kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I wonder if this includes all rock fish (the way I read it, it sounds like it does) Including the black rock fish and Ling cod??? If so, That's going to suck for Southeast Alakaka. I believe they have a pretty strict rules on Halibut, For the size and limit for charter boats.

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I just looked up pelagic and non pelagic rock fish from the ADFG and black rock fish are pelagic, because they are found in the mid column of the water and not on the bottom. I did not see Ling Cod on the list of pelagic or non pelagic list. Even though it lives on the bottom and rocky in and around structures, It did not say if ling cod are rock fish???? Are ling cod considered rock fish?? I've been fishing for over 40 years and I don't know,, Either I'm just dumb or naive???

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Southeast Alaska had major commercial fishing pressure on the yelloweye population for many years, it was a matter of time before they would close it. Same with lingcod, lots of commercial pressure and you can see it in the size of the fish ( go catch a 40 lber around Sitka if you can). I remember southeast 15 years ago when I was fishing commercially, they were lots of fish but you could see the decline in population. All my monster yelloweye were caught in southcentral anyway, Seward has some monsters in Ressurection Bay and Ayalak Cape but I can see this area being affected as well in the future

nicodemus

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
I just looked up pelagic and non pelagic rock fish from the ADFG and black rock fish are pelagic, because they are found in the mid column of the water and not on the bottom. I did not see Ling Cod on the list of pelagic or non pelagic list. Even though it lives on the bottom and rocky in and around structures, It did not say if ling cod are rock fish???? Are ling cod considered rock fish?? I've been fishing for over 40 years and I don't know,, Either I'm just dumb or naive???
Lingcod are not a rockfish. They also aren't a cod. They belong to the greenling family - Hexagrammidae. They also like to eat their little cousins, the greenling.

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
Lingcod are not a rockfish. They also aren't a cod. They belong to the greenling family - Hexagrammidae. They also like to eat their little cousins, the greenling.
Best bait you can ever find for a monster lingcod, almost guaranteed bite- it’s outlawed in Alaska but might be allowed in other places

Reactions: nicodemus

URN

Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
Best bait you can ever find for a monster lingcod, almost guaranteed bite- it’s outlawed in Alaska but might be allowed in other places
I was wondering if greenling could be used as bait when I caught a few near Fox Island. Are you able to point me in the right direction of where to read up on the regs for using the greenling as bait?

nicodemus

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
I was wondering if greenling could be used as bait when I caught a few near Fox Island. Are you able to point me in the right direction of where to read up on the regs for using the greenling as bait?
That's actually a tough one. A cursory skim doesn't indicate anything, doesn't mention greenling at all. I seem to recall this discussion in the past, and something about fish that don't have a bag limit - e.g. P-cod, etc. - CAN be used for bait. But I'm not positive. And, I don't know if greenling have a bag limit, I don't think they do. In any case, I'd contact ADFG there in Anchorage or Homer to see what they say.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

URN

Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
That's actually a tough one. A cursory skim doesn't indicate anything, doesn't mention greenling at all. I seem to recall this discussion in the past, and something about fish that don't have a bag limit - e.g. P-cod, etc. - CAN be used for bait. But I'm not positive. And, I don't know if greenling have a bag limit, I don't think they do. In any case, I'd contact ADFG there in Anchorage or Homer to see what they say.
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/web/nocache/regulations/fishregulations/PDFs/southcentral/2019sc_sfregs_complete.pdfB23D743A7C807FBB4DDD793040EE55B1/2019sc_sfregs_complete.pdf

See page 7:
USE OF SPORT-CAUGHT FISH AS BAIT
Unless provided for in this section, fish taken under sport fishing regulations may not be used as bait, except;
• Pink salmon taken as part of a sport fishing bag limit, may be used as bait in salt water. Pink and chum salmon can be used as bait in Prince William Sound salt water. (See additional information on Prince William Sound, page 82).
• Herring and whitefish may be used as bait,
Species for which bag limits, seasons, or other regulatory methods and means are not provided in sport fishing regulations may be used as bait,
• The head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used as bait.
• Live herring and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in sport fishing regulations may be used as live bait, except that live fish may not be used as bait for sport fishing in fresh water.
• Live bait may be possessed, transported, or released only in the salt waters of the regulatory area in which it was taken.

It appears that Greenling may be used as bait since there are no bag limits or regulations governing them.

Reactions: nicodemus

nicodemus

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/web/nocache/regulations/fishregulations/PDFs/southcentral/2019sc_sfregs_complete.pdfB23D743A7C807FBB4DDD793040EE55B1/2019sc_sfregs_complete.pdf

See page 7:
USE OF SPORT-CAUGHT FISH AS BAIT
Unless provided for in this section, fish taken under sport fishing regulations may not be used as bait, except;
• Pink salmon taken as part of a sport fishing bag limit, may be used as bait in salt water. Pink and chum salmon can be used as bait in Prince William Sound salt water. (See additional information on Prince William Sound, page 82).
• Herring and whitefish may be used as bait,
Species for which bag limits, seasons, or other regulatory methods and means are not provided in sport fishing regulations may be used as bait,
• The head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used as bait.
• Live herring and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in sport fishing regulations may be used as live bait, except that live fish may not be used as bait for sport fishing in fresh water.
• Live bait may be possessed, transported, or released only in the salt waters of the regulatory area in which it was taken.

It appears that Greenling may be used as bait since there are no bag limits or regulations governing them.
There you go!

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
I would check with Fish and Game just to be sure.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Are they good as live bait fly lined or on a sinker?