South Shores boat launch parking area for homeless parking

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by finfan, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Thank you for making that call....it's greatly appreciated!!

Now we need a couple hundred more.

Out of the thousands of BD members and fisherman....that should be a breeze right?

I mean what's a 2 minute (at most) call leaving just a message. Is that really to much of a sacrifice out of a persons precious day?

The unknown fisherman:p:

2. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    We have our fair share here in Phoenix along with the god damn illegals being dropped off ICE at local churches at the rate of about 200 a day. Both suck !! But nothing like Cali..

3. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    The liberals will not allow the homeless to be put in any adverse conditions. Those are the ones that rule on these decisions. Your really fighting an uphill battle with the current administration that runs not only the state but the cities.

Find a new launch ramp.:)

4. One_Leg

One_Leg Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    I will get a motorhome to camp there and then you can rent the hide-a-bed and cab over bunk for the going rate, but you better hurry quick b'cuz the rate is gonna be going up quick.

5. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    BTW- you guys should see how “your guy” Scott Sherman has voted on some of these proposals. It might surprise you. I don’t know his position at all, you just may want to check and be sure he is still on the fishermen’s side of this. He’s been very silent on this board,but that could be just because it’s better to be.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    plj46 likes this.
  6. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Now that's the spirit!!

Completely wrong attitude entirely.

If you're gonna win battles, you can't think like a loser. This launch ramp issue can be easily won, but it's gonna take a few simple steps to get things going, and that's not going to be negativity and saying it can't be done, or worse yet "pick another launch ramp"

So when the street in front of your homes driveway gets a huge pothole, do you make a stand and contact the city to fix it, or do you ignore it and keep trying to drive over and around it.....or better yet, do you just sell your house and move to another?

The smart approach is to tackle it head on as soon as you realize there is an issue, because ignoring it, or moving to another place still doesn't fix the issue at hand, and the longer you and others procrastinate and put it off, the bigger that pothole and problem becomes.

Did you call?

One_Leg, BiggestT and ColdEye like this.
  7. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC

Now this I'm with ya on.

Can't say this is the case, but money sure seems to change most people.....sad.

Although Scott Sherman use to frequent here pretty regularly, it's hard to say if he still does.

Enlight of this recent situation regarding the South Shores launch ramp, I would like to think that he sure should be paying this place a visit concerning some of these issues.

He sure was quick to ask his fellow BD fisherman for their support when he was in the running to be elected, so where are ya now Scott, cause we sure could use you on this....or were we just being played for some votes?

8. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    really? this IS politics...easily won ? :rofl::rofl:

9. One_Leg

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    We should burn down their store and blame it on homeless people. Quote by Mateo

10. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Yes, the launch ramp site issue can definitely be "easily won"

Many years ago there was a proposed paid parking for the beaches in Pacific Beach. Me and a bunch of buddies along with many others spearheaded and put together a rally of what became a huge amount of people at the next town council meeting.

Due to the overwhelming amount of people who voiced strongly against paid parking at the beaches, the idea was quickly tossed out.

This was roughly 30 years or more ago. My roomate and good buddy at the time was a local artist who drew and created the cartoon Wilbur Kookmyer in Surfer Magazine. My buddy Bob and I went out and bought wood sticks and supplies, and Bob spent a few days painting signs that looked like realistic parking signs, although these signs said "NO PAID PARKING".

At the city council meeting, we handed these signs out to numerous people, and the amount of people who showed up was far more than what could fit in the school auditorium. It was standing room only inside as well as those outside, with all sorts of people holding these signs and chanting "No Paid Parking". Like said before, it was highly effective.....the local news showed up and aired it and the idea was squashed!!

So yes! Enough people making a stink can truly make a difference and kill this idea. Because as of right now, this is just that, it's simply an idea, but a really bad one at that.

eric harner likes this.
  11. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352

you are joking, right ?

you cant seriously be comparing what worked over 30 years ago versus what ya need to do versus the loony left of today ?

I do agree that this IS a very bad stupid idea...

12. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    No, I'm not joking at all, and yes I'm very serious!
    The proposed paid parking idea was in reality a much larger deal than this issue here. Im not talking in scale to the homeless problem now, as that is a huge deal, and that in itself isn't something that's going to be fixed easily or quickly at all.
    I'm purely talking about the crazy idea of making the South Shores launch ramp parking lot a place for people to park their vehicles and sleep at night....... and that is what can easily be squashed and put to rest rather quickly with enough adament opposition to the idea.

This idea just recently came to be by one woman. It's just an idea, and one that suddenly is being tossed about, as she is trying to kickstart other people and city leaders to come up with locations as well.

