overboard--and/or use some of em for you own Bait bucket. Nice looking fish by the way

Upvote 0