South bay beaches

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by Sakanayasan, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Sakanayasan

Sakanayasan Newbie

Name:
    JT
    Boat:
    FishMagnet
    its been years since Ive fished along the southbay beaches, mostly summertime for corbina, and especially at Torrance beach. Anyone know whats been going on as far as fishing lately along these spots? My friend fished Torrance Sunday morning for not a bite! He’s using a carolina rig with an 8# setup, gulp worm and sand crabs.

2. doug wille

doug wille _BigWille

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    freedom boat club; light load open party where the fish are
    not sure what's going on, but i had similar result with similar setup thursday morning and friday at sunset in santa monica, although i did manage 1 nice croaker. i haven't fished the surf in months, but i've never had such few bites especially in the summer and i don't remember the water ever being as warm as it was last week! even during the el nino yrs. seems like the fish were offshore in cooler water. figure i'll wait til it cools off a bit and try again.

3. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    I've seen a fish or two this year, but not in the ankle wash. Fish I've seen have been 3 ft. or deeper. Just FYI, corbs don't like gulp. Softshells, clams or bloodworms are much better.

4. Sakanayasan

Sakanayasan Newbie

Name:
    JT
    Boat:
    FishMagnet
    Yes, I always used bloodworms or softshells, but cant find too many of those much anymore. My friend actually caught a 16” corbina on a gulp worm though, but only one...rest have been croaker.

5. jim isbell

jim isbell Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    I have not been fishing that far north--but I have had good luck of late with "the long rod", I always carry two, one for fishing the wash just a short distance out, and the long stick to get out there a bit. I have used Lug worms, threaded way up the line (hard to rob the bait) and just recently caught the largest yellowfin croaker I have ever seen, almost 18 inches. And several nice Spotfin Croaker too. Four ounces of weight, pyramid shape to stick and a large sand spike. Braid, 20 pound main line feeding a 6 pound fluoro leader

YellowfinCroakerJulySunset2018.jpg