I'll give her credit for trying to come up with and idea and plan, but as most of us can see, it's a terrible one.

When enough people oppose a proposed idea and it happens quick enough, it has a very real chance of getting shutdown and they will then continue their search for a better suited location....but this one definitely isn't it....not by a long shot.

It's like when you first feel the very slight signs of a cold coming on.....if you catch it right away and do a few key things, you can ace it before it ever grabs ahold and makes your life hell for a spell. The key is attacking back right away and before it really grabs hold...because once that happens, then yeah, it then will be too late, and you will then be in for a much longer run.

I think right now, we are still in the very early stages, but we need to jumpstart this thing and get mass people doing very simple and quick things like making these calls and leaving messages or even emails....but if nothing else, do at least one of those! Once we really grab their attention, then we will go from there, but YES, we can beat down this bad idea and crush it real quick like....but only if we raise some hell right now.

I can say this.....I've grown up here by Mission Bay and Pacific Beach my entire life. Ive had my share of incredible days fishing on these waters. I could quit now and always be stoked looking back on the fun times I had.
    I'm not bitching about this ramp thing so much for me...ive had my fill. I'm doing this more so for the up and comers, our kids, my kids, your kids and their grandkids!
    I know what fishing did for me as a young kid. It gave me a passion and a killer hobby as a kid. It gave me goals to scratch together and buy my first boat, a Sears Seaking which I completely refurbished better than new.
    I built mahogany wood seats in woodshop, and I fabricated my boat trailer too, all at Mission Bay High School, and I saved every penny and fished whenever I could. These and other reasons are why I adamently oppose paid launch ramps.....for numerous reasons, I think they are very very wrong!! But the cities want every money grab they can conjure up, even if it's at the expense of keeping some kids on a good clean healthy path, or also that struggling single dad or mom who is just barely able to save enough coin to buy a cheap but fishable boat so they can bond and create lifetime memories with their kids.....this is the reason imo that our launch ramps must always stay free to use for all. ;)

If any of you haven't already, please please make that quick n easy call.
    Thanks!

RodRage likes this.
  13. RodRage

RodRage Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat:
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    With all due respect Sir something similar was tried recently here in Oc after the homeless invasion along the Santa Ana river, Very few signed up and most that had waivers for hotels made a mess and created havoc, It was a complete failure! Santa Ana parks and freeway underpasses are loaded with junkies and Theo Lacey jail lets more out each day. Supporting the homeless to me is the same as supporting an 18yr old kid that sits around and plays video games all day, NOT gunna happen!

jbarto, BiggestT and bparker1225 like this.
  14. One_Leg

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    A great day for those who have not yet called to take a couple minutes to make their opinion be known to the decision makers who will finally settle this matter.

?? fisherman and plj46 like this.
  15. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    I met a friend at South Shores just the other day, we needed to exchange a couple items, and there are a bunch of older motorhomes there now.. we were not there 5 minutes and some person most likely homeless tried to sell us a container with some fishing tackle...
    It looks like that there are some there now.......
    It was Friday around 9:30 am....

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  16. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I hope anybody that had time to post here made time to make a quick phone call.We can pretty much forget about that ramp if it becomes a homeless parking lot.

One_Leg likes this.
  17. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Those boat ramps were paid for by boater registration fees. They belong to the boaters for their use. By definition, homeless paid nothing towards them, so there is no nexus for their use. That is how you argue and fight this.

Up in Missoula, Montana they are considering imposing a $2 use fee for anyone using the river access ramps who does not have a fishing license. The fishing license fees pay for the river access ramps and they're tired of all the drunken rafters and the trash the leave in the rivers during the summers. Those rafters need to pay for use.

https://helenair.com/news/state-and...cle_1f9c0d6e-6959-5b72-aace-b505e0325c67.html

One_Leg likes this.
  18. Spearo4Life

Spearo4Life Member

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    23' Blackman Albie Special "salty dream"
    I made the call and left a message. I personally am sick of the bathrooms being used to shoot up and smoke meth at both south shores and mission bay. It’s getting to the point you wouldn’t even want to take a young kid fishing there because you don’t want to subject them to this BS

I don’t live in the city of San Diego. So I can’t help vote this bitch out. For those of you that do make sure you vote against her and make it known on your voicemail to her that you will be doing so...

BiggestT likes this.
  19. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Thank you for taking the little bit of time to make the call.....we need all the calls we can get right now.....thanks!

20. RodRage

RodRage Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat:
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Just called in and gave my 2cents!

?? fisherman likes this.