longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat Name
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Got the invite from Michael's buddy John to fish south overnight on his beautiful parker 2520. We left shelter at 630 with 5 dudes and high hopes of the killer night bite going on down south. We picked up 2 healthy scoops of bait and cleared the point with an awesome sunset.
    IMG_6799.jpg

We made our way south and got into the zone around 10 and found the fleet of 60+ or so boats looking around. We looked all night and never found any substance and soon realized we were a day late on the night bite. It looked and sounded like a lot of boats struggled through the night in that zone at least.

Once the sun started to come up we worked our way north and started to see some decent surface signal. We put the trollers out and picked up a small bluefin on the cedar plug on the wind in, go figure. We bounced around from school to school all morning without any action. We did find 1 kelp holding some nice sized yellows and put a handful on the boat.

Once we got above the upper hidden and north east of it we started to find more spots that had some bigger fish mixed in. One of the spots reacted to the chum and stuck with the boat long enough for me to trick one into biting the flyline on 40#.
    IMG_6811(1).jpg
    IMG_6813.jpg
    IMG_6821(1).jpg

We chased schools the rest of the day and they wanted nothing to do with the poppers or jigs. On one of the last stops John gets blown up on the retrieve of his dean right by the boat on 30#. By the size of the boil and the line disappearing off his reel we knew this was a bigger fish. We chased the fish down for a bit to get some line back and watched the fish come up quick just to see what kinda boat we were in before stalling out at 60ft. John put the wood to this fish and unfortunately the fish one in the end. We called it soon after needing to get back to the dock. There was a tremendous amount of fish around and is a good sign of things to come.

Thanks for the invite John it was a great time with lots of laughs!

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    AP
    Boat Name
    None
    Did the swell ever come up? Seems like Windy App has been calling for 5’, plus most of the last 1.5 week? Calling for 8+ this weekend. Looks fairly flat in the pics.

Reactions: longboard85
    Upvote 0

JohnnyK87137

JohnnyK87137
  • Sep 25, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Name
    JOHN
    Boat Name
    2019 Parker 2520XLD
    Great time with ya Cody. That damn 30 string and small hook gets bit!!! Wish some had a pic of that rod bent in half. Let’s go hit it again soon. Sounds like you guys are going out this week go do the damage we most defiantly should have done. And you are very welcome brotha. Any time!

May 8, 2015
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat Name
    Buck Nasty
    Great time with ya Cody. That damn 30 string and small hook gets bit!!! Wish some had a pic of that rod bent in half. Let’s go hit it again soon. Sounds like you guys are going out this week go do the damage we most defiantly should have done. And you are very welcome brotha. Any time!
    I got one shot of you with that fish. Can't see the rod to well though.

20220430_134248.jpg

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Awesome job, Cody & Co. Tagging & bagging like always.

Just curious, anything you would have done differently if you'd been at the helm? Different break, zones, or game plan?

Upvote 0

mkfriedrich

• Jun 26, 2013
    San Diego CA
    Name
    michael friedrich
    Boat Name
    Liberty
    Good times with great company. We fished hard and long. And might I add, John could have easily got his fish, but in the sake of no sleep and 30lb string, he did exactly what I would have done. Put it in coming in or coming off mode. None the less, a great trip with the boys, and I can promise you that we will kill a lot of these things this season. Tern bird😂

Upvote 0