matta57

hack
May 30, 2010
goleta
Name
matt
Boat
none
I have gone on one overnight trip out of Cisco's in Oxnard on the Pacific Islander and enjoyed myself. good fishing and good crew. Problem is I live in San Diego so the drive to and from Oxnard, especially later in the evening on the way home is just long enough and I"m just tired enough to make it a tad unappealing.

none of the overnights locally target rockfish as they're all hunting Yellowtail. Personally, I enjoy catching rockfish and would rather spend the day catching multiple fish that I like eating rather than hoping to catch one YT. not that the YT aren't good to eat or anything but I enjoy catching the bottom dwellers just as much and they're a bit more of a guaranteed catch.

at any rate, I'm looking for recommendations for closer boats from personal experiences other members have had.

I see that Newport landing and Davey's locker each run overnight boats (I can't tell but they seem to cross promote one another so maybe they're both related business-wise?) Dana sportfishing also seems to run some as well.

part of my problem is that the websites for Newport, Davey's locker and Dana Wharf kinda suck. they aren't too clear on what dates trips are even available, what the costs, are, and whether a trip is sold out or not. But, I'm willing to try based on other user experiences.

So, any recommendations? any other landings that I missed that are worth trying?

thanks

Michael
I cant imagine living in San Diego and wanting to drive ELSEWHERE to fish. I guess the grass is always greener...
In my experience, the rockfishing is better down south than up here in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area.
Can we trade houses? lol

Upvote 0

AUSBW

Almost A Member
Sep 9, 2011
Irvine, CA.
Name
BK
Boat
NA
There are many great overnight boats out of SD, always first class operation w/ great service.
Out of OC, would highly recommend T-bird out of daveys,
Jeff fishes hard, always great count.
Good luck.
Bk

Upvote 0

stephenG

Nov 18, 2011
san clemente
Name
stephen
Boat
-
I have fished overnight out of Dana wharf 3 times. It's always been a quality trip that will get limits on rockfish and then either hit SCI kelp for calico or look around for YT or WSB. I have no complaints on any of my trip that I have taken with them. Agree with earlier comments about calling rather than booking online. Tight lines.

Upvote 0

mfpaul

Aug 24, 2010
san diego
I cant imagine living in San Diego and wanting to drive ELSEWHERE to fish. I guess the grass is always greener...
In my experience, the rockfishing is better down south than up here in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area.
Can we trade houses? lol

personally, my experience on the local 1/2 day trips has shown that the fishing is pretty inconsistent and the size of the fish is generally small compared to what may be available on the longer range 3/4 day and overnight trips available elsewhere. AND, the local 1/2 days may catch one or two lings and a few Sheephead's on any given trip. my sample size of one trip out of Ciscos shows a far larger quality of fish, limits on lings, and many more sheephead thrown in. I've been following the landing counts pretty consistently since last year and our local 1/2 day trips never limit out yet those from a few other landings seem to have far more fish on the boat consistently. granted, I can't attest to the size of fish they're catching but in terms of overall numbers, especially counting Lings, other landings definitely seem to produce better.

I go out on a local 1/2 day at least once a month and sometimes I'll do two. I don't have a boat so i have to go on the charter. I don't mind catching whatever is around because I just enjoy the time on the water but my own experience and following the fish counts has shown me that at least what is available locally is not quite as good as what is available at other spots to the north.

there aren't that many boats out of SD that do longer rock fishing trips. sure, a few do but those are the day and a half or longer trips and they don't seem to run that often and they are more expensive. as I already said, anything to the south requires a Mexican license and visa which adds another 30 bucks onto the ticket. Now if you want to chase YT and BFT then SD is definitely the place to fish.

Upvote 0

mfpaul

Aug 24, 2010
san diego
There are many great overnight boats out of SD, always first class operation w/ great service.

Bk

but none of the overnights generally have many rockfish or lings on the boat. they head down to the islands or further south to chase the YT and only drop lines for RF when the YT bite is absent. I check the fish counts for each of the four landings daily and have been doing so for a year and a half and only rarely will you ever see an overnight boat post more than a handful of RF in their counts.

Upvote 0

matta57

hack
May 30, 2010
goleta
Name
matt
Boat
none
personally, my experience on the local 1/2 day trips has shown that the fishing is pretty inconsistent and the size of the fish is generally small compared to what may be available on the longer range 3/4 day and overnight trips available elsewhere. AND, the local 1/2 days may catch one or two lings and a few Sheephead's on any given trip. my sample size of one trip out of Ciscos shows a far larger quality of fish, limits on lings, and many more sheephead thrown in. I've been following the landing counts pretty consistently since last year and our local 1/2 day trips never limit out yet those from a few other landings seem to have far more fish on the boat consistently. granted, I can't attest to the size of fish they're catching but in terms of overall numbers, especially counting Lings, other landings definitely seem to produce better.

I go out on a local 1/2 day at least once a month and sometimes I'll do two. I don't have a boat so i have to go on the charter. I don't mind catching whatever is around because I just enjoy the time on the water but my own experience and following the fish counts has shown me that at least what is available locally is not quite as good as what is available at other spots to the north.

there aren't that many boats out of SD that do longer rock fishing trips. sure, a few do but those are the day and a half or longer trips and they don't seem to run that often and they are more expensive. as I already said, anything to the south requires a Mexican license and visa which adds another 30 bucks onto the ticket. Now if you want to chase YT and BFT then SD is definitely the place to fish.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info. I can see where you are coming from then, Ventura/SB boats target lings consistently (barring the occasional WSB bite, rare) so if you like rockcodding, its good up here. Thanks again for the insight.

Upvote 